• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Jessica Watson Sets Off To Sail Around The World

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
This has nothing to do with pirates, at least I hope it doesn't! Every time I see a story like this, it just boggles my mind that any parent would let a child even attempt something like this. In my opinion, regardless of sailing experience or skills, there is no way a 16 year old is mentally or physically ready for a feat like this.

SYDNEY — A 16-year-old Australian steered her bright pink yacht out of Sydney Harbor on Sunday to start her bid to become the youngest person to sail solo and unassisted around the world.

Jessica Watson's plan to make a 23,600-mile (38,000-kilometer) journey through some of the world's most treacherous waters sparked a debate in Australia about whether someone so young should be allowed to try such a potentially dangerous feat.

Watson and her family insist she is an experienced and capable sailor who has studied navigation, electronics and maritime safety procedures. Although she will sail solo and unassisted, she will be in constant contact with her support team via radio, e-mail and a blog.

The teenager did not speak with reporters before she left, and it was her mom who first updated the Internet diary Sunday.

"I know you are all anxious to hear from Jess, but she's a little preoccupied on her first day, so she asked me to post a quick note to let everyone know that the departure went well this morning," Julie Watson wrote on the blog.

"I would like to sincerely thank all those wonderful people who came out on the harbor this morning and down to the marina to wish Jess well," she posted only hours after giving her daughter a tearful hug and saying goodbye.

Watson sailed her pink, 34-foot (10-meter) yacht out of Sydney under gray skies and slightly choppy conditions. She smiled and waved to scores of well-wishers on land and in boats that had gathered on the harbor.

"I think a lot of Australians are nervous for Jessica. I'm nervous for her," Deputy Prime Minister Julia Gillard told Nine Network television. "But my words at this stage, given that she's determined to go, would be to wish her the best of luck and to urge her to keep safe."
Story continues below

Watson's plans suffered several setbacks before she finally left. Last month, her yacht collided with a cargo ship as she sailed toward Sydney to make final preparations – an accident that triggered some calls for her to abandon the attempt.

More recently, strong winds in Sydney delayed her planned departure last week.

Rest of the story here :
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/18/jessica-watson-sets-off-t_n_325117.html

You can read more about Jessica and her yacht here:
http://www.jessicawatson.com.au/

If she wasnt an Aussie I would think she would fail (she ran into a cargo tanker the other week xD:)

But I do wish her luck in her quest (and NO I dont know her personal :no) :rofl

lol @ running lights! :woot

I watched a couple of videos on her web page, according to one of the news reports, apparently she went to sleep and had one of her collision detectors turned off.

over here there's a 14-year-old who's going to have a go at it, once the authorities let her. schooling's the one thing holding it back, since the parents aren't.

Couldn't she just do online schooling via a satellite uplink, or something? If she insists on being silly, let her get it out of her system. xD:

I got to admit, this little lass has lasted a lot longer than I thought she would!

Sailor marks 70 days at sea

SYDNEY - AUSTRALIAN schoolgirl Jessica Watson on Sunday marked 70 days at sea in her solo round-the-world sail, after a foggy Christmas on one of the most isolated points on the planet.

Watson, 16, has travelled 8,000 nautical miles since leaving Sydney in her pink yacht on October 18 in her bid to become the youngest person to sail solo, non-stop and unassisted around the world, her spokesman Andrew Fraser said. 'It's all going really well,' Fraser told AFP. 'She is ahead of the proposed schedule at the moment. She just passed 8,000 miles this morning. So far, we are just delighted with her progress.'

Watson had not yet faced a monster storm but was enduring constant three to four metre swells and 25 knot winds in the cool Southern Ocean, he said. 'It's rough most of the time out there,' he said. 'It's never easy or comfortable.'

In her blog, Watson wrote that Christmas was her 'foggiest day yet' and that she had spent the day speaking to family on the phone, eating her favourite foods and opening the presents which had been stored on her 10-metre boat. 'I have to admit I spent the day being pretty lazy, just doing the bare minimum to keep us moving vaguely in the right direction and staying out of the cold,' she wrote on Saturday.

On December 24, Watson said she had passed an area known as Point Nemo - the point in the ocean farthest from land - and that the closest land was 1,450 nautical miles away on either Pitcairn or Easter island or Antarctica. In her postings, the teenage adventurer has written of her isolation but said she is not lonely despite seeing nothing but ocean for months.

'It's still strange to think that I'm probably hundreds of miles from the nearest person, in fact it's now almost two months since I've seen anyone,' she wrote in early December. Sure I've seen other boats but none of them have come close enough to actually make out the crew. Maybe stranger still, I can honestly say that I've not once felt lonely out here. Homesick sure and I've missed everyone since the moment I sailed out of Sydney, but not lonely.'

Watson, whose record attempt was criticised by some officials after she crashed into a massive coal freighter in a test run, said she felt like the 'luckiest girl in the world' to be on a little boat in the middle of the ocean. The Queensland teenager, who jokes that her stuffed toys make up her 'crew", plans to end her 23,000 nautical mile journey in May after passing the treacherous Cape Horn, the Southern Atlantic and the Cape of Good Hope. -- AFP

Original story here :
http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Sport/Story/STIStory_470926.html

I'm wondering if her attempt is meant to best Tania Aebi. She will certainly be younger than Aebi when she completed her successful solo circumnavigation. For those of you who are into sailing and follow the mags, you're probably very familiar with Aebi's columns and books. For those who are not, here's her WIKI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tania_Aebi :yes

BTW this is one of my life's goals as well, but not solo. I plan on attempting in about four years from now in a 46-55 footer and taking my time over the following five years on my already pre-charted route. I will of course have plenty of plasma screens, computers and games on board. ;)

MK

Im glad she has got so far, when she ran into that tanker on a practice run I had my doubts. :keith

One more thing: AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!

In case you guys havnt heard, Jessica completed her around the world trip a little early this month, well done to her I say! :bow

Thanks for the update Captain Maggee, well done indeed! That is quite an accomplishment! She is one brave, and determined young lass! :cheers

Agreed, the achievement is notable and not a small feat.

However, I can't help mention a couple things that have been nagging at me on these youthful circumnavs the last couple years. Seamanship is seamanship granted, but it seems like there is a lot of showboating and PR in motion here. I'm hearing about petitions submitted to the ASA for 12 and 13 year olds recently. Don't get me wrong, if that's what they want to do and they are capable and competent, then lets not rain on their parade. Safety is a big deal here, and no doubt the last couple to do it had support following a short distance and radio call away. I think this takes something away from the whole man against sea deal. When Tania Abei did it a couple decades back, she was truly alone - Girl against ocean. The other thing that gets me is that the route is optimized for quick passage now as well. To me, the way they do it now (so that they can say they did it) is much different than the spirit/attitude Slocum had when he did it solo in his little wood boat almost a century and a half ago - No radio, no modern electronic navigation aids. He did it with a sextant and a chart and his own natural abilities/seamanship.

I am going to do this sooner than later. My dream is to take five years to do it and see a bunch of places I've always wanted to go along the way. However, there are guys that get together to work the "quick route" all the time. If you're interested just look up the adds. If you have nothing to do for a few months and have a little experience, you can sign on. When I retire two years from now, I plan on joining one of these crews just for the experience of it as well as the confidence building and tweaking of my own seamanship to finally do it myself hopefully about 5 years from now.

Don't get me wrong, I admire her achievement, I just wonder how many folks are willing to do it the way Slocum did these days. I just don't think that you can compare the two achievements. They are just not in the same league.

MK

Back