• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Melee Madness

Bathtub-pirate

Sailor
Storm Modder
Hey guys,

have you nerfed the progression of how fast Melee is improving compared to older versions? Because it sure feels like it. Not really a fan of that. Because leveling up in general seems as swift as it always was. Which means that your opposition is scaling with your level, leaving you behind in melee unless you choose to use the sword master background by default.

Here is the problem with that. Unless you play a merchant (or possibly a smuggler), who is avoiding boarding fights like the plague, being essentially WAY behind the enemies' Melee prowess by default is a royal pain in the ass. The melee in this game is just a complete and utter train wreck, as everyone knows. Having to grind like a madman to max it out is …. problematic. Because even if you try your best to stay clear of melee situations, the second you board a ship, which has surrendered, but it's captain is feeling brave today and you have to duel him ….. that is when you HAVE to put up with it. Possibly in tight spaces and being well behind. Oh the frustration!

To me it feels as if grinding melee from level 1 to 4 is taking now as long, as it used to max it all out. If not even way longer. It's insane! Now at level four I am sometimes mowing my way through like 15 bush bandits only to gain like 2 or 3 % progression in melee. At this rate, I'll have to run around and annihilate the population of entire island's by way of slicing and dicing 'em to make it to level 10.

Is there a way to tweak this? Because unfortunately, since even the most shirtless of bush bandits scale with you and will wield the finest of blades, one just has to put up with the melee. It is just no fun and potentially a source for rage inducing frustration.

In Leveling.c in PROGRAM\Characters, you can change either the overall XP gain multiplier at the top, or change for each skill in the "float GetXPmult(string Skillname)" function near the bottom!

If I recall, having officers with you on shore helps you all gain melee much faster because that XP is shared.

Thanks for the heads-up. Both seem like feasible solutions. Maybe I should combine the two. So that I reach 10 melee upon striking a bandits little finger with a shovel.^^

Back