• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Nautical News Stories of 2014!

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
There have been some pretty big Nautical news stories over the past year, some I have pasited here, others I either missed or did not have time to post. These are by no means the biggest, or only stories from 2014, just the ones that caught my attention. Let me know about some of the ones I missed!

L'Hermione Sea Trials!

You have probably seen me post quite a lot of stories and videos on this one, so I won't go in to detail other than to say aside from a couple of glitches, her sea trials were very successful!

The Brig Unicorn Sinks.

The Brig Unicorn sank off the coast of Saint Vincent on May 24'th. She was on her way in to port for major repairs when she started taking on water and sank rather quickly. All 10 crew members were rescued. You can read the full story HERE, along with an update!

She was used in several movies, including a couple of Pirates of the Caribbean films, and the 70's American TV mini series Roots. Here she is in better times from a video posted on Youtube highlighting her travel cruises off the coast of St. Lucia.

Costa Concordia Re-Floated!

After a successful parbuckeling operation in September 2013, the cruise ship Costa Concordia was re-floated in July 2014, and towed from the island of Giglio off the coast of Italy, where she sank on January 13'th, 2012. She is currently sitting in a port in Genoa waiting to be scraped.

Three Dutch Tall Ships Circumnavigate the Earth!

The three Dutch Tall Ships ‘Tecla’, bark ‘Europa’ and the schooner ‘Oosterschelde’ completed sailing around the world together in the spring of 2014. The circumnavigation started in 2012 from the Netherlands with the ships making their way independently to Cape Town. In May 2013 the ships met in Cape Town, South Africa. They followed some historic trade routes and were joined by some other sailing vessels throughout parts of their journey.

They crossed the Indian Ocean to Mauritius and sailed part of the Brouwer Route to the Australian coast. In Australia they visited Fremantle, Adelaide, Melbourne, Hobart and Sydney. From Sydney they sailed with a regatta to New Zealand together with other Tall Ships. From there they set sail for Cape Horn, South America and Antarctica. You can find out more about the ships, a map of their voyage, and their future plans on their web site HERE!

Tall ship Training Vessel SSV Oliver Hazard Perry

I missed this one completely, the SSV Oliver Hazard Perry is currently in the final stages of completion in Rhode Island. All three masts are in place and her standing rigging is being attached and tuned. She is a steel hulled vessel, but cool no the less! As her name suggests, she will be used as a training vessel, to teach mainly high school and gollege students how to sail. You can find out much more about her and see some great pictures over at their web page HERE!

Attachments

• pa-logo.png
    pa-logo.png
    11 KB · Views: 20
Back