• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Korean "The Pirates" Debuts Summer 2014!

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
I a bit late on this one, but I just ran across it today, the South Korean film "The Pirates" was sold to be shown in 15 countries across North America, Europe and Asia at the Cannes Film Market, Lotte Entertainment announced a couple of weeks ago at Cannes 2014

"This marks the highest presale rate for a Korean period film this year," said a spokesperson for Lotte Entertainment. "After only seeing just a short clip, foreign buyers have noted the quality and scale of the computer graphics, as well as the impressive action sequences that demonstrate wide mainstream appeal."

According to all the information I was able to track down, the film is set some time in the Korean Joseon Dynasty and tells the story of two rival gangs of outlaws. One group of pirates led by Korean actress Son Ye-jin, the other a group of land based outlaws led by Kim Nam Gil.

The two rivals square off in a search for an Imperial seal that was lost when it was swallowed by ghostly whale. The person who finds the seal is rumoured to receive unlimited power. There is no word yet when the film will appear in other market, but it is slated to open this summer in S. Korea.

Original source and HanCinema permalink.

**EDIT**
Original posted trailer has been removed, this one works!

Attachments

• The_Pirates_2014.jpg
    The_Pirates_2014.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I like Korean movies and I like pirates, so I will definitely watch this.

For those interested in trying out some Korean movies I recommend "The Good, the Bad, the Weird" (Action Packed Wild West like movie taking place during the Japanese invasion), "War of the Arrows" (Takes place during the Joseon Dynasty and features some really cool Archer vs. Archer battles), and "Blades of Blood" (This one might be more difficult to follow if you know nothing about the Joseon Dynasty).

This movie is now on Netflix! I'm not sure when it showed up, but I just found it in the new releases!

This movie is now on Netflix! I'm not sure when it showed up, but I just found it in the new releases!
Indeed it was available last week from the Video on Demand at home as well; I'm admittedly quite curious, but haven't watched it yet.
Anyone had the chance?

Still haven't got around to watching it, Cities Skylines has been eating all my free time lately!

Ok, I finally got around to watching this, and I must say it was actually pretty good! It is really a pretty entertaining and amusing movie, and the CGI looks really good! They even poke fun at the POTC movies, good stuff! I am certainly no expert on Korean ships, or history, but they did a pretty good job on both in my opinion. There are a couple of parts that are a bit hokey, and there is a bit too much "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" stylization in it for me, but overall, it is well worth watching! :onya

Back