• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Master at arms and Boatswain

Tingyun

Corsair
Storm Modder
Master at arms has a significantly lower HP bonus than Boatwain. For example, my officer Donald Legate went from 204HP went to 238HP by changing from master at arms to boatswain. In other words, currently master at arms actually aren't very good fighters, comparatively, and seem to lack much usefulness.

Master at arms only has one skill boatswain lacks as contributing: landing party. Boatwain has many skills master at arms lacks. Salary doesn't change switching between officer roles. You seem to also be able to have as many simultaneous boatswains as you like.

Unless I am misunderstanding something?

PROPOSAL: Master at Arms should get the same HP bonus as boatswain, as it is very specifically a fighting role. Then players can distribute between the two roles at their preference.

File attached.

I gave master at arms the same HP bonus per level (3) as boatswain. Oddly, I had to specifically include a line to set their base HP bonus to 0, otherwise it kept somehow defaulting to 20, even after starting a new game. Weird.

Also was interesting to learn the master at arms previously had more HP than boatswain for level 6 and below, since they had a base hp bonus and boatswain had a per level--so clearly not any kind of viable period of time worthy of preserving, basically would only exist for the rare level 1 starts. They also were strictly less HP than the quatermaster, who has a base hp bonus 10 higher.

With this version, master at arms and boatswain have the same HP bonus at all levels (the old boatswain HP bonus of 3 per level).

BTW, I see that there are officer price modifiers implemented in that file, but they don't affect salary in game as far as I can tell. Tested changing roles, back and forth, no salary changes.

Any objection to implementing this change in the build?

Attachments

• init_officertypes.c
    33.4 KB · Views: 109
The pricemod is implemented.
I think while working on this I was confused with the arbordage type and forgot it was a officer too.
So I sugest we change it a bit more.
I think it could also get a little basehp bonus.
and maybe remove the enemy type from it...

Also I noticed two captain types have the abordage as crewtype, now its buffed a bit you might not want to encounter them during boarding so I sugest to change those crewtypes to randchar instead.

Levis,

Lots of things I didn't think about--an important less to me about the importance of caution in making any changes. :)

One question, did real ships of the era have one boatswain or more than one?

Levis, I didn't notice the pricemod changing salary when I switched officers back and forth, from master at arms to other roles, but maybe I missed it? If it does indeed work, maybe the simplest solution to avoid having to make other changes is to make the master at arms much cheaper than the other officers, 0.5 or so, but keep its HP at the lower level from before. Then it would be a viable choice, but you wouldn't need to remove it from ai captains and such.

One question, did real ships of the era have one boatswain or more than one?
The modern ships that I worked on had one Boatswain and an Assistant Boatswain. They were together in charge of the Sailors.
(Also the Quartermasters, but that name has a very, very different meaning now than it used to have historically.)

@Levis

I looked into the pricemod issue, and it is working but not on prior levels gained under a different role: Unconfirmed Bug - Pricemod for officers only works on new levels, does not affect total salary from previous levels | PiratesAhoy!

If it were changed to recalculate with the modifier for an officer's new role, then I think we should abandon the master at arms HP changes, and instead just make the master at arms much cheaper in price compared to other roles, say a price modifier of 0.7 or 0.6 or so. Then, the master at arms becomes a way of keeping officers around in a reduced role that you don't want to get rid of, and a more economical alternative to having all your boarders be boatswains (as master at arms becomes a cheap and still pretty good boarder officer).

Then none of the AI captains or enemy types would need to be changed. :)

Back