• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released Neptunus Privateer

It does, yes. In that respect, the stock game ships were quite nice. Two textures, one for the ship's hull and one for everything else and that's it.
The new models have LOTS of textures each. And while there's thankfully some re-using of textures, it's still not enough for them to not be a huge hit on modpack size...
Luckily, that's not the case for the Christianus Sextus, though. I'm using textures for her that the Poseidon models use, and while there's several of them, they're mostly quite small.
That's thanks to some textures being 'repeated', which is done to the model in Maya, which basically means you can make a full-size texture using lots of the same small one.

Luckily, that's not the case for the Christianus Sextus, though. I'm using textures for her that the Poseidon models use, and while there's several of them, they're mostly quite small.
That's thanks to some textures being 'repeated', which is done to the model in Maya, which basically means you can make a full-size texture using lots of the same small one.
Sounds good. I am familiar with tiling texture files. I've actually done some 3D modeling myself many years ago, but was never good enough at it to be able to create wooden sailing ships to the standard of our games.
However, I did do these two:
bremen.jpg
ever.jpg

And I maintain that the MS Bremen is pretty good. :cheeky

She does looks good! I dare say you should familiarise yourself with Maya sometime... you might be able to do more than you give yourself credit for! :wp

I'm sure I could eventually learn it if I put myself to it, but I've got enough to do as it is. :facepalm

I realise that and appreciate that you do a heck of a lot already. :bow

What I was hinting at really was that, eventually, you could begin to modify existing ships, rather than build them from scratch.
That's how I started out, and I only learnt about tiling texture files by examining the CS model recently, so I'm still figuring out more about Maya all the time. :mm

I realise that and appreciate that you do a heck of a lot already. :bow
Sometimes I do, yes. :wp
There's a lot of things I still want to do though. I've got ideas aplenty. I don't see myself doing any modeling though;
if I ever get the to-do stuff done, I'm thinking I wouldn't mind to do some storyline coding.

If it's storyline coding you want, it's likely you'll end up helping Legendary_Spider with his US idea.
That's something I certainly want to see beginning take shape after Beta 2... :cheeky

Once Beta 2 is done, I'll be going back to sea again shortly after. Won't be able to do much there.
Then when I come back, it'll be time for another patch. Then I want to continue trying to do some sort of finishing work on Build 14.
But if I ever get to storyline coding, the one I'd work on is the Jack Sparrow one, trying to get the other films added too.

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting we've still not got beyond the Curse of the Black Pearl. Good point. :yes

Maybe wait until later and add some of the other ships in first that we know what to do with?
Alternatively, put this rigging on some of the Neptunus versions, but not all?

Here are two versions of the first edition gaff-yard- with reversed lightning and without it:

http://pyratesahoy.com/potc/Rider88/Neptunus1_rey_a4/

I hope one of them will help to solve the reverse lightning bug in potc version of Neptunus.

This is the rey_a4 for the Neptunus that does not appear to have the reverse lighting bug. :onya

Now I am tinkering with the early Neptunus in between real world stuff like Christmas shopping. :xmas I don't even know what to call her.

I've been amusing myself by repainting the early Neptunus. What should period colors for this ship look like? I get green for the Dutch, but...........

That is one I dressed up for Christmas with a texture from the Revenge. It's probably the least correct one.

I've gone about as far as I'm going to with the rigging, so now it is time to paint. :eww How many of these do we want and what colors? :hmm

This is my idea of a Dutch version.

I guess some might say the plain wood should be darker, but personally I like your Dutch paint job as it is. :onya

Spanish and Portuguese versions are probably best to start with next, because those are the only others in Beta 2 at the moment.
I'm not entirely sure about the colours for either one, though. Perhaps for Spain you could change the Dutch green to red, and leave the plain wood as-is?
The jury's still out on an 'official' Portuguese colour scheme, which we need to come up with sooner or later. :hmm For now, something like PO_Poseidon might do, I think.

Back