• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

My own PotC-NH evaluation

Hello me harties,

after a few time spent in the Caribbean I want write something about PotC-NH, what is good, what I find bad or to better, and so on.

The mod itself:

Of course I'm not seen every single aspect of the mod, but I think that is the more complete game on pirates era never seen, and the most colorful and beautiful.

It's easy to play, and at the same time not easy to master, one must take his time, and see the favoured way.

Strenght points:

- a lot of characters to choice the favoured one:
- a BIG world to explore;
- battles, into sea or land;
- big variety from the start;
- A LOT OF BOOKS TO READ! (Since Morrowind I was fascinated to have a lot of books to read and collect);
- As before, but for objects! Marvelous, nice and useful also!
- Quests, tons of quests, everywhere quests!
- Historical and not quest lines to follow! If you want stay on the shirt of Woodes Rogers or De la Croix, you can do, and if you want be free, you can do the same;
- A big variety of starting ways (professions).

As one can see, any gamer can do what he want and start as he like and prefer: from the first minutes, a world will appear and take a lot of time to be discovered: one can become hat he want, and choose his life on the seas as he want.

Mistakes....uhm...not much, and really not a problem to anyone:

- miss the incredible leaps and performances in Errol Flynn way seen in Sid Meyer Pirates! (but I suppose that was a script);
-sometimes in long sea battles my video became partially white/gray (But I don't know if is a my PC mistake, or a game mistake)
- NOT for the XXI century fat boys that want only "win the game with his ultra-pumped Mr.SuperHero": PotC-NH need a great dose of patience, and time to spend.

More or less, PotC-NH is like read a nice book about....pirates! Hahah! For the XXI century fat boys filled of money there are their nice new-superbeautiful-ultraeasy-games. Not this. Fat boys never read a real book, only messages from their cells.

Final advice:

If you lie movies and pirates books,
if you like Stevenson Treasure Isle,
if you fall in love for Captain Red or Frog,

well....play this game, and enter in the history and legend of a beautiful, dangerous world.

:cheers

It is a big world with lots of replayability. Is that a word?

The white/gray stuff is a glitch that was introduced with Beta 14. It is part of the falling masts mod. :shrug

The original game was about the right length for most people, but if you want more..............

- miss the incredible leaps and performances in Errol Flynn way seen in Sid Meyer Pirates!
Edit "PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h", go to the bottom, and change SIDESTEP_ENABLED to 1. The snag with sidestepping is that it doesn't check for collision so you can go through walls. But the good thing is that you can use it to get round your officers if you're in a tight area, e.g. just outside the gunsmith shop in Sao Jorge, and you can't move normally because your officers are in the way.

The really good thing is if you've just started a boarding action and it's one of the deck models which show two ships next to each other. Not the one you get when you board a frigate, because that one starts with you facing an enemy right away. But if you have a reasonably large ship such as a fast galleon, you sometimes get one of the deck models with you starting on a large ship, a smaller ship is alongside, and all the enemies are on the small ship deck. And that's when you sidestep like crazy to get onto the stern area of the enemy deck. Pretend you've grabbed a rope and are swinging across. Errol Flynn, eat your heart out! :rpirate

Back