• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Missing Bartolomeu

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
Seen while on Henry Morgan's ship during the "Aztec Treasure" quest:
missing_bart.jpg

I didn't get a chance to save game or copy log files as a lot of things happen in sequence around this time.

The character "Bartolomeu" is actually Peter Blood from the sidequest in the other storylines.
I didn't expect that character should be used in the actual Bartolomeu o Portugues storyline! :shock

Does this block the story?

No. I was just surprised to see "Missing Character ID: Bartolomeu" when Bartolomeu is standing right there. xD There was also another error message about some quest title not being found, though I didn't manage to get a screen shot and, again, a lot of things happened before I got a chance to save game and look at log files. That didn't stop the story from continuing either and I've now completed the "Aztec Treasure" section entirely.

No. I was just surprised to see "Missing Character ID: Bartolomeu" when Bartolomeu is standing right there. xD There was also another error message about some quest title not being found, though I didn't manage to get a screen shot and, again, a lot of things happened before I got a chance to save game and look at log files. That didn't stop the story from continuing either and I've now completed the "Aztec Treasure" section entirely.
If you still get the chance, that missing quest message would have been in compile.log as well so it would be nice to know which one it was.

It turns out that there's another case of missing Bartolomeu, at case "villalobos_on_deckbis", which is during the "Aztec Treasure" chapter, specifically when you've kidnapped Captain Villalobos and brought him to Henry Morgan's ship for questioning. And it has a far more serious, more insidious effect than an error message on screen. The failed attempt to spawn a character there leaves something behind, and the sea AI tries to check it when it's looking for groups to fight against each other. The result is a lot of messages in "error.log" and the game pauses every so often while you're sailing near an island.

Attached is "quests_reaction.c" with the offending line commented out, and "error.log" in case anyone want to see it.

Attachments

• quests_reaction.c
    542.9 KB · Views: 166
  • error.log
    3.5 KB · Views: 169
It turns out that there's another case of missing Bartolomeu, at case "villalobos_on_deckbis", which is during the "Aztec Treasure" chapter, specifically when you've kidnapped Captain Villalobos and brought him to Henry Morgan's ship for questioning. And it has a far more serious, more insidious effect than an error message on screen. The failed attempt to spawn a character there leaves something behind, and the sea AI tries to check it when it's looking for groups to fight against each other. The result is a lot of messages in "error.log" and the game pauses every so often while you're sailing near an island.

Attached is "quests_reaction.c" with the offending line commented out, and "error.log" in case anyone want to see it.
I have NO idea :(
But I need to understand why I put this line:
Code:
            ChangeCharacterAddressGroup(CharacterFromID("Bartolomeu"), "Morgan_ShipDeck", "rld", "loc10");
In the case "villalobos_on_deckbis".

In the case "back_for_planbis3":
I also have this:
Code:
            ChangeCharacterAddressGroup(CharacterFromID("Bartolomeu"), "Quest_Cabin2", "rld", "aloc1");

Comment these two lines in these two cases and tell me if the quest works.

In the case "back_for_planbis3":
I also have this:
Code:
            ChangeCharacterAddressGroup(CharacterFromID("Bartolomeu"), "Quest_Cabin2", "rld", "aloc1");

Comment these two lines in these two cases and tell me if the quest works.
The line in "back_for_planbis3" is the one which caused the problem at the start of this thread. ;) I commented it out some time ago but never spotted the second one in "villalobos_on_deckbis" until after I'd uploaded the most recent update.

The quest works anyway, but trying to put a non-existent character in place caused weirdness. I commented out this line as well, loaded up a savegame from Port Royale just before sailing to Cuba with Morgan, replayed the end part of the quest, then confirmed that I could sail near an island without getting a similar "error.log". So yes, commenting out both lines fixes the problem.
I think my mistake is instead of writing Elting I wrote Bartolomeu :modding
Yes, you probably copied that code from the "Assassin" storyline and forgot to change those lines. I'll have to try uncommenting them, change "Bartolomeu" to "Elting", and see if it works...

This version of "quests_reaction.c" has "Bartolomeu" replaced by "Elting" in case "villalobos_on_deckbis". (It also has the line for "Bartolomeu" commented out and a duplicate line with "Elting" added at case "back_for_planbis3", but that's been in the version in the update archive for ages.)

I tested it with the same savegame at Port Royale - went to Cuba, kidnapped Captain Villalobos, teleported to "Morgan_ShipDeck" (where Elting is now present in the scene), continued the rest of the raid, returned to Port Royale to complete the quest, then set sail from Port Royale again. As expected, there were no more reports of "Missing character", sailing did not pause, and there was no huge "error.log".

Attachments

• quests_reaction.c
    543.2 KB · Views: 158
Back