• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

New Sun and Lens Flare

DeathDaisy

Freebooter
Storm Modder
Hiya!

As I played I found the sun to be more and more offensively ugly and figured it couldn't be that hard to improve somewhat, so I did a higher resolution texture for the sun and the lens flare. The lens flare is a hexagonal shape that usually shows up in photo cameras and not in moving images, but I think they're nice.

Both textures are 1024x1024, reasonably compressed, shouldn't be a performance hazard. I guess most here are fairly adept at installing mods, but just in case; extract the folders in the archive to RESOURCE\Textures\WEATHER\SUN\

Picture of the sun in action:
6wgxxFv.png

EDIT: Added the latest edition containing a smaller sun (about original size, instead of huge and scorching), the new lens flare which I'm quite pleased with, and new colors for the water reflections during sunny mornings to match the new sun. If you want 'em all, just extract into the root PotC folder. If you want just the flare, which is the best part, it's in RESOURCE\Textures\WEATHER\SUN\FLARE

Look downthread to see what's changed!

Attachments

• NewSun&Flare-2017-08-31.rar
    946.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
The sun may look a bit oval during certain times of day, I tried to fix it, but it seems the sun actually changes shape over the course of the day, so that's that I suppose.
Still better than it was, right? :woot

I discovered the water reflection in the mornings was far too red for the new sun texture, so I tinkered for a while and came up with a new color scheme that fits much better and I'm reasonably happy with.

If someone happens to be using the textures, I recommend using these new values too! Just put the files in PROGRAM\Weather\Init.

New morning colors:
8nrJCx3.jpg

It only changes the color values and nothing else, so it shouldn't break. Feel free to tell me if I somehow missed a time or weather that doesn't fit too!

Attachments

• WhrInitValues.c
    13.6 KB · Views: 99
  • WhrSetAzmAng.c
    28.2 KB · Views: 94
No, I'm busy matching things between the fixed 7th July install and the new 11th July install, plus sorting out the latest incarnation of HMS Indefatigable. But the sun looks rather too big in the screenshot in post #6.

I tried it out. It is too big and bright as it takes up 1/3rd of the sky, so I replaced it with the stock sun.

New sun of a more reasonable size. It's about the same size as the vanilla sun now, with variations in shape of haze and beams ofc.

LUxZMR8.png

I'm much happier with it, but a mod is never done as I'm sure you well know :p, and I might tweak more as I go. I'd love to hear how it works out, colors can vary on different screens, tastes can vary in different brains and also I'm going cross-eyed from looking at slightly different variants of the sun.

Just put the new file in RESOURCE\Textures\WEATHER\SUN\GLOW

Attachments

• sunglow.rar
    628.6 KB · Views: 78
Back