• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

JRH quest

I checked and those files were never included in the old installer (28 july). Strange that they
show up now. Anyway I can continue for new adventures again.

:ship

I checked and those files were never included in the old installer (28 july). Strange that they
show up now. Anyway I can continue for new adventures again.
Either they were in @Grey Roger's archive, or I happened to install them before I became completely too busy to do anything.
If the latter, HOLY CRAP THAT WAS LUCKY! :cheeky

The files can't have been in my archive because I didn't go digging for ancient stuff, so the only way they'd have got into the archive would be if @Jack Rackham included them in the "Woodes Rogers" update. In that case they wouldn't have been missing. xD So you must have found them somewhere. :onya

I'm planning where things gonna happen in my quest. France and Spain are hostile. I managed to land at
Guadeloupe by raising a french flag. When I left the port they sank me just like that. (still french flag)

It was a very long time since I played this game the wayin a proper way.
How does this relations thing work? Was I only lucky to reach the port? If not why did they sank me on my way out?

What I'm after is:
can I use hostile islands for my quest things or will that be an impossible obstacle for the player.

I'm planning where things gonna happen in my quest. France and Spain are hostile. I managed to land at
Guadeloupe by raising a french flag. When I left the port they sank me just like that. (still french flag)
Please post your compile.log file; there should be a note in there to explain why you got attacked.

can I use hostile islands for my quest things or will that be an impossible obstacle for the player.
Of course you can!

There are several things you can use:
1. Use iForceDetectionFalseFlag = -1; which will make everyone ALWAYS believe your false flag
2. Or this if you want to exclude only specific characters:
Code:
ch.skipFalseFlag = true;
3. Or ResetCharacterMemory(ch); if a character (such as a fort commander) remembers you as hostile, but that memory needs to be cleared to turn him friendly again

Thanks for the answer.
case 1. looks very good. I can't end up in a situation where I can't get to certain ports.

Also I want to spread the action around the caribbean and so far I have used 6 islands
but they're all in the northern half of the map. So the spanish main is tempting.

Here's the log.

Attachments

• compile.log
    26.7 KB · Views: 273
Here's the log.
Bugger, my phone refuses to open that; I'll have to remember to check it when I'm on my computer again.

In the meantime, you could have a look yourself. There should be a line about why the fort turned hostile.

Maybe this is it:
FLAGS: The 'Pointe a Pitre Fort' remembers us as personal
I tried with my personal flag first on my way in. That must be it. But they were fooled
after that with my false french flag. But on my way out ...

Never mind. I think I know enough to use any island now.

That is indeed the fort memory system. It checks every minute or so. If you start off out of range of the fort and then SailTo the port, it doesn't have time to update its view of you since you first arrived and it couldn't identify you because you were too far away, so you're safe for about a minute. During that time, you dock. When you go to sea again, you're immediately in range of the fort, it remembers you, and fires at you.

What I'm after is:
Does the quest require you to sail to the port itself? Would it be acceptable to land at a beach and then walk to the port? For that matter, would the quest break if someone lands at the beach and then walks to port?

The main problem would be Tortuga, which has no beach. If you're hostile to both France and Pirates then you have to risk going in under a false flag.

@Jack Rackham: Apparently you are personally hostile with France and the Pointe a Pitre fort saw you sailing around with a Personal flag:
Code:
FLAGS: The 'Pointe a Pitre Fort' has spotted us at 884.09 and will remember us as British in Model_SloopBermuda with visibility=900.
FLAGS: The 'Pointe a Pitre Fort' remembers us as British
[...]
FLAGS: The 'Pointe a Pitre Fort' has spotted us at 463.36 and will remember us as personal in Model_SloopBermuda with visibility=900.
[...]
FLAGS: The 'Pointe a Pitre Fort' remembers us as personal
Therefore they remember that and don't believe you when you're flying a French flag later.
Unless you use any of the "bypass methods" from post #65 above.

It's not necessary to sail into the ports, Just to get there somehow.

I'll try to use iForceDetectionFalseFlag = -1; to avoid quets stops.

Tortuga has already some quest action so I cannot avoid it.
When I imported Tortuga I noticed some interesting things about the location, which I now have
made use of.

Is there any way/trick to visit a fort without being attacked?
Are you referring to the dialog triggered attacks?
I can't remember exactly, but you can probably add an exception to those dialogs if none is in place yet.

If you mean, can you walk into a fort from a land entrance and not have one of the soldiers challenge you, it's very easy. Don't be sneaky.

If you try to look inconspicuous, keep your weapon drawn and wear a uniform like the fort's soldiers, you'll probably be attacked. If you go in wearing an enemy uniform with your sword drawn, they leave you alone. xD

It's nothing to do with the uniform - apart from a few places in my storyline, the game doesn't care which outfit you're using. But if you have a weapon drawn, dialogs can't happen, so the guards can't challenge you.

Thanks for that. A little strange though: if you have your sword drawn - they don't attack!!

Maybe I'll give the dialog file a try anyway. Or just exchange that dialog file with something
that don't give attacks (in WR).

A little strange though: if you have your sword drawn - they don't attack!!
The attack is triggered through dialog and they can't start dialog with character who have their blade drawn.

Or just exchange that dialog file with something
that don't give attacks (in WR).
That should be easy enough; the storyline dialog files with the same name take precedence over the general ones.

You can even change dialog file within the storyline. I've done this several times when I want to "borrow" a character and don't want to mess with the general files. For example, I hijacked Adam Groot, one of the citizens of Philipsburg:
Code:
           PChar.quest.normal_dialog = characters[GetCharacterIndex("Adam Groot")].Dialog.Filename;
           characters[GetCharacterIndex("Adam Groot")].Dialog.Filename = "witness_dialog.c";
And when I had finished with him:
Code:
           characters[GetCharacterIndex("Adam Groot")].Dialog.Filename = PChar.quest.normal_dialog;

You can get rid of all the normal inhabitants of a fort by putting a 'vcskip' on each location in the fort, then populate it with your own characters. When the quest is over, remove your people and cancel the 'vcskip', then the fort can resume its normal activities.

Back