• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

New Mary Rose museum opens tomorrow

Armada

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Project Manager
3D Artist
Storm Modder
A brand new museum to house the wreck of the famous Tudor warship, Mary Rose, is set to open its doors to the public for the first time on 31st May.

The £35 million purpose-built structure is situated next to HMS Victory in Portsmouth's Historic Dockyard, which itself is not far from where the Mary Rose was launched in 1510.

mary-rose-museum-home.jpg

A view of the new museum from behind HMS Victory.

Its opening marks the first time visitors will be able to see the wreck without it being hidden behind a cloud of wax-based preservatives, with which it had been constantly sprayed until last month, when the jets were finally turned off.

The hull will remain in a 'hot box' with viewing windows until it has completely dried out in fours years' time, when it will be made completely visible with no obstructions.

This is also the first time visitors will see all the recovered artefacts displayed next to the ship itself, as opposed to being in a separate building. The ship's bell was the final artefact to be placed in the museum earlier today, as part of a day long event to celebrate the opening.

The Mary Rose was King Henry VIII's flagship, and served for 34 years before capsizing on 18th July, 1545. More than 500 men and boys drowned as she sank, many getting caught in netting designed to repel boarders. The exact cause of her sinking is still uncertain.

%5Ccatalogueimg%5Crsg01sidirz2djfqilrkfh4513042009171249.jpg

This painting by Geoff Hunt depicts how the ship would have looked.

For more information about the museum and the Mary Rose's story, visit the official website here: http://www.maryrose.org/

Attachments

• Mary-Rose-logo.jpg
    Mary-Rose-logo.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 34
Cool! Gives me an added incentive to go and visit the Victory for REAL some day!
Last time I was in Portsmouth, I managed to just about miss her. :facepalm

would love to see HMS rose, (HMS Surprise) more, But This Look's Great. too far for me to travel though. thank's for the new's Armada.

ps:keep getting bandwidth error's when trying to view the website. looks like they need to upgrade ^_^

would love to see HMS rose, (HMS Surprise) more, But This Look's Great. too far for me to travel though. thank's for the new's Armada.
Well, SHE's in San Diego, isn't she? But then she's not a REAL ship, but a replica.

Well, SHE's in San Diego, isn't she? But then she's not a REAL ship, but a replica.

yup. but isn't this one a remake too?

"The Mary Rose was King Henry VIII's flagship, and served for 34 years before capsizing on 18th July, 1545. More than 500 men and boys drowned as she sank, many getting caught in netting designed to repel boarders. The exact cause of her sinking is still uncertain."

No, this is the real one, salvaged from the bottom of the sea:
Its opening marks the first time visitors will be able to see the wreck without it being hidden behind a cloud of wax-based preservatives, with which it had been constantly sprayed until last month, when the jets were finally turned off.

Sick, Did not know that. . how is it still that good though.
if i could go see it i would.
Australia Suck's in the way of Nice Stuff >.>

ps:keep getting bandwidth error's when trying to view the website. looks like they need to upgrade ^_^

Apparently the site is very busy with large amounts of people trying to buy tickets, so it's experiencing problems.

From what I gather, she still looks like a wreck. But a wreck you can actually go and see because what is left has now been properly conserved.

It looks more like a wreck than a ship, that's for sure. Here's a photo taken when the ship was still being sprayed in the old museum:
maryrose2.jpg

The ship has been like that since the 1980s when she was raised from the seabed, and many people visited the wreck in the old museum (myself included) before it was closed for the upgrade, so by now I think most people know what to expect. :wp See the Wikipedia page for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_rose

The ship has been like that since the 1980s when she was raised from the seabed, and many people visited the wreck in the old museum (myself included) before it was closed for the upgrade, so by now I think most people know what to expect. :wp See the Wikipedia page for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_rose

just making sure :) all the picture's i have seen on it look like its a replica. or rebuilt. i was not aware of it being in this condition, but i would still see her ;)

Isn't there a replica of the Mary Rose too somewhere? But it's not this one.

Isn't there a replica of the Mary Rose too somewhere? But it's not this one.
You may be thinking of the replica of the Mathew moored at Bristol. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_(ship)
(The English explorer John Cabot's ship)

She is the same era of ship as the Mary Rose, but a much smaller English Caravel as opposed to a War Carrack. There are plans and a bunch of pics of the Mary Rose at the end of my Carracks Flickr set. Now if we could get some ships like this modeled, I could get GOF Eras Module 1 going. http://www.flickr.com/photos/49225014@N05/sets/72157632238978960/

MK

Thanks for sharing those pics, MK! Some of those designs are fascinating; I'm amazed that some of those ships could even stay upright.

The Mary Rose has always been one of the ships I'd love to recreate, though whether I'll get the opportunity remains to be seen. I always have so much to do here. :type1

1497! Cabot! I keep forgetting some explorers. Hmm. Could the Caravel Redonda be re rigged to mach this ship?

Back