• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Johan Elting - Assassin quest - more trouble

I know about the decision. Right now I'm playing the final chapter "The Actez Treasure", so I berthed my second ship in Port Royale.

About the ships list: I can't know if you have made changes or additions to the ships list, when you update the build, that's why I imagine I'd have to check for myself, before using my version of the list.

As I haven't got a clue about ship names in different eras, I couldn't personally care less. From the Hornblower books I learned, that the English honored the capture of a French ship (of a certain size I assume) by naming a newbuilt ship after it. That explains all the French names for English ships. I kept that and added the French names to the French list as well. So I may also encounter English ships with French names.

When the books mentioned ships from other nations than the ones in the Caribbean, I added them to the pirate ships, so the Turkish ship (as an example) Medjidieh is now a pirate name.

And I just discovered, that I never tidied up the Portugese names. I'll do that and upload the list.

About the ships list: I can't know if you have made changes or additions to the ships list, when you update the build, that's why I imagine I'd have to check for myself, before using my version of the list.
Do you still have the Beta 2.1 installer? If so, you should be able to get the original one before your changes.
Then it's just a comparison between that one and the Beta 4.1 WIP version to see if there were any differences.
WinMerge could help with that.

I forgot to do this check myself yesterday (was a busy evening) and I won't have access to the relevant files until Sunday evening at the earliest.... :oops:

OK, so "The Aztec Treasure" already existed in Beta 2.1. The trick is, just before you go to the fort to rescue or kill Bartolomeu, berth your ship at Eleuthera. By the time you rescue Bartolomeu you should not have any ships because you're going to be given command of his. Then you go to Kralendijk and end up getting a xebec - the plot is supposed to be that after you sided with Bartolomeu, Chico Cois got your ship and was sent to kill you. So you get his xebec, plus the one you left at Eleuthera, plus the second one wherever you left it (probably also at Eleuthera if you've kept it with you for cargo space).

About ship lists: the version of "ships_name.c" currently in the build hasn't changed since 2013. I don't know when Beta 2.1 came out, but that may very well be the same version of the file which you used as a start point for your lists.

"Hornblower": definitely get Beta 4.1 before playing that. There's been a good bit of debugging, plus I added an extra bit to tie off some loose plot ends.

I don't know when Beta 2.1 came out, but that may very well be the same version of the file which you used as a start point for your lists.
Build 14 Beta 2.2 was released in 2012: PotC: New Horizons - Build 14 Beta 2.2 Released! news
So it could be that there have been some changes. Would need to be double-checked, for which we'd need the original Beta 2.1 version of the file.
I probably have that on an external HD somewhere, but I can't get to it until Sunday at the earliest (assuming I don't forget).

Here is the updated list over names. Please note, that I don't count spaces into the alphabetic order, so as an example Oliveira E Carmo is placed between O Horrendo and O Minho. If you disagree, you will have to change that.

Because I've moved KAM's spell-checked names around, I've added the comment to the top of each nation. And I don't know, why the line with the pirate names Black Heart and Blarney Cock should be deleted, so the names remain in the proper alphabetic places.

As far as I know, I haven't spell-checked any names - only cut and pasted them. Vasco da Gama was very popular - it appeared trice. And there are also English names among the French ships - captured ships I think.

I hope, I haven't deleted anything crucial. My first list worked fine in my game. Now, I'm about to play with the new corrections.

And as I still have a backup of the original beta 2.1-list, you don't have to search for that one. I'll upload it too.

Attachments

• ships_name - with my additions.c
    23.9 KB · Views: 194
  • ships_name-original.c
    21.6 KB · Views: 216
The only difference I can see between "ships_name-original.c" and the version we have now is in Portuguese names with special characters. For example:
"ships_name-original.c": São Sebastião
Current "ships_name.c": SÝo SebastiÝo

Presumably there was a reason for the change, so if your expanded list is to be used with the current version of the game then the special characters will need to be replaced the same way.

That would explain, why that letter doesn't appear in game. I wonder, if it's my language settings, that have caused that, when the file was opened or saved.

More likely the letter did not appear at all, which would explain why it has been changed in the later version. It was the original file, not your modified version, which I compared against the current one. Edit your version to replace "ã" with "Ý" and you may then be able to see the letter.

Should there perhaps be a warning implemented at that point?
For example, have the governor tell you to get rid of all your ships and have him only continue after you did?
Could you tell me where exactly in the storyline I need to change the dialogue?

Probably somewhere in "Salvadore Benavides_dialog.c", in the sequence which begins at case "begin_102" and ends at case "begin_104". At the end, in "begin_104", the vice-admiral tells you that Captain Padilla's fleet is waiting for you in port, then it triggers quest case "fleet_towards_aruba". That is where the three galleons are assigned to your fleet, overriding any other ship you may have with you. So dialog case "begin_103" or "begin_104" probably needs to check if you have any companion ships and if so, tell you to sell or berth them. Perhaps warn that Captain Padilla will commandeer the extra ships if you don't put them out of the way.

Presumably there was a reason for the change, so if your expanded list is to be used with the current version of the game then the special characters will need to be replaced the same way.
Indeed I do believe there was a very good reason for that.
And I think you found it. That ã character had a hard time showing up. :wp

I've just finished the story line. I'm quite impressed with all the things, you have managed to do - cannons firing and Oranjestad burning, the entirely changed environment at the fort holding the Aztec treasure. Though the warcrimes of Oranjestad suddenly changed the mood to a sinister one.

I'm also impressed with the patrolling guards Johan had to kill to place his bombs in the various sabotage situations. Once I had understood the use of the poisoned knives, it was quite fun to see, if I could kill them all silently. My great collection of cobble stones did help in some of those situation. I just had to aim correctly. Imagine my surprise, when I hit one of the cannons - and it fainted.

I was a bit surprised, that the sabotage of the cannons of Mona didn't affect my relationship with England. The portadmiral of Antigua sure did remember me, when I tried to pay him a visit later on.

An extra thought: would it be possible to add the news our characters generate into the general news, the taverners have. The news of Roche Braziliano's execution in Havana would surely spread around the Caribbean (an example).

Last edited:
I've just finished the story line. I'm quite impressed with all the things, you have managed to do - cannons firing and Oranjestad burning, the entirely changed environment at the fort holding the Aztec treasure. Though the warcrimes of Oranjestad suddenly changed the mood to a sinister one.

I'm also impressed with the patrolling guards Johan had to kill to place his bombs in the various sabotage situations. Once I had understood the use of the poisoned knives, it was quite fun to see, if I could kill them all silently. My great collection of cobble stones did help in some of those situation. I just had to aim correctly. Imagine my surprise, when I hit one of the cannons - and it fainted.
Thanks for your comment :) And yes, using cobblestones and poisoned knives are useful in my storylines.
I was a bit surprised, that the sabotage of the cannons of Mona didn't affect my relationship with England. The portadmiral of Antigua sure did remember me, when I tried to pay him a visit later on.
I need to check that about the relation with England. At least, I can add a temporary bad relation with England....
An extra thought: would it be possible to add the news our characters generate into the general news, the taverners have. The news of Roche Braziliano's execution in Havana would surely spread around the Caribbean (an example).
Yes, the news system could be updated with the actions made by the main character not only for this storyline but also for the Bartolomeu one.

How does the news system work? Apart from adding reports in other storylines, it would also make sense for news reports to show up if you raid a fort. There are plenty of reports of other pirates raiding settlements, why should you be left out?

There is a function call to trigger Tavern news.
At the moment it is mainly just random, but it would indeed be pretty cool to add some stuff related to story events! :woot

Back