• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Jack Aubrey's first own ship, the HMS Sophie

Excellent! :cheers
Now we've got the Sophie, the Bellona and the Surprise...
Only a thing, the bulwarks are white...

You're right, but the ship described in the book was in fact the HMS Vencejo and the story is that of the HMS Speedy by Thomas, Lord Cochrane. During the construction of the ship, I have decided on the HMS Vencejo. But maybe I'll build even after the HMS Speedy.

CRW_8323.jpgSophie010.jpg

She does look sweet.

But, technically, I believe the rig depicted on the book cover is called artistic license. It did not exist as shown in the real world. British naval brigs were not originally rigged with a Main Course. Meaning a sail rigged from the lowest yard of the Main Mast. Because the gaff jaws and sail hoops got in the way. By the middle of the 1700's the Americans were setting up a Jack Mast just behind the main mast for the hoops of the Driver sail. Now that the driver was not mounted on the Main mast, they could make the main mast thicker and add woodlins( I think that is what they were called, ropes around the mast to stiffen it.) With the main now stronger the Main course could now be mounted. This rig was referred to as a 'Snow'. Another difference between the Brig and Snow is the size of the Driver sail. The size of the Snow driver was greatly reduced from that of the Brig to offset the increase in sail area caused by adding the Main Course.

Later on the word Snow fell out of use and this rig became known as a Brig. The Main and the jack mast was also moved forward to nearly the middle of the ship to move the center of effort forward and not push the ships head down.

Keep up the good work.
Greg.

New Update 22.02.2010 :dance

[attachment=4626:Sophie_01.JPG][attachment=4627:Sophie_02.JPG][attachment=4628:Sophie_03.JPG][attachment=4629:Sophie_04.JPG]

:wp I'm so exited and I just can't hide it! I'm about to loose controle, but I think I like it! I know I know I know... I want to :wp

Hi pgargon, this afternoon, at about the five o'clock i upload the plains, you can find them in my ftp folder... The greyhound is a british 20 guns frigate built in the 1720...

Back