• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Mouse Acceleration

Fallina

Landlubber
So one of the most annoying controls in gaming to me is Mouse Acceleration, and this game has it bad. I played a tiny bit of PotC unmodded, and it feels like the Acceleration is baked into the base game, but seeing as how so many of the other controls were changed by New Horizons, I wasn't sure if the option to turn off Acceleration got added or if it could be added. I've done some poking around .ini files and couldn't seem to find it, so if the option exists, could someone kindly point me in the right direction?

So one of the most annoying controls in gaming to me is Mouse Acceleration, and this game has it bad. I played a tiny bit of PotC unmodded, and it feels like the Acceleration is baked into the base game, but seeing as how so many of the other controls were changed by New Horizons, I wasn't sure if the option to turn off Acceleration got added or if it could be added. I've done some poking around .ini files and couldn't seem to find it, so if the option exists, could someone kindly point me in the right direction?
Hmnn..mouse sensitivity? x3 x5 x10 speedmult? For the former, it's in the Options in the main menu which you should already know. For the latter, did you check the controls? It's "R" and "G". :confused:

mouse sensitivity? x3 x5 x10 speedmult?
That's time acceleration you're talking about.

As for the mouse, there is no option for it.
I always figured the game takes whatever the main Windows settings are for that.

Exception is if Windows 10 excessive frame rates cause really slow response; mostly in interior locations.
But that's a separate issue that's not technically related to the mouse.

Can you describe a bit what you're experiencing?
And what you want to change about it?

For anyone unfamiliar, Mouse Acceleration alters the distance the mouse pointer travels dependent upon how quickly you actually moved the mouse.
Basically:
--Move the mouse slowly over 5 cm, it will travel a small distance across the screen.
--Move the mouse quickly over 5 cm, it will travel a large distance across the screen.
This makes the mouse movement erratic if you're not used to it. Try aiming for a certain spot on the screen and you'll over shoot if you move too fast, or you'll undershoot and have to crawl the pointer where you need it to go if you move too slow.

This website has a breakdown. It talks specifically about mouse acceleration from a hardware perspective, but games can do this as well:
What is mouse acceleration? | ProSettings.net

And this site has a visual representation at the bottom that makes it easy to see:
Mouse Acceleration

That's time acceleration you're talking about.

As for the mouse, there is no option for it.
I always figured the game takes whatever the main Windows settings are for that.

Exception is if Windows 10 excessive frame rates cause really slow response; mostly in interior locations.
But that's a separate issue that's not technically related to the mouse.

Can you describe a bit what you're experiencing?
And what you want to change about it?

The above pretty much explains what it is I'm experiencing. I have "Enhanced Pointer Precision" turned off in my computer settings, so it's not that.
A lot of older games use a "software mouse" and had acceleration turned on by default. Some had a setting in the options menu, those that didn't usually had setting in the .ini that could be toggled off manually. I didn't see such an option, so I didn't know if it existed. An alternative would be if a "hardware mouse" setting existed that would bypass all in-game mouse settings entirely.
I'm pretty sensitive to changes in my mouse speed, and notice when it's not operating at "normal" speed. And I might be wrong. It could just be imagining it and it's just me. But it feels like the game has Mouse Acceleration. It's not exactly a game breaker, but it feels awkward to me.

So, playing around with it some more, I noticed that it doesn't seem to be an issue with vertical movement. The mouse pointer just seemed to hang up in the horizontal axis. The acceleration sensitivity just felt off. I generally turn down mouse sensitivity just a hair in my games, so I played around with it a little and it turns out, bumping horizontal mouse sensitivity up just a few notches helped. It feels smoother, almost like the acceleration is gone completely. I dunno, but it's less annoying, now. So I'ma close this thread, if I can. If not, maybe a mod can do it.

So I'ma close this thread, if I can. If not, maybe a mod can do it.
I could Lock the thread. But what for?
We only really do that for discussions that spiral out of control and need to be stopped.
But I see no such problem here. :doff

Just in case, you might want to have a look at this:
Solved - Windows 10: Low Frame Rates Despite (BECAUSE OF!) Good Hardware
I know the rotation rate of the main character can be a bit off, depending on hardware and Windows version.
Enabling a framerate limiter might make the game feel much better again.

Back