• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Discussion I've got an idea about taking different cannons in one ship

DF5

Sailor Apprentice
Storm Modder
There is a drawback in all the AOP games: Every ship can only be equipped one caliber of cannons. it would make the sea battles unrealistic and bored. Otherwise, the small caliber cannons which can be loaded fast will fill the vacant time of the big cannons reloading. I discussed this topic many years ago, and have been told this fuction is limited by the hard code, everybody could't modify it. But now I have an unconventional idea to realize it: Why can't we deal with other cannons on a ship as the consort ships which are covered by an invisible texture, and always align to the position of the flagship, and can be controlled by player to fire? I think these can be coded by the program? I’m not familiar with programming. But this function will disable the real consort ships to be played.

Last edited:
Why can't we deal with other cannons on a ship as the consort ships which are covered an invisible texture, and always align to the position of the flagship, and can be controlled by player to fire? I think these can be coded by the program? I’m not familiar with programming. But this function will disable the real consort ships to be played.
For one thing, those companion ships will either be placed somewhere near your ship, or they'll be placed on your ship and then you'll sink due to continual collisions. Also, NPC ships will need the same thing, otherwise your 1st rate ship of the line with a mixture of 18lb, 24lb and 32lb cannons will be outgunned by everyone else's identical ship with all 32lb cannons; or you will outgun them because they have the same number of 32lb guns as you without any of the secondaries. So you're effectively trebling the number of ships in all encounters.

Replacing all companion ships with fake ships to simulate different guns will break any quest which forcibly assigns companions to you. I don't know about the other games, but in PoTC, that includes most of the storylines and at least four sidequests.

And even disregarding all that, I'd say that losing the ability to buy or capture ships is too high a price for being able to have mixed guns on the same ship.

Reactions: DF5
Back