• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP N.S. Pilar de Zaragoza 1733 Spanish Treasure Galleon

KrisWood

Freebooter
Storm Modder
Storm Modeller
Built in 1733, Nuestra Señora del Pilar de Zaragoza (Our Lady of the Pillar of Zaragoza) was a Spanish treasure galleon which sailed from Manila to Acapulco and back, carrying South American silver to the Philippines, and exotic goods from Asia to Mexico, from where they were then sent on to Spain.

For more information and photos of a modern model, read here:
http://www.cuervas-mons.com/elpilarenglish.htm

Here's a breakdown of the stats:

Guns:
22 @ 18pdr on the gun deck
22 @ 10pdr on the main deck
6 @ 6pdr on the quarterdeck
2 @ 14pdr stern chasers
6 @ 3pdr swivels

Total: 50 guns + 2 chasers + 6 swivels

Length 34.2 meters

This will probably be the last ship model I ever make, and honestly it might be a long time before it's finished. I'll be working on it in 3dsmax at home and Blender on my work laptop during my daily commutes. I will need someone to help with importing it into the game eventually. Here are a couple renders of the current progress.

Attachments

• Pilar1733_011.jpg
    Pilar1733_011.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 470
  • Pilar1733_012.jpg
    Pilar1733_012.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 459
Interesting. Is this ship also called "galleon"? Looks like a typical 18th century ship of the line with a little bit high quarterdeck, which is normal for Spanish ships. I thought that last galleons gone in the second half of 17th century.
It's a pity that this is your last work. All of your models are beautiful. I've spent 3,5 hours yesterday, sailing the Lyon hoy :)
Nevertheless, good luck with this project! I hope I'll will be able to import her to the game, when she's finished.

If this truly is your last ship, I must say you've chosen a real beauty to end with. :keith
She'll fit in nicely with both CoAS and PotC I'm sure, seeing as we don't have any proper 18th century galleons, to my knowledge.
I look forward to seeing how she develops. :doff

She's what the Spanish called a "ship galleon", I believe. She was built during the tail end of a transitional period starting in the first decade of the 18th century and ending in the 1730s, which saw the old galleons phased out and replaced with frigate-built hulls. Nevertheless there are still some similarities to the old galleons, like the flat tuck stern and high quarterdeck.

She is indeed a real beauty! I can't wait to plunder this gorgeous treasure galleon! :woot

She looks great so far! She is somewhat remeniscent of an early indiaman imo, but even taller, wider, and more capacious for her length. is this the Acapulco galleon captured by Commodore Anson in the Centurion?

She looks great so far! She is somewhat remeniscent of an early indiaman imo, but even taller, wider, and more capacious for her length. is this the Acapulco galleon captured by Commodore Anson in the Centurion?

That would make sense, since early indiamen WERE galleons. The ship galleons and the indiamen had a common ancestor in the west european galleons.

The galleon captured by Centurion was N.S. Cabadonga. She was slightly smaller than NS Pilar de Zaragoza, but of the same type and era. Both were Manila galleons manufactured in the Philippines under Spanish designs. Both were built during the transition from the old galleons to the ship galleons.

Reworked the head today. :)

Attachments

• Pilar1733_013.jpg
    Pilar1733_013.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 508
She looks good! :onya one question though, is the head timber farthest aft supposed to be there? The one just after the middle rail has ended. I am only curious because it is not shown in the model http://www.cuervas-mons.com/images/GaleriaNSPilar/pages/r28_jpg.htm Of course you are the one with the plans, and I am sure you know more than I do on the subject, since I learned how to make headrails and the like from your tutorial on the POTBS forums xD:

It's in the plans but curves in more so that it fits between the headrails. It's just a placeholder until I have time to refine it more. Another things that confuses me about the headtimbers in the plans is, the plans only show them coming down to the bottom headrail and turning horizontally toward the knee of the head (French style), but the Cuervas Mons model and one drawing of the ship show them coming down to the upper cheeks (British style). I can't find any good photos of the anatomy of this ship's head construction. Any ideas?

hmm i think i understand what your talking about, I have noticed in plans that the bottom headrail appears to be missing on many french ships, or the head timbers stop before the cheek, this explains why! :shock I have not noticed it on any spanish designs, which all seem to follow the english way in this respect, but then again your plans break this trend. I would go off the model if the other way is hard to visualize, it seems very detailed and looks fine imho, is it contemporary to the ship?

Finally got the head timbers more to my liking. They not longer line up with any of the plans but look more like the models now. :)

Attachments

• Pilar1733_014.jpg
    Pilar1733_014.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 322
looks good mate! headrails can definately use tweaking like that at times. heck, I once took some from a completely different (but similar) ship's plan. :rolleyes: looking forward to the next update,seems you have finished most of the trickiest parts to shape. :onya

Added gunports, windows, poop deck, and a couple bulkheads, then threw the paint back on. :)

Attachments

• Pilar1733_016.jpg
    Pilar1733_016.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 513
  • Pilar1733_017.jpg
    Pilar1733_017.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 477
Did some work on the stern today! :)

Attachments

• Pilar1733_018.jpg
    Pilar1733_018.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 419
Finished the geometry of the flat tuck of the stern and the counter, and with that done I was able to cut at the waterline without worrying about future geometry changes messing that up, so here's something approaching the final color scheme. :)

Attachments

• Pilar1733_020.jpg
    Pilar1733_020.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 297
  • Pilar1733_021.jpg
    Pilar1733_021.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 502
Back