• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Low Priority Landing Party Ability: Functionality Does Not Match with Description

imado552

Master Mariner
i just noticed a few days ago i couldn't post it in those days since i was Bussy that when i destroy the port and i don't have enough troops to attack it (i was with 2 rate and two of my captains with frigates and 1 with 1 rate leadership to high for him i gave him the ship for the moral and he was good ) i ordered my 1st rate to attack the fort i( i unlocked that perk) but i didn't know if i did something wrong or that i did it in a wrong way my ship keeps on moving and then stops without attacking the fort after it was destroyed is it supposed to just weaken the fort for me not capture it becuz i had to take troops from my 1st rate to my 2rate and capture the fort thanks
and yeah one more question is this gonna aid my others captains cuz when i assign one of my captains to a ship i can assign three more with him so if i assigned three that help him in what he isn't good will he be more great in battle and will my ships ever be able to board another ship if i assign more captains for them thanks for your help AHOY !!!!!!

Companion ships should be able to fire at forts, but the capturing itself will have to be done by yourself.
Same with boardings: Companion ships don't ever so that; boardings can only ever be between the player ship and an enemy NPC ship.

You CAN add officers on your companion ships and in theory they should contribute their skills there too.
I am not 100% certain that will work quite right, but by all means try!
The F2>Ship and F2>Passengers interfaces show the "effective skills" for the captains, so you should then see those being higher than their own skills.

Provided that the officers you assign actually do have skills higher than the captain's, of course.

Companion ships should be able to fire at forts, but the capturing itself will have to be done by yourself.
Same with boardings: Companion ships don't ever so that; boardings can only ever be between the player ship and an enemy NPC ship.

You CAN add officers on your companion ships and in theory they should contribute their skills there too.
I am not 100% certain that will work quite right, but by all means try!
The F2>Ship and F2>Passengers interfaces show the "effective skills" for the captains, so you should then see those being higher than their own skills.

Provided that the officers you assign actually do have skills higher than the captain's, of course.
thanks for the fast reply and I see so what does that perk do that allows u to give orders to your ship to board (not the right word) the fort I'm in my phone now so I'm unable to send pic I'll send some tomorrow after being back home from university

I'm not sure what that does or how it works. IF it works at all, even....
I assume it would weaken the fort or something?

From the description of the perk "Troopers", alias "Landing Party":
Send a ship in the fleet to weaken or capture a fort. Effectiveness depends on the number of crew and captain's experience.
Also allows to land troops at enemy towns without forts provided there are no enemy ships around the island anymore.
I've no idea what the game code actually does with "Troopers" in relation to forts, though.

I've no idea what the game code actually does with "Troopers" in relation to forts, though.
Same here; I'm not convinced it works as advertised.
Definitely actually capturing the fort isn't going to happen.

From the description of the perk "Troopers", alias "Landing Party":

Same here; I'm not convinced it works as advertised.
Definitely actually capturing the fort isn't going to happen.
true that i just did some testing last night and i found it never works as it supposed to do in the description it won't make any ship capture weaken or even land on islands without fort and ships around it only makes ships spin around so dunno why it does that and not its job so i'm reporting this to u and u do what u want since i don't use it that much so it won't make a dif for me
but wished it worked that would be epic ordering ur ships to capture the fort and town while u fight the defendind fleet with the other 2 ships of ur fleet that would def be epic but ...i can dream right cuz i know its hard to make things like this happens because of engine limitation too bad that could have been super amazing

It would indeed be cool if it worked. May require a fair bit of time and effort to get it fully operational though.

One thing that ability DOES definitely do is to unlock the option to land troops at towns that don't have a fort.
Those are generally quite easy targets, so the ability requirement prevents you from having that as a huge exploit right at the start of the game. ;)

Anyway, I'll move this to the Bug Tracker so at least we'll remember to have a look into it some time.

It would indeed be cool if it worked. May require a fair bit of time and effort to get it fully operational though.

One thing that ability DOES definitely do is to unlock the option to land troops at towns that don't have a fort.
Those are generally quite easy targets, so the ability requirement prevents you from having that as a huge exploit right at the start of the game. ;)

Anyway, I'll move this to the Bug Tracker so at least we'll remember to have a look into it some time.
ooooh!! ok great
too bad the engine limitation is killing it or potc NH could have been more then amazing with an amazing amount of features (maybe turned into its own game why not many mods turned out like this)but anyway thanks for moving it we might have it for future
and as u said it works with towns without fort then maybe i didn't kill all the enemies around the port (iron man mod)might try it in arcade mode just for more testing thanks for quick reply

too bad the engine limitation is killing it or potc NH could have been more then amazing with an amazing amount of features (maybe turned into its own game why not many mods turned out like this)
Why do you think Hearts of Oak exists? ;)

u said it works with towns without fort then maybe i didn't kill all the enemies around the port
Indeed you do need to first deal with any ships of that nation surrounding the island before you can Land Troops.
I imagine that could indeed be fairly difficult in Iron Man Mode....

Why do you think Hearts of Oak exists? ;)
i see i never got a chance to test it out what are the pc requirement cuz i don't think my pc would handle it the graphics looks dope is there a demo right now or is it a closed beta (if my pc can hendle it i will 100% go for it and test it out)

Indeed you do need to first deal with any ships of that nation surrounding the island before you can Land Troops.
I imagine that could indeed be fairly difficult in Iron Man Mode....
yeah its too hard but its also damn fun to do u need to plan every move keep every note (is there anyway to edit a note cuz i wanna like make a note as sea diary to write the stories of the seas and my life in it.... my crew....to make it look lively a little bit and another one for my plans and what am about to do its hard some times to do it like exp my diary....my diary1.....my diary2.....ext) its life at sea simulation feel for me
and yeah i asked this question before (i think not sure where) but is there any code u can edit to get more crew walking on deck while you are at 3ed and 1st person sailing mod cuz the amount in a 1st rate is the same as in frigate lets say you can sea 20 in frigates walking the deck cleaning the canons and in 1st rate u sea 20 as well maybe a code i can edit to make it 100 or 50 for all ships thanks sorry for the big long paragraphe and too many questions (can't hold my self because of this ideas excitement)

i see i never got a chance to test it out what are the pc requirement cuz i don't think my pc would handle it the graphics looks dope is there a demo right now or is it a closed beta (if my pc can hendle it i will 100% go for it and test it out)
Downloads - Hearts of Oak: Conquest of the Seas

is there anyway to edit a note
You can write manual entries in your Ship's Log.

is there any code u can edit to get more crew walking on deck while you are at 3ed and 1st person sailing mod
No easy way that I know of. :no

And even if we could, I doubt the game engine would handle 100 crew on deck very well.
So I'd have to recommend against increasing those numbers.

Just been trough the code and Trooper does nothing except adding the ability to land enemies.
I like the challenge of this. If it for exmple just lowered the amount of enemies at the fort when activated it would do what it says but it should also move the ship very close to the fort to actually do this. But this is all dooable. Thanks for reporthing this. It's on my todo list.

I think ideall if you use this Ability, the companion ship should sail towards the fort and, if it manages to arrive, the fort's strength should be reduced in proportion to the crew of the ship you sent.
Sounds to me like this could be quite tough to get working properly.

So for the final release we should take a look at this.
I believe we have two options:
easy option
change the description of the perk so it reflects what it does.

Harder option
Try to make it function more like originally intended.

---

For now I'm inclined to go for the easy option

Back