• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Mediator Sloop by Philipjn

Armada

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Project Manager
3D Artist
Storm Modder
This beautiful little sloop has been built by @philipjn and @SeaNorris. to the high level of detail we're aiming for with Hearts of Oak, but they don't want the Storm games to be left behind, so I'm going to try to convert it to GM format.

"Try" is the key word here, because this will be the first ultra-high-detail ship to be converted to the Storm engine. The model Phil sent me had over 250,000 triangles at first, around twice that of the highest-detail ship currently in PotC.

Replacing the high-poly guns with low-poly versions has reduced the tri-count to around 170,000, so I'll still need to remove some details to bring it down to a more acceptable level. For a ship this size, 100,000 tris should probably be the absolute maximum for PotC/AoP2.

I've assigned existing textures and the aforementioned guns, and the ship currently looks like this:

y3mFO5BaSAzzkUQEe9YEhoYM-8Lu-GthFi5VV7QNxG_T6m6yqxvRf88L1UpnQqAce6BeMfW4KtiyiHuMJUCUVICXfElE5wwJqIm-JXsDUFniOYNx4f_jysXoe73wg-evR7djN1hnjxQf8DU9Ru7Tt7mMgh1I0DxYUTSrMlxrD4L24E

y3mjfwuHajdSJetV7NAWXkJiPPEPSIxdNcufJdEv6OpFWjgHWz3zp_Gbos26do3tVKmm_drNP74aKaK2ldX1TNssbznwRrnb-CGDgMF9Y4wLdxXG8C3v2huedkm4VoPoasXW03AVAOHfCdB9RMAaYVIj8vIRwkW0M430T_00Ej6adM

There's a slight mismatch with the UVs for the wooden components that use the "AOP Wood" texture, so I'll need to adjust the UVs or create a modified texture for this.

Once she's exported, I reckon this sloop should be a near-perfect replacement for most instances of the stock sloop in PotC. I've squeezed in some bow chasers to make a total of 14 guns; two fewer than the stock sloop's 16 that includes two stern chasers.

Oh, and did I mention the model has two built-in compasses? I'd rather not try to make them point along the wind direction like the LuggerVML compass, but the option is there... :razz

Last edited:
Gorgeous!

What I said in the other thread holds true equally here.
Thanks again to the both of you!

That looks very nice. Hope you guys can make it work :).

Back