• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Latest Build Performance issues

Redbeard

Sailor
I have no idea what is going on. While playing the July 28th 4.1 Beta WiP I had no issues with lag or 'chopiness'. Now that I have installed the September 23rd build I have all kinds of wierdness during weather and when more than four ships are involved in combat. Severe lag, chopiness and all kinds of performance issues during big battles.

The only thing I did before taking my break was install some new Nvidia drivers. Other games run great. Ran CCleaner and defragged. Not sure why this old game is having issues. July 28th ran smooth as silk. I don't use Levis's fixes so I'm just baffled.

Any ideas? Im going back to the July 28th build to do some testing.

*EDIT*

Just started up the July 28th version, and got into a massive battle with 7 large ships. Spanish vs Porteguese. I didn't stay long, just enough to watch the fireworks and destroy a spanish aurora frigate.

No chopiness. No lag. Not even when they all fired at once. I am truly baffled.

I think I will do a fresh Sept. 23rd install tomarrow and see if that fixes anything.

Last edited:
After you experienced that lag, be sure to check your error.log file immediately afterwards.
If there is plenty in there, that will be the cause of it.
This seems to be quite common lately and I think @Levis still needs to look into it.

instal the "Levis Fixed" it should solve most of the lag. I still hope to make a new zip soon with all the fixes.

Confirmed. Your zip of fixes helped a bit. Still have some slight lag on land, but its alot less noticeable.
Do you have any details on that? Is it only on just entering a location? Or throughout the game?
Any accompanying error.log entries?

Do you have any details on that? Is it only on just entering a location? Or throughout the game?
Cant deliver any error logs right now, sorry for that. Bur I can confirm that it is especially happening when entering a new location on land. Crazy thing about it is, that it lags always a lot when you buy stuff in the shop, takes ages to fill your ship with anything like beer or rum...but on the contrary selling stuff goes as fast as it used to be. Not really understandable for me, i´m not into coding at all, but i would assume buying and selling stuff is implemented in a very similar, if not the same, way...will try to make an error log of this over the weekend as soon as i find some to go on with the game.

Either i´m just too dumb at the moment or no errors logs are occuring here. I followed the instructions in the build faq to activate error logging in the engine.ini, but no errors are logged while buying or selling goods in the store. So the lag at buying goods might have another reason...? (Or as I said, maybe I just don´t get the error logging working properly / making any mistake here...don´t know.)

It's the entire game. There is a serious memory leak, or FPS issue after the latest version Sept. 23. Its extremely jarring. Levis' fixes helped considerably at sea, its no longer a slideshow for no apparent reason, but walking around town is still pretty obnoxious. Imagine going from 60+ frames per second, down to 12. With the fixes it feels like 30. However the July 28th performs MUCH better.

My error log looks pretty useless lol. I don't see how perks or abilities would have anything to do with this.

Attachments

• error.log
    21.3 KB · Views: 128
Either i´m just too dumb at the moment or no errors logs are occuring here. I followed the instructions in the build faq to activate error logging in the engine.ini, but no errors are logged while buying or selling goods in the store. So the lag at buying goods might have another reason...? (Or as I said, maybe I just don´t get the error logging working properly / making any mistake here...don´t know.)
Error logging is enabled by default in the mod anyway.
If error.log is empty after the lag occurred, then indeed there were no errors.
I just wanted to rule that out. :doff

It's the entire game. There is a serious memory leak, or FPS issue after the latest version Sept. 23. Its extremely jarring. Levis' fixes helped considerably at sea, its no longer a slideshow for no apparent reason, but walking around town is still pretty obnoxious. Imagine going from 60+ frames per second, down to 12. With the fixes it feels like 30. However the July 28th performs MUCH better.

My error log looks pretty useless lol. I don't see how perks or abilities would have anything to do with this.
Looks to me like you have some kind of update not installed.
I will try to make a "good" version again. We had to rename some perks internally so maybe you missed something there.
Missing perks will generate a lot of problems with the FPS.

I know of one "magic trick" that will probably solve most recent performance issues.
But I'm not telling, because doing that doesn't actually fix anything. :rolleyes:

I know of one "magic trick" that will probably solve most recent performance issues.
But I'm not telling, because doing that doesn't actually fix anything. :rolleyes:
from what I can see most problems appear because some fixes just aren't installed. I think having a new zip will probably fix most issues.

Back