• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Missing Emoticons of the Pirate Kind

tommy61157

Unofficial Pirate Potato
Staff member
QA Tester
Provisional
Storm Modder
Okay, I thought the changes were cool before, but now it's pissing me off. I don't know how to keep track of anything that I was tracking before anymore and now it's probably all buried deep down somewhere in the forum (mainly the capture colonies thread), so I don't know anything that's going on, and if possible, I think we should go back to the old forum style as this one is nothing more than inconvenient and since we've lost nearly all of our similes, this forum reform was a terrible idea at best.

XenForo offers a lot more than what the old board did, not to mention it is much faster. It will take a while to get everything working the way we want, but it looks pretty good in my opinion. We have gone through many changes around here over the years, and I am sure there are many more to come.

There is an option in your preferences to track your own threads, there is also a "watch thread" option on the top right.

Thagarr's right, this new format is much faster and offers many more features than the old IP Board forum.
Admittedly I was sceptical at first, but I have found it much more convenient overall. :)

Keeping track of your watched threads is not as difficult as you might think. In your profile settings, go to 'Alert preferences' and make sure you enable alerts for watched content.
All threads that you were tracking on the old forum are still being tracked, so you haven't lost any of them. Go to your 'Watched threads' page and you can see the entire list.
You can even choose to have e-mail notification of replies to watched content, just as before, also in 'Alert preferences'.

As for the smilies, we had already lost most of them with the previous IPB upgrade, so nothing could be done about that in any case.
At least we have a selection of them imported and available to use again (and believe me, they're much better than the XenForo default ones). :pirates

Smiles are not a great issue, most we're taken from external sites (I didn't do that personally) and the ones we made have been taken and put onto other sites. I'm sure I could get most back, I just have not had the time to do so.

With the forum change, it had to be done to get the news postings back to the forum, I'm a big believer that you need to bring in new people to see what there is to offer, most won't come here because they don't know what they are looking for. The news page gets people in who have a "theme" they want to explore, alot of people don't put into google "New Horizons a POTC mod" they go "pirate games".

I may be way off, but I also think the new look is cool :onya I know not everyone will be over the moon initially about it but in time it will grow on them.

Some of these I had on my hard drive, some of them I tracked down earlier today. Some are new to us, but I was able to track down quite a few of the old ones.

And of course, Fred Bob's favorite

Ahh good work Thag! I'll start adding them tonight. I missed the big pirate ship one .

There are a couple more I have been trying to track down, but Google refuses to show me anything but social networking icons. :rolleyes:
I agree, I missed that one too, we need more ship emoticons!

**EDIT** Found a few more :
[url=http://postimage.org/] [/URL]

Wow, great find, Thagarr! Nice to see some familiar ones back again. :dance
All we need now is the banging-head-against-screen smiley; we can't live on the facepalm alone for modding mishaps!

Good work with the smileys, Thagarr! :onya
Although I don't use them very often but it's nice to have.

But a thing I was thinking of, doesn't the web host have backups of the site, to roll back to in case something goes wrong? If so, shouldn't it be possible to recover all the smileys and everything else?

About the forum, it's a good thing that performance has been improved. It wasn't very slow for me, but a good thing that it has been improved nonetheless. What's happening now with its design, though? Regarding colors and everything, is it done or will more be added later? I was thinking, for example, that the previous design had icons in front of each section, had icons indicating how many posts a user had and if a user was online or offline, and the headline of each category (such as "Bidness & Badness" here) had a darker background so they could more easily be distinguished from the sections. Will things such as these be added or is the design pretty much done?

Thanks Mates!

we can't live on the facepalm alone for modding mishaps!

Yeah, I have been looking for that one, and a couple of others that were almost as essential. I know they are out there ...somewhere!

Baste, yeah I miss those too, those really added to the completeness of the feel of the old board. From what I ahve seen, I am pretty sure XenForo supports most of those features also, I am sure Keith has that on his To Do list. I think it is more a matter of time than anything else.

I think so too. Just would be nice to know what the current status of things are.

Also, about the smileys, perhaps the Xenforo one in the editor should be changed to the IP Board one, if possible. I mean the one in the upper part of the editor and this one: :)

what abou' that then: american foobolle?
l.gif

...one step forwertz and three in the back, mwuhaha, phrow me away loik.

Tommy is rrright besides the tracks, listen to him for a change of cloth.
Me tries now conjuring up an ostrich-in-a-mattress for a trick.

Keith baby? to make and shape this here site into top-form we'd need a wiki-button: first stories giving us tales from sailing ship and stuff are about 25oo years old. Now yet a google quick link and common, light seamen turn a bunch of rowdy race rowers. Hmm, okay, le' us comment on'em.

Personally would i like a fantasy island with a knight-in-gale, makes the chipper clobber streaming in the cuppa proper emoceans.
..some goosefeet, enables one to comprehend exotic "words", =^Q^= ciao

AHA!
woot.gif

(Just for clarity's sake, that is the :woot emoticon that I've been missing. Armada, how do you add that onto the new forum?)

Hooray, we finally have a 'woot' smilie that isn't hyperactive! xD

In the Admin CP, go to Home -> BB Code and Smilies -> (yep, you guessed it) Smilies.
Then click 'Add new smilie', and give it a title, replacement text and image URL. Ignore the stuff about 'sprite mode'.
You can then 'woot' to your heart's content: :woot

Back