• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

New PA front page!

Do you read the news on PAs front page?

• Total voters

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
Keith has had the new main page up for the past week or so, I was just curious how many of you scallywags are actually reading it, or at least looking at the pretty engravins! Please don't just vote, post and explain your vote! Oh, btw, you can find it HERE!

Pretty good start. I particularly like the discussion on the starboard side.

I usually skip front pages and go right to the forum action, though. Too busy preening my hair to read the news otherwise. (and I would vote for the relevant option if you had one :3 )

It's got a nice layout. :yes I didn't even know there was a new news page until I read this. xD: Will the game reviews be coming back, or are they gone?

That's one reason I posted this ;)

I don't know for sure what Keith has planned, but I sure hope he brings them back! I know there are still a few things he is working on, but I thought ya'll might like a little preview. They were getting some views, I was going to put up a review of CoAS to go along with yours, but I hadn't got around to it yet.

I know a lot of people just jump strait to the forums, that's the way it's always been. The Blogs feature might be kind of interesting, I'm thinking about posting my pirate news as a blog and see how that looks, it might be a little easier to follow that way for those who are interested, the forum thread is kind of tough to follow sometimes! I am almost done with Pirate Latitudes as well, I may post a review of that on a blog too.

I'm all for blogs. I'd be a follower of yours and I'd like one of my own, to discuss such as POTC modding experiments, topics of maritime history, Sea Shepherds, etc.

I would definitely read yours as well SWS! I have avoided blogging like the plague, but I guess maybe it's time to give it a try. I shouldn't be lacking for material to write about any time soon!

Well what are we waiting for then, set that up already :3

Seriously, this is a good way to act on one of the major flaws of this site (the way I see it) - the lack of public activity/interest.

Why not bring in some real world current affairs stuff? Who knows, in years, we could have our own maritime interest group. Make use of that knowledge my dear...

I see I'm an advocate of striking while the iron is hot so.... where is our blog!?

I have avoided blogging like the plague

I as well.

But it's easy to get the ball rolling and keeping it rolling once we have a mindset that says "this is my idea, either like what I write or go screw yourself", just like we have proven in the Build 14 manual project. Not to mention sailing two ships is better than one... or god forbid, zero :3

We're good for blogs :) Just signup on the VB main site with a "-" after your name, that way there won't be any mixup when I do the importing. I don't know how well I can link the 2 accounts afterward (could be as easy as just a cut/paste) but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

With the reviews, I'll be putting them up, all the data from the old website is still around (oldmain.piratesahoy.net, does not work properly atm) and I'll be copying over good stuff like that when the VB goes gold (after I convert the forum). In the future people will still be able to do reviews, but based more link an article. That way people can comment and rate simply instead of having a whole static review system.

Great! I think the only thing we need next is a properly piratey theme for this site and forum.

And I think we need some viral marketing exposure too - facebook, youtube etc on the front page. Something like what we have on moddb with some of the projects around here. Embedded vids etc.

Oh and welcome gentlemen to the beginning of the end...
http://piratesahoy.net/blog.php/35-snow-white-sorrow

Yeah, alot of the extra's I'll put on when VB4 has it's first real release, it's still beta now so I dont want to reinvent the wheel for every build :)

Heading to your blog now for a read :onya

Oh that's just a teaser. I haven't activated the article writing frenzy mode yet... (Mostly because I'm not sure if Thagarr is keen to put up the pirate news blog, and my manual for B14 appears to have about 3 fans)

Thanks for the info Keith! I figured you had something like that in mind. :onya

SWS, that's because it hasn't been released yet, once we get it finalized and released with the build, you will have to fight em off with a stick! I have a couple of days off now, I'll see if I can get something up for a blog in the next day or so.

Don't worry about not getting much feedback from different people on your manual.
It's VERY rare that you do get feedback from many people. But your effort IS very much appreciated,
so continue by all means. *nods head violently*

Second blog entry is a "Today in History" that bears superficial relevance to the subject of fantasy piracy, but for students of naval warfare...

http://piratesahoy.n...oday-in-History

Oh and if you could move the "recent blogs" little box to the top I'm sure I would attract more random passers by. Big box would be lovely, that is, when Thagarr sets up the competition!

The competition has arrived! :ixi My first blog entry is my review of Pirate Latitudes!

Great job! It definitely piqued my interest in Michael Crichton. Don't mind me if I do not rapid-fire a blog post of mine tonight, as I'm headed back to work tomorrow!

Thanks mate! It really is a good read! Easy with the rapid-fire talk.... Did I mention I only have a one shot pistol! :woot

That looks good, Thagarr! I definitly like your review. I'll probably pick up Pirate Latitudes myself eventually.
Though first I have to finish the book I'm currently reading, which happens to be Michael Chrichton's 'Congo'.

*German Accent* Ze long term plan is to have Thagarr review all the popular and mundane topics to attract the most views while I play the mad scientist to deal with niche markets and prevent the appearance of hate-mail spamming naysayers.

That didn't sound right, did it?

Back