• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Notice List of Development Roles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahoy :aar

I just wanted to ask about the quest writing role, as it's the main thing I'm interested in right now. My question is this: when do you think you'll need them?

Yes I realize you probably have too many quest writers but still :razz

Not for quite some time, seeing as we are just in the early development stages. but if you stick around I'm sure you'll get your chance to work on quests! :)

One thing,

A written quest line is important, of course it can't be implemented immediately but if we are at that stage and we need to wait for the quest writers until they are done. That will take so much more time

I can be incorrect but I believe that the questline is written before the game is able to implement it. The storyline can already be written outside of the game otherwise the questwriter will have some knowledge of code if he's the one to set it in the game.

(Just personal opinion and don't take this as offensive)

I suppose in a professional game, that might be the case.
But in this case, writing a story in words is easy-peasy. Getting it working in the game, THAT is a different matter.
We'd need someone able and willing to do that. Plus we'd have to know what can and cannot be done in the game engine.
When you're writing a book, the only limit is your imagination. Not so with a film or a game though; it has to be doable too.

What I will say is that we won't stop anyone from drafting out storyline ideas and perhaps starting work on some scripts. It makes sense to do this kind of preparation early, after all.
As long as you keep us updated so we can see if your ideas would suit the game world, that's fine.
However, if we end up with too many storylines by the time we're able to implement them, chances are it will be a long time before most of them are realised in the game.

Would be definitely worthwhile to map out a non-linear type of story in advance. :yes

And side-quests are never wasted. So that could be written out also.
It was just a suggestion and I didn't suggest to create a full-fledged storyline but just small side-lines and stuff like that.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Have you thought about factions at all? Like in the Elder Scrolls games, where you start as a rookie and work your way up. I think having the option to join (start would be even better) a smuggling ring or something similar and do quests for them would be pretty cool. And I mean like Morrowind's faction system, where you're just an average guy doing jobs for your faction instead of the prophesied Chosen One like in the later games.

OK, I've adjusted the first post accordingly. Removed Thagarr for now, since we haven't seen him for so long...

Shame about that. So many good people have vanished.
That always happens. The reason PotC modding has lasted this long isn't because all the old time modders stuck around either.
But we did hold out long enough for new people to take over and keep the fire alight.
I do believe that is what we should be aiming for, though it would help if we could keep at least a small core group active all the way through.
That seems to have helped on PotC as well. With basically myself forming that "core group". :wp

Just thought I'd mention in public that:

Next week: Still doing courses
Week after: Home again
Another week later: Back to work!

So basically, I've got only two active weeks left here. Anything I should be doing before I fly off to the Amazon?

Hi Dorico, I've added you to the Creative Support group.
Please check out the Ideas and Brainstorming forum to see what we've discussed so far, and to post any ideas of your own. :doff

Notice to all:
I've updated the first post to include how the roles on this forum translate into those on our CryDev page.
So if you want to be listed on the CryDev team, check the list in the first post to see which role to apply for.

Armada could you add me on the CryDev page as a member too? (same name ODemuth)
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back