• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Looking for JS Combined Mod

Art Falmingaid

Landlubber
Hello, everyone.

I am looking for the JScombined mod. While I think its absolutely epic what this community did for City of Abandoned Ships with the Combined Mod and Gentlemen of Fortune, I am a big believer in "less is more." I'm not interested, much, in new hero choices or ship variety, but bug fixes and convenience mods are just what I'd like. From descriptions of the JScombined mod included with Combined Mod and Gentlemen of Fortune, I think it's the perfect fit for me.

Would this mod still be available? Where?

If not, would anyone know how I could somehow pull it from the other mods?

http://www.mediafire.com/?cov2ujqcaozoz42

Here you go mate. This mod is what inspired me to become a modder. It is not just a bunch of fixes but additional ships and characters that were available to Jonathan at the time. Not much historical authenticity but its a fun mod with lots of extra stuff being added to the base game. Other people have asked for it too so here it is. Its awesome, but kind of a fantasy mod in many ways. You may get tired of facing large fleets full of Superior Warships and Mermaid Griefs when you get to higher levels. For historical authenticity you should DL my new mod - GOF Eras Mod2

MK

Thanks tons. If this mod is what I think it is, it's perfect.

http://www.mediafire.com/?cov2ujqcaozoz42

Its awesome, but kind of a fantasy mod in many ways. You may get tired of facing large fleets full of Superior Warships and Mermaid Griefs when you get to higher levels. For historical authenticity you should DL my new mod - GOF Eras Mod2

MK

I will certainly look into it. From the instruction booklet and what you say, City of Abandoned Ships has a similar problem to The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. In that game, one of the first things I looked to change was all the bandits being equipped with the best armor and weapons and the most deadly monsters all over the countryside if you leveled too high. I have no problems with some gaps in realism, but that was so absurd that it nearly ruined the game for me.

Thanks again for your help.

Use WinMerge to install the files and exclude the ship-related files and code parts.

Thanks. I thought to do something like that, but that seemed too easy.

Well, not too easy but too obvious. I'm no modder, so I'm sure it's harder than it sounds.

Last edited:
Well, you have to manually check all modified code files and exclude the parts that are related to the new ships and character models.
But those should only be a few files, most notably ships_init.c and probably HeroDescribe.txt or something like that.

I think that JA and Vorius did a patch that just fixed bugs, but I don't have it. The JA or JS mod WAS the FIRST comprehensive mod of COAS that put everyone's work together and added the ships and characters available at the time.

This should not be confused with the Combined Mods. The CMV mods were first put together with Luke159's damage and sailing work, Craiggo's texture and rigging mods, my ships_init performance, damage mods, and dialogue updates and Jonathans continuing work on code and game stability. Also many POTC Build mod models were ported in by Luke and myself.

The GOF mods saw a lot more people jump on the bandwagon with Firebat leading the pack and Darkhymn and Firebat added all of the manuals and got rid of a lot of the mystical magic properties of things. They also added a lot of interface picture changes. Luke's continuing work, Pgargon's models and Craiggo's comprehensive new textures were the big add-ons.

Screening out the ships and characters isn't that hard but saying that I can remember when I first started modding and it would have been quite difficult for me then. I guess it just depends on how badly you want that stuff gone. It seems like one of the gaming sites used to have a patch 1.1 that fixed the Tenochtitlan bug and others. Don't remember which one but that patch might still be out there if one were to search for it.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck. :shrug

MK

As I remember it, JA made his modpack together with an additional pack with ships and character models.
Then I myself put those all together in an EXE installer and posted that to the ModDB under the name of "Combined Modpack".
So yes, there was a version without ships and character models. But I don't have it and I doubt anyone still has it.

I didn't even realize we were on ModDB back in 2008/9. If I'd known that I would have DL'd it from there. I DL'd all my mods from PA!, although it was a completely different webpage back then.

There was separate patch of fixes only....I do remember that. However the JA/JS combined mod was with the extra ships and stuff. I had been an addict of CyberOps Supermod for AOP so had to try the JA mod when COAS came out.

I remember wishing I could get rid of a bunch of ugly ships as well and wishing for a mod with less....and that's what caused me to first learn to do it for myself. Now look at me....I'm like a crack addict. I can't stop modding.

MK

Yes, but look that it shows the release date of June 25th 2010. Jonathan did the JScombinedMod 1.5 thru 1.9 with Vorius and some stuff by Sordid. That was before the rest of us joined the team. That looks like almost a copy of the read me from 1.9. I think you probably took Jonathan's readme for the earlier JA mod and posted it with the CMV3.1.5 because we didn't give you anything and if I remember right at the time Summer 2010 you were trying to get everyone to get involved on ModDB.

We were having a lot of problems figuring out how to do stuff in those days and if you open a CMV mod you will find literally a dozen readme files from each one of the different modders showing the content they provided. We didn't have a "Pieter Boelen" on our team that would take the time to consolidate everyone's stuff into one Readme. We have never been organized on the COAS side of modding. I wish we had been. If I'd had more time back then I would've done much more.

MK

Ah, that's beginning to sound familiar. It must have been the JScombinedMod 1.9 version I originally posted on the ModDB.
Then when the newer version(s) were made, my old upload ended up removed.
The date on that v3.1.5 download does NOT match with the feature list artice.

I had hoped somebody might step in for CoAS so things could go in the right way.
But I couldn't do it myself and I did get the impression a lot of my suggestions and advice fell on deaf ears.
Real, genuine shame. If we could have made things work back in those days, we might have been modding CoAS by now instead of mostly sticking to PotC.

Oh well, can't change what happened. :shrug

Art,

You can always check out Corsairs Harbour. Just google translate the page.

I have downloaded most of their mods. Even though Eras is mostly my own work I have several test games that are unstable that I have been experimenting on with their patch files in. I am having breakthroughs and expect Eras patch 1 to add a lot of really cool content that people are going to like.

The one thing I have to warn you about is that if any of their files contain dialogue they are not designed to work with English COAS. It will still work but you will get blank dialogue from the English Alias file because there is nothing there. So I recommend installing the patches file by file avoiding any that have dialogue files.

So here are their old patches from 2009 for COAS: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&u=http://corsairs-harbour.ru/&prev=/search?q=corsairs+harbor+ru&biw=1776&bih=826

Find the category Corsairs: City of abandoned ships on the left and open. Then select "files". Here you will see all their old patches with explanations of content.

This is an awesome site BTW and I go there often.

MK

So there is no only bug fixes and some additional features patch/mod available except CMV?
I tried installing the russian 1.4.1 patch but for some reason it doesn't work and I don't understand the error because it's written in symbols, not in russian for some reason (probably something to do with PC I think).

Last edited:
The old Combined Mod pack is the closest you can get.
There is still a version on ModDB.

I don't know if anybody still cares, but I'm of the same mind as the op, and as a result I've actually saved a copy of JsCombinedMods 1.7 for every time I've had to do a fresh install of AoP2 for whatever reason. I can supply it if anyone is interested and it can't be found elsewhere anymore.

Back