• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

New Treasure Island film in the works

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
According to a new article over at Deadline Hollywood, Warner Bros has picked Guy Ritchie to helm yet another new version of Robert Louis Stevenson’s classic book Treasure Island. For those of you not familiar, Ritchie was the director responsible for the 2009 butchering of Sherlock Holmes. This does not bode well for a faithful retelling of the book, just like last years Steve Barron directed version of the film. I thought about posting a review of that one, but I couldn't make it through the first half hour. While I am always glad to find a new pirate film in the works, I am a bit disappointed that it is yet another incarnation of this book.

Treasure Island is one of my favorite books of all time, an absolute classic without question. There is a reason it is a classic, and I would absolutely love to see a faithful recreation put on film. So far the only version to even come close was the 1990 made for TV version starring Charlton Heston and a young Christian Bale. If you haven't seen that one, I highly recommend watching it! What it boils down to is that it is much easier and cheaper for the big movie companies to bastardize this classic with someone's else's "interpretation" of the film, than it is to come up with an original and compelling story to compete with it! There are so many other compelling stories out there, both from actual history and from other fictional books, that are very much worth being made in to films. I sincerely hope I am wrong about this one!

Attachments

• Treasure_Island-Scribner's-1911.jpg
    Treasure_Island-Scribner's-1911.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 28
Guy Ritchie? Oh great. Didn't like that Sherlock Holmes mess; didn't seem like Sherlock Holmes even in the slightest.

I like the Disney version, but that one is quite dated by now and feels like there's something missing about it.
Maybe a certain sense of seriousness while not being TOO serious. Dark and gritty just plain sucks.

Back