• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Lots of games to choose from..

Voidus

Landlubber
Hi,

Ive been having an urge to play a good ship game in the style of Sea dogs ever since I played it a long, long time ago, but after a quick look at sequels and similar games I found many, they are all similar to each other and have ups and downs, Pirates of the Caribbean, AoP, AoP2, SD: To each his own etc, so which one should I go with? also taking mods into account. I don't want something silly or arcady but something more serious and immersive, as close to the original if possible.

My personal go-to is still PotC with the New Horizons mod. You can get AoP2 and use the mods for it as well, and there are some good ones out there. The hardest part is chasing down a copy of the media for them. :modding

Thanks but isn't that game about the Disney movie? its not exactly my idea of realism. btw after looking ato both and AoP and AoP2 I noticed the earlier one might actually look better, or am I just seeing things?

Not once you put New Horizons on top. It turns it into whatever you want through the menus and character selection. You can turn on/off a ton of features to make it whatever game you want.

Hi @Voidus, welcome! :ahoy

Thanks but isn't that game about the Disney movie? its not exactly my idea of realism.
Actually, the only reference to the films in the original game was the Black Pearl; the story followed characters who had nothing to do with Disney's franchise.
With New Horizons, you can still play the original storyline (Tales of a Sea Hawk) and many new ones in different time periods. You can also ignore the story quests and just play however you want. See here for more about the mod: Pirates of the Caribbean: New Horizons mod

Hi Armada,

Actually, the story part is important for me, nice mechanics and graphics come 2nd to a good story and fun quests. I guess I will take both your words and give it a try. :)
That is why a lot of us are still playing a 13+ yr old game. The story and freedom to play your own style makes it a fantastically replayable game regardless of the graphics. The graphics aren't even 'bad', they just aren't ACIV level.

Don't be fooled by the name Pirates of the Caribbean. As @Armada said, the original game had virtually nothing to do with the film.
With the mod, there is far more PotC film content, but most of that is limited to the mod-added Jack Sparrow storyline.
There are many other storylines to choose from and most of them are not fantastical.

The way we've tried to set it up is so that players who like realism get exactly that.
And players who do like fantasy stuff can get that too. That way, everybody wins. ;)

On the other hand, POTC is downright impossible to get digitally short of illegal means. Ebay and Amazon aren't exactly reassuring either, with pretty steep prices for said 13 year old game. 55 USD last I checked.

Sea Dogs to Each his own, is NOT ENJOYABLE at all. Its heavily invested in russian masochism, in that the tutorial alone, is something like 10-12 hours, that you can FAIL if you don't do the missions in the correct order, causing you to rapidly go bankrupt once you hit the ocean. Mind you this is with no actual knowledge before hand. After this, you are thrown into the world with more terrible missions. It never really got enjoyable for me after my 20 or so painful hours with it.

On the other hand its 10 USD on steam. Not including the DLC. Also they changed the key fighting mechanics, and it feels .. uh.. wonky.

Your other easily gotten option is Age of Pirates 2 City of Abandoned Ships. This option is on Gamersgate, for 19.95 USD. I think this is your best bet while waiting on PoTC to come in the mail. :p AoP2 has the amazing free-play of PoTC, and some excellent mods (google Gentlemen of Fortune.) and its fairly refined in the gameplay aspects, mixing fun with some interesting missions. Its buggy as heck however, so I would recommend said mod.

Also, if you didn't know Sea Dogs (the original.) is on GoG.com right now, if you ever wanna take that for a spin again.

AoP 2 is indeed quite good from what I gather.
No need to Google Gentlemen of Fortune. That is a PiratesAhoy! mod and can be found right here on this site.
Still doesn't hold a candle to PotC though in terms of pure gameplay.

True, but I've never been able to find a copy of POTC. I just checked and you won't have much luck on Ebay. Amazon has one copy for 55 USD, thats about it. Not really attainable by newer players or myself until GoG manages to somehow get the rights to it and release it. :p

Indeed I wished it was better available.
We did ask GOG, but didn't get any useful reply.
You can help by voting for it on there though!

On the other hand, POTC is downright impossible to get digitally short of illegal means. Ebay and Amazon aren't exactly reassuring either, with pretty steep prices for said 13 year old game. 55 USD last I checked.

Sea Dogs to Each his own, is NOT ENJOYABLE at all. Its heavily invested in russian masochism, in that the tutorial alone, is something like 10-12 hours, that you can FAIL if you don't do the missions in the correct order, causing you to rapidly go bankrupt once you hit the ocean. Mind you this is with no actual knowledge before hand. After this, you are thrown into the world with more terrible missions. It never really got enjoyable for me after my 20 or so painful hours with it.

On the other hand its 10 USD on steam. Not including the DLC. Also they changed the key fighting mechanics, and it feels .. uh.. wonky.

Your other easily gotten option is Age of Pirates 2 City of Abandoned Ships. This option is on Gamersgate, for 19.95 USD. I think this is your best bet while waiting on PoTC to come in the mail. :p AoP2 has the amazing free-play of PoTC, and some excellent mods (google Gentlemen of Fortune.) and its fairly refined in the gameplay aspects, mixing fun with some interesting missions. Its buggy as heck however, so I would recommend said mod.

Also, if you didn't know Sea Dogs (the original.) is on GoG.com right now, if you ever wanna take that for a spin again.

Hi,

I currently have AoP2 and Sea Dogs, but Im having a hard time running both on Windows 10.. if you have Win10 and have experience running these games you should probably check my threads and give advice :p

For PotC, often people need a frame rate limiter to make the game run smoothly.
Maybe you need the same for those other ones?

Back