• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Michiel de Ruyter

Apparently this film does have an international title ("The Admiral"), so I wonder if there are any international release plans to go with that.

The soundtrack apparently IS available to those who want it.
Not sure if I should bother signing up for iTunes to be able to purchase it though.
In the film, it sounded really very stereotypical and not at all as grand as I would have wished.

That's a bit disappointing about the sound track. There is such good music from that time period that could have went well with the film. At least it sounds like they spent money were they needed to though.

I have been looking for an international release date or a DVD or Blu-Ray release date but nothing so far. The Korean film Roaring Currents was also released internationally under the same title, which is unfortunate. I am looking for a Blu-ray of that one too!

That's a bit disappointing about the sound track. There is such good music from that time period that could have went well with the film. At least it sounds like they spent money were they needed to though.
The composer is apparently one of Hans Zimmer's protégés and actually worked on the first and second PotC films too.
"Hans Zimmer studios" is pretty much the "standard epic film sound" and is quite popular for it.
And without using much actual orchestra, they're probably comparatively cheap.
So popular AND cheap AND worked on two pirate films before? I can understand why they might want him.
I think he worked with the director on a previous film too.

All that being said, yes I understand it and no it wasn't particularly bad.
But it also wasn't inspired and is a tremendous far cry from my dear Cutthroat Island....

The Korean film Roaring Currents was also released internationally under the same title, which is unfortunate. I am looking for a Blu-ray of that one too!
Wait, what's unfortunate there? That the film was released? Or that you can't find a copy of it? Or did you mean the opposite? I'm confused now....

I mean the same title for both can be confusing when referring to two separate films, unless you know they are two separate films. 'The Admiral' on IMDB takes you to the Korean film. :shrug

I mean the same title for both can be confusing when referring to two separate films, unless you know they are two separate films. 'The Admiral' on IMDB takes you to the Korean film. :shrug
Ah, yes. That doesn't help.
What is it with foreign (well, for you! :whipa ) Age of Sail films being called "The Admiral" internationally? :rofl

Ah, yes. That doesn't help.
What is it with foreign (well, for you! :whipa ) Age of Sail films being called "The Admiral" internationally? :rofl

Lazy translators? Incompetent marketing departments? People thinking Americans aren't capable of reading foreign titles? :unsure

Well, that last one is actually pretty accurate, it's surprising how many Americans can't even read English! :wp

Or "The Admiral" just sounds cool?

I figure that they should specify WHICH admiral though.
But then... "The Dutch Admiral" might not really get US audiences running for the theatre.

At least for Michiel de Ruyter, when it is released, at least there will be people in the target country who might send it across the ocean.
I don't see that happening for "Roaring Currents" though. And hey! Why didn't they just call it THAT? It's an English title too.

Personally, I couldn't care less what either film is called, but I think they should just retain their original titles. We have quite a numerous Dutch population in the US, but a lot of them shun modern technology and don't go to movies at all. We also have a fairly sizeable Korean population as well, and I think Roaring Currents would do just as well here under it's Korean title, "Myeong-ryang." Which is where the battle took place.

If "Michiel de Ruyter" gets released in the US theatrically, I will go see it simply because of the ship battles! I would go see it just for the history too though, but that's because I am a history geek. Both of these films would get me running to the theatre to see them, but I am not a typical American.

Just a short heads up to let you guys know this film is now available for purchase.
I received the bluray today. It has English subtitles.
In fact, all characters in the movie speak their native tongue and there are a fair few English characters in there.
So there is a bit of English spoken too. And some French if I recall.

That is great news indeed mate, at least for you Europeans, it is not available yet in the US. Still nothing on either a theatrical release date or a Blu-ray release here. I am just going to have to track me down an all region Blu-ray player and order me a copy from the Netherlands!

On a side note, I did run across a couple of new Netherlands film projects that sound interesting. The first is a movie about William of Orange, produced by the same group that did Michiel de Ruyter, so that sounds like it might be pretty good as well! It is due for a release in 2016. Apparently, there will be a web site for the film, but it is not up yet, you can read what little is written about it HERE!

The second is a film about the wreck of the Batavia called appropriately enough "Batavia's Deathsong." No info on a release date, but you can read a bit more about that one HERE!

There was an internationaal trailer on the disc, so at least someone must have the idea of showing the Movie outside Europe.
Strange that they still haven't done so.

www.admiralthemovie.com seems to contain onlya YouTube version of that trailer.
Bit useless really...

Still no US release date that I can find, however, I did run across THIS DVD on Amazon.co.uk! Apparently just release today, August 3'rd, the title outside the NL is "Admiral: Command and Conquer." I also ran across a couple of price gougers on Ebay with them for sale, debating whether I am gonna order one or wait! :wp

I wonder if bol.com would ship outside the Netherlands. The edition sold here does have English subtitles.

"Command and Conquer" as secondary title? That's rather funny, consisting the game series by that name has absolutely nothing to do with ships. :rofl

Yeah, the "Command and Conquer" moniker is quite amusing. I really do not understand the process of renaming movies, most of the time it is simple marketing and has absolutely nothing to do with the movie it's self.

I think I could order through bol.com, but the site is only setup for languages in Belgium or the Netherlands, there is no English option. Google Translate wont work very well for ordering anything. If the poachers on Ebay had Blu-ray copies, I would have already ordered it. I am still hoping for a theatrical release here in the US. I'll wait a couple of months and see what happens.

If you do want to use bol.com, I could tell you which buttons to press.
I use that site often enough.

Thanks mate, I appreciate the offer, but I think I will wait. I would really rather see it in a theatre if possible.

Well this is making a theatrical release in the US quite unlikely. Admiral: Command and Conquer is available in the Microsoft Store, and also on Apple's iTunes. It may only be available in Europe though, as Microsoft has it listed in Pounds, iTunes is listed in Euros. Guess I will just have to be satisfied with my HD TV.

According to my cousin, the sound in his cinema wasn't so good on this movie anyway.
Perhaps you're indeed better served on your own system.

Back