• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Musician interested in Composing

taking%20of%20the%20java.jpg
'merica! Hell yeah!

:cheeky

You misconstrued my statement. It won't be a pirate game, it will be an Age of Sail game, which includes every aspect of that age in realistic proportions. Navies, merchants, privateers, pirates, smugglers, etc.

Sailing square riggers is fun. I do it a lot, and it never gets less fun. A sailing simulation (can be toggled) would add a lot to the gameplay. There isn't much of a difference between pirates and the navy in the area of playing styles. (Except for the fact that everyone is trying to kill you if you're a pirate, including most other pirates.)

I'm not going to try to sugar-coat this, but it is not my intention to offend anybody.
I think that we can avoid cliches and make a truly good game. If you want cliches and arcade gameplay, I feel that there are plenty of other games for that. We have a chance to make something truly unique here, and I think that we should take that chance.

I absolutely agree as to the division between a "realistic simulation" (a phrase I endeavour to avoid as it brings to mind dull flight and train simulations) and an "arcade" sort of game. This area of history has gone largely unexplored, and when it is touched upon it tends to be pirates of the Caribbean arcade-y style (Not at all to toss stones at such games, chief example of this can be seen in Sid Miers Pirates! which I hold dear as one of my favorite games of all time) gameplay. I think that there exists a void for a game that is realistic, almost educational in it's precision while still remaining fun. I love games where i'm able to glean information as well as amuse myself.

However; despite the work of masters such as C.S Forrester, Patrick O'Brian and my personal favorite Dewey Lambdin the reality is that age-of-sail conquest when examined as a whole could be considered quite boring. Engagements could take days, crossings months and tropical disease existed as a far greater hazard to Jolly Jack Tars than the prospect of battle (consider the statistic that during the Napoleonic War, something around 10% of total deaths were caused by actual battle. The rest of the fallen were taken by Yellow Jack, Malaria, Dengue Fever and sepsis)

Considering all of this some liberties are going to need to be taken with History. Be they slight alterations of the truth (with great bloody fleet engagements every other day) or blatant untruths (buried treasure and swinging from ship to ship upon pieces of damaged standing rigging) such fantasies I see necessary. The skill lies in balancing these extremely exciting bits of fiction and weaving them into history as to make the player see them as one while not compromising the realistic nature of the game..

Anyways, wee bit off topic but it's exciting to see a group of individuals of the same mind as I.

-B

(buried treasure and swinging from ship to ship upon pieces of damaged standing rigging) such fantasies I see necessary.

We need not go that far. We just need to use time compression, automation and the like in order to get around the more boring parts. Besides, There isn't really any standing rigging you could swing off of for more than a few feet plus the roll of the vessel. You'd need severed running rigging like a parted sheet of a brailed up tops'l that has departed in such a manner to... oh, never mind.

We need not go that far. We just need to use time compression, automation and the like in order to get around the more boring parts. Besides, There isn't really any standing rigging you could swing off of for more than a few feet plus the roll of the vessel. You'd need severed running rigging like a parted sheet of a brailed up tops'l that has departed in such a manner to... oh, never mind.

Shoot. I suppose it would be better to say swinging on a part of the running rigging that has snapped and then jammed in a block? Tenuous as that may be. Perhaps a halliard for the small and/or brave? :p

I've always found the "swinging across on a rope to another ship" a terribly poor idea myself, even in fiction.

It's definitely a stupid idea. I've swung of of rope swings suspended from Pilgrim's fore yardarm, and there's no way I could have controlled myself enough to land safely on another vessel. It would have ended with the same "splash" that it did without anything in the way. It was fun, though. One guy even ignored the rope swing and jumped off the yard its self.

I would give unthinkable body parts for a chance to sail on Pilgrim. Especially into Nookta sound, the location of the Spanish Disturbance.

All you have to do is fly down here every Saturday and volunteer. Then all you would lose is a fortune in plane tickets. We wouldn't even have to amputate anything!

I doubt we'll ever make it that far north, unfortunately.

What kind of trips do you guys do? Just out near the coast of CA?

You should! It's gorgeous here. My million-dollar-dream is buying a ketch and sailing between the gulf islands until the sun burns out. I grew up on Vancouver Island and around sailing ships and the ocean. Shame there's no tall ships based out here...

Mainly all the Channel Islands and San Diego. We couldn't take the time to go that far away because we're a volunteer-only crew and the Ocean Institute has to pay for all the food and fuel. Pilgrim also has to be at the dock so they can run their educational programs. The hull was built in Denmark in 1945, so we aren't qualified to carry paying passengers.

Back