• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Abandoned Multiplayer mod?

Would you like multiplayer in the current POTC

• Yeah - no biggie but ill play it when im not playinig bf pirates

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Yes - Ill play it all the time

Votes: 33 68.8%
  • Nah - ill dl it play it to have a look but not much else

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • No - community to small wouldnt get a game

Votes: 4 8.3%

• Total voters
I suppose your idea could be worked into Sulan's random economic events; then there'd be random events caused by the other "players" too.
Then you'd have to add the ability to randomly encounter those other players at sea too, preferably in a location that makes sense to the random event messages.
Then when you have taken care of such a "player", there should be no more such random events for that character. It's not impossible. :shrug

That's what I dreamed for POTC since I played Sid Meier's Pirates!

Good luck to you! :keith

It would be awesome to see a multiplayer for this, but a few questions.

1. Will this cause any legal issues as Disney could see us as trying to rival their POTC online?

and

2. Will there be an option to turn multiplayer on/off (since one may not want to play on multiplayer mode all the time...)?

Hi

The only major problem would be making it work........this has been requested before but there's no provision for net interaction in the storm 2 engine.

Maybe when or if PoTC is ported over to the Storm 2.8 engine it may be possible, till then it's a no-go I think.....wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong though..

I agree with Damski; I can't see it working ever while still using the Storm 2.0 engine. Only with a modified Storm 2.8 engine do we have any chance at all.
That's not going to happy aaaaaany time soon, so worrying about any legal implications is a bit premature, I'm afraid,

yeah, but also, where would we get the server to support a multiplayer?

We can worry about that if we magically figure out a way to do it at all. :rofl

Personally, I would prefer a lan or internet CO-OP and VS mode instead of fully blown MMO. Easier to handle and much more fun. MMO's have really big issues with balance of the gameplay. They tend to become old very quickly. Also with co-op Disney wouldn't really have anything against us to start with.

eh, I agree with his idea more, but we'd still need a server to manage how the people are connecting and whatnot.

well i know nothing of coding or programming but i guess i could learn since i got nothing else to do besides playing POTC.

got a mate who may help as well

but we would still need to form a crew for this and also most importantly the source code, and how to make it work with the newest storm engine.

i would proparbly primarily add new music and such to the game and help with the project being the manager (been that for other mods not related to POTC)

all i can say is that this project would as said before take a considerable amount of time, the best thing would be to actually make it from scratch but with the familiar gameplay of POTC and maybe use the kinds of graphics seen on ships in Empire Total War?

bottomline is that it would be really hard to try make it multiplayer and coop rather than start all over with new codes and engine based on storm, but both would take time to realize nonetheless.

but i am thinking positively about it, never say never or that it is impossible or can not be done, such attitudes realize the meaning of the words.

I think you might be interested in this thread; it's a lot to read, but in short, it contains a lot of discussion about moving to a totally new engine to make a standalone game.
While nothing has been officially decided yet, we're leaning towards using Unreal Engine 3, which would not only support multiplayer but also use modern graphics. ;)
It would of course be a very long term project, but it's something we're willing to do.

In light of our intentions, I would advise against starting any kind of multiplayer project for the Build Mod, instead waiting until we move on to the new engine.
What we want to do for the time being is finish Build 14, mostly cleaning up what we've got, without adding too many more features.
We will gladly accept any help with both finishing Build 14 and working on the new game project, though. :doff

Nobody has the source code for PotC, so I don't think multiplayer for this game is quite achievable. For CoAS? Maybe. For a fully new game? Sure. Anything is possible then! If we can find the resources.

Back