• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Notice List of Development Roles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that anyone is working on that yet. That should start after we finalize the engine and physics.

Hello every body. I was reading a little about Artificial Intelligence in video games and I have a question:
is there anybody working on that? I ask the question because it will for sure be VERY IMPORTANT in many aspects of the game:
- economics (my stuff :) )
- NPC players (ok, UDK provides classes for that)
- NPC boats (and characters on board)
- bind all together
Have you spoken to Hammie and Hazardooster? They could tell you how far progress has come, though I seriously doubt AI has been discussed yet.

On an unrelated note: If anyone on the development team* still cannot access the Work in Progress forum, please let me know so I can grant you access.

(*i.e. those that belong to one or more of the groups on the first page of this thread)

Ok,
I Will probably post a thread about that somewhere in the "work in progress" forum in the next times.

Another question that I will post will be about the SAVE GAMES FILE FORMAT and CLASSES PLANS for the game architecture... :walkplank

Hihi, the more I think about this game, the more I see things that are to be decided :keith

By the way, my PhD is getting closer to the end, and after that I will have much more time. :aar

I'm back in action FINALLY! I would like very much to be a part of this project. Armada, you know I'm good with textures, so I'd like to help out in that department if there's room for me. I'm also skilled in sound and especially music editing. Sign me up! :onya

I can be available to help with the following areas:
• Creative Support and Brainstorming
• Quality Control
• Game Promotion and Advertising

Thanks

I'll add you to the Creative Support and Promotion groups. :doff
QC hasn't really taken off much, yet.

Hi All,

I just saw the survey about this game and thought I'd come offer any assistance I could.
I'd be looking at helping with the programming side, though I have no experience (yet) with the UDK.
My background is C#, VB and web scripting (PHP etc) and of course all the POTC/COAS modding.

So please get back to me if I can help with this.

Cheers,
Jonathan A.

We'd be happy to accept your help! :doff
You should probably speak to Hammie to find out where you can assist with the programming.

Heads up: A few weeks ago, I was contacted by Shaul Hadar (see ModDB profile), a professional music composer who expressed an interest in writing music for Hearts of Oak.
After viewing our various music discussions for reference material, he has now started working on a track, and has said he will provide a sample for us to evaluate at some point.

Apparently he has over 20 years of experience and has produced music for various video games, so we can expect some great tracks from him. :dance

Ahoy! I read about this proyect last october and offer my help, but it has been quite a busy year for me, I'm sorry I couldn't pass by more often; luckily I have free time again. I'm a software engineer, I have just finished my degree at Salamanca University. I have experience with C, C++, Java, JavaScript and Lua; so I think I can help you programming this promising game. I could help with the IA programming issue. If you want me in this ship i would be happy to help.

Edit: Also I've work with Unity3D before, but I think you're using Unreal isn't it?

A real programmer is always more than welcome! :cheers

Indeed it is the Unreal 3 engine we're working on.

At the moment, the only person who has really been working on the game engine is Hammie.
He was working on the ocean shader and getting a ship on the waves.

:cheers Outstanding, where should I start looking the work that has been done already?

I've added you to the Programmers group so you can access our Work In Progress forum. That contains discussions on everything we've done so far. :doff

A real programmer is always more than welcome! :cheers

Indeed it is the Unreal 3 engine we're working on.

Has anyone considered using the Unity3D engine instead of UDK? I believe that there are far more Unity3D developers than there are UDK developers, and there's also the Unity Asset Store that can help accelerate various aspects of game development.

Industry veterans like InXile and Obsidian are using it to create their latest games, and in the case of InXile, have even given the Unity3D community the opportunity to submit assets for possible inclusion in Wasteland 2. (See: http://u3d.as/content/in-xile-entertainment/wasteland-2-artist-s-starter-pack/3Jd)

We dismissed Unity because we would probably need the paid Pro version in order to access all the features, and we agreed that this project should remain non-commercial.
The UDK has many of the same features as Unity Pro for free.

We dismissed Unity because we would probably need the paid Pro version in order to access all the features, and we agreed that this project should remain non-commercial.
The UDK has many of the same features as Unity Pro for free.

Fair enough. Although it is a shame because I'm sure that there are many Unity Pro users out there who would love to work on the project, myself included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back