• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Not a Bug No Personal Flag

ExtincE

Sailor Apprentice
Hey Guys,

When I first installed the Build Mod and started a Nathaniel Hawk campaign, my chosen personal flag would grace the sails and flags of my ships while sailing. Since then, I have started over many times due to bugs, glitches, mistakes and so on.

At one point I also had my personal flag, but at some point it simply changed to what I see as a pirate logo. Namely a skull with 2 guns crossed in front of it.

Since then, no matter what settings I use and regardless of starting new campaigns, I either have plain sails, the default sails for the ship, and if I have emblemed sails, it is ALWAYS that emblem, no matter what I seem to do.

I'd really like to get my personal flag back as emblem on my Ships as I really liked that feature.

In my initial campaigns I usually went with the EIC flag as personal one, but now I'm leaning towards the flag that is by default selected for jack sparrow in his story line. Plain white flag, red cross, and red bird in the corner.

Hope you guys can help me :)

Are we talking about Sails or Flags?

For Sails, go to F2>Ship>Sails>Choose Sails and choose what you want.

For Flag, go to F2>Nation Relations and hoist whichever flag you want to be flying (Personal in this case).
You can also choose a different Personal (or Pirate) flag in the same interface by clicking on it.

Note that Sail and Flag designs aren't really linked.

It's also possible that the "Options" file has become corrupted, which can cause all sorts of weirdness, which means clearing the file can cure various sorts of weirdness. It's in the top level of the game install folder. Delete it. The game will create a new "Options" file next time you run it, whether starting anew or continuing a savegame. If you customised any settings in the "Options" menu, e.g. realism settings, keyboard assignments etc., you'll need to set them again.

Yes sorry I wasn't very clear. I mean sail emblems. When going to sails and picking sails and then for emblemed sails, it also shows the skull sail rather than my personal flag emblem.

I'll try resetting the options file:)

Virtually all Personal Flags don't exist as Sails at all, so I'm afraid the feature you referred to was never there... :unsure

As @Pieter Boelen said, sail emblems and flag emblems are not linked. Changing one will have no effect on the other, and emblems on Personal and Pirate flags may not, indeed probably will not, match emblems on sails. Follow @Pieter Boelen's instructions to change the sails:
For Sails, go to F2>Ship>Sails>Choose Sails and choose what you want.
You should then be able to choose whichever emblem you like. The skull with crossed pistols is in fact not a pirate sail emblem, it's the default Personal sail emblem.

There is no sail emblem matching the Jack Sparrow variant of an English flag. The nearest you'll get is the English emblem.

Ahhh... I guess I have mislead myself then!

On my first ever campaign in the Build Mod, I had selected the 'amsterdam' flag as personal flag. That flag IS available as a sail emblem as well. Hence I assumed, the national flag you choose is represented as the emblem on your sails! But this is not the case at all then!

Would be a very nice feature though I think :)

On my first ever campaign in the Build Mod, I had selected the 'amsterdam' flag as personal flag. That flag IS available as a sail emblem as well. Hence I assumed, the national flag you choose is represented as the emblem on your sails!
Ah; that explains a lot!
Of course the Amsterdam flag would exist on both ends, because... well... one of our senior modders happens to like Amsterdam rather a lot. :razz
(Yes, that modder is me. ;) )

Would be a very nice feature though I think :)
Would be. But somebody would have to make a LOT of new sail textures.

... and then add them to "kam_selectsails.c" as well as "interface_strings.txt" so that you can select them. ;)

Of course, if you want Jack Sparrow's English cross with a red bird, you could just modify "sail_whole_white_nation0.tga.tx", which is the standard English sail; add the swallow; save it under a a new name; and then add just that one to "kam_selectsails.c" and "interface_strings.txt". Anyone else who wants one or more of the other Personal flags copied onto a sail can do it themselves!

It has a bit on sails, but it's to do with locators. There might be something about sails buried in one of the other sections, but even if there is, by the time you've found it, you could probably have done the job anyway.

Basically, you need TX Convertor:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/cloud/repository/Tools/Modeling+Texturing/TX Convertor.zip
This converts the .tga.tx files used by the game into .tga files, and vice versa.

You also need a picture-editing program capable of handling .tga files.

Sail textures are in "RESOURCE\Textures\Ships\Sails". You can use TX Convertor to look at them without actually converting anything, pick the one you want to start with, then convert it. Do what you want to the .tga file, save it under a new name, then use TX Convertor to convert your new file to .tga.tx format.

Then you need to add it to "PROGRAM\INTERFACE\kam_selectsails.c". Find this line:
Code:
#define SAILSTYPE_SPECIAL_COUNT 15
Add 1 to the number because you're adding 1 new special sail. (Unless you're adding more than 1 new sail, in which case do the obvious.)

Below that are the definitions of the special sails. Currently at the end of the list is this:
Code:
   SpecialSailsDescr[14] = "Sails with the coat of arms of the Holy Roman Empire."
   SpecialSailsNormal[14] = "sail_weathered_common.tga";
   SpecialSailsEmblem[14] = "sail_holy_roman_empire.tga";
You want to add three more similar lines. 'SpecialSailsDescr[15]' will be the description of your new sail.

'SpecialSailsNormal[15]' will be the sails used where the emblem is not - you'll have seen that not all sails carry the skull and pistol emblem, and this line tells the system what to use for the non-emblem sails, which is most of them. "sail_whole_white_plain.tga" is a good one to use if you're using "sail_whole_white_nation0.tga" as the starting point for your new sail. (Don't add the ".tx". The game will do that.)

'SpecialSailsEmblem[15]' will be the sail with the emblem. Put the name of your new file here.

Finally, edit "RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\interface_strings.txt". Find the section with all the other sail descriptions. Each line has a copy of what is in "kam_selectsails.c", then another copy of the same in brackets, e.g.
Code:
Sails with the coat of arms of the Holy Roman Empire.{Sails with the coat of arms of the Holy Roman Empire.}
Add a similar line with a copy of whatever you put into "kam_selectsails.c".

And then, when you're finished, play the game and see if your new sail can be selected in the "Choose Sails" interface. If so, see what your ship looks like. Post a screenshot. If it works, upload the files, I'll put them into an update and credit you accordingly. (And your girlfriend, if she did the artwork and you tell me her name.)

Back