• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Cannot Confirm Issues with Apothecary and Church sidequest

ExtincE

Sailor Apprentice
Hey guys,

While helping the apothecary with his quest, I got at the lighthouse (after midnight, on foot), talked to the dude, yet his ship exploded. Then the game froze after he said the natives were attacking, then he ran away, but the natives never appeared.

According to the walkthrough, I should have been teleported to Cartagena.
When I reloaded an older save and got at the lighthouse at 23:38 the natives did appear after talking to the guy.

After talking to the apothecary again, the native appeared and they made a truce. Supposedly I gotta give the natives some opium within 5 months and that finishes the quest, but the walkthrough says it's bugged from here, so need I bother? The walkthrough claims you cant control your ship after reaching this point, but I can sail just fine. The walkthrough also says that with high enough melee, commerce and luck skill you can buy bows off the natives, but I can't despite meeting those criteria. After offering to buy a bow the native attacks me anyway.

The natives aren't gone from the port either after coming to a truce, disabling fast travel in the port area.

With the church quest, I'm stuck at the point after I gave the priest a cross. I'm in Bridgetown and the quest walkthrough says to enter the crypt on the backside of the church and find a corpse with a gun and book. I did find one corpse, but it is holding neither gun nor book. There is no F3 option visible either and no interaction with the corpse possible.

(PS: clearing out the Maltese Abbey gives a boatload of bonuses and gear.. maybe seal that off until character lvl 15 or something. Literally 8 hours in to the game and have 4/7/5/6/1/5/5/1/6/6 and 275 HP purely from clearing out that abbey/cript.. not to mention about 50 swords and another 40 items or so.. bit broken)

Playing
Build Version: Monday 17th December 2018
Build 14

Attachments

• compile.log
    7.1 KB · Views: 277
  • system.log
    1.9 KB · Views: 289
About the "Mysterious Plants" quest: see also Unconfirmed Bug - Bugs in "Mysterious Plants"

About the Maltese Abbey: if you want to spend 8 hours solid plugging away at ghostly monks, we're not going to stop you. xD Personally I'd rather spend the same 8 hours progressing a storyline, doing sidequests, or raiding enemy ships - probably ending up with plenty of XP, HP and swords as well. Everyone has their own way of enjoying the game!

About the Maltese Abbey: if you want to spend 8 hours solid plugging away at ghostly monks, we're not going to stop you.
I meant I played 8 hours in total. Of which maybe a 30-40 minutes clearing the Abbey from top to bottom (cant leave a single chest or hidden treasure unturned of course!) but there's just way too much loot in there I suppose.

Also meant to mention: I don't have the share experience perk yet, neither does any of my officers. Yet they get XP from me killing monks in the abbey for example, where they can't even fysically join me. But also in the jungle when i'm just killing stuff without anyone with me they level up from my kills somehow.

About the "Mysterious Plants" quest: see also Unconfirmed Bug - Bugs in "Mysterious Plants"
I've never met a hysterical priest. I just went to the apothecary, accepted the quest, went to the church, donated the money, went back to the apothecary, told him his money was donated.
Saved the crewmember outside the apothecary, went to the docks, talked with the smuggler, went to the tavern, accepted the 10 bows quest. Talked with apothecary, met his man in the tavern, cleared the maltese abbey until it was dark and went to the lighthouse. Saved before reaching the lighthouse (23:35), talked with the guy there, his ship exploded and game crashed giving a C++ runtime error when the natives were supposed to spawn in.
Reloaded the save, ran around till it was after midnight, went back to the lighthouse, talked to him. Same happened, but without the game crashing. He said the natives attacked, ran off towards town. No natives spawned in, so I just ran after him. Upon reaching town I talked to the apothecary that I couldnt complete his quest, a native appeared and to finish the quest I now have to get the natives some opium within 5 months.

I would've liked to play it out the way it should according to the wiki. A.k.a. go to the lighthouse at night, get teleported to Cartagena port upon talking to the contact there. But instead I always get the stupid pop-up that the natives are attacking, which they aren't..:(

To clarify: I went to the lighthouse on foot and my ship was moored in Bridgetown Port.

Last edited:
Also meant to mention: I don't have the share experience perk yet, neither does any of my officers. Yet they get XP from me killing monks in the abbey for example, where they can't even fysically join me. But also in the jungle when i'm just killing stuff without anyone with me they level up from my kills somehow.
@Pieter Boelen: I've a vague memory that you may have done this back when we were discussing how much experience officers should get outside their job-related skills. If so, can you remember what you did? It would indeed be more accurate if only those officers in your shore party get a share of melee XP (unless you or a suitable officer have the "Shared Experience" perk). They're the ones present in the fight and gaining combat experience even if they don't actually manage to hit anything. So if you can point me to where melee experience is shared with everyone, perhaps I can alter it to be shared only with party officers.

@Pieter Boelen: I've a vague memory that you may have done this back when we were discussing how much experience officers should get outside their job-related skills. If so, can you remember what you did? It would indeed be more accurate if only those officers in your shore party get a share of melee XP (unless you or a suitable officer have the "Shared Experience" perk). They're the ones present in the fight and gaining combat experience even if they don't actually manage to hit anything. So if you can point me to where melee experience is shared with everyone, perhaps I can alter it to be shared only with party officers.
Indeed I think we were both playing around a bit with that code; can't remember what we left it at in the final version.
Must be somewhere in Leveling.c . This might point in the right direction: Feature Request - Shared XP Discussion

There must have been another thread to do with shared skills, particularly shared "Fencing", because:
The "Fencing is always shared" logic was specifically at @Grey Roger's request, who insisted on that quite adamantly. :cheeky
That's early in this thread, referring in the past tense to my requirement for "Fencing" to be shared among the shore party.

In "Leveling.c", the only part I can find which specifically shares "Fencing" skill is this, in "AddXP(ref chref, string expName, int _exp, string group)":
Code:
           if (expName == SKILL_FENCING)                                                           // Fencing is a personal skill and should be handled differently
           {
               if (skillmult < 0.5 && bAllies(chref) && IsOfficer(chr))   skillmult = 0.5;   // Character is in the player shore party
           }
           else                                                                                   // For any non-personal skills
           {
               tempmult = GetOfficerSkillFactor(chr, expName);                                       // This means some officers can get 200% XP!
               if (skillmult < tempmult) skillMult = tempmult;                                       // The officer who gains the XP will ALWAYS get it
           }
That check on 'IsOfficer(chr)' ought to limit it to the shore party. So if everyone else is getting a share of "Fencing" skill, it has to be coming from somewhere else...

What I'm wondering is if perhaps GENERAL XP is being added.
Because I thought the "fencing only for your local officers" thing worked by now.

Maybe switch on those debug toggles at the top of Leveling.c and see what actually happens?

There must have been another thread to do with shared skills, particularly shared "Fencing"
Very likely. We probably had our discussion go through several different threads.
Sounds like something that would happen. :rofl

Update: can not confirm the problem.

After starting a new game as a Spanish character, I recruited four random officers from the tavern, then made two of them active shore party officers and the other two just passengers. (They actually did that bit for me. All but one recruited themselves into the same officer slot, so the shore party consisted of the last recruit plus the one who went into a different slot.) Then I headed out into the jungle looking for trouble, which is easy if you start as Spanish because beyond the outskirts of San Juan is the passage which always contains four villains, and beyond that is the shore which contains four more. I did most of the killing, but stood aside so one of the officers could kill one or two enemies as well. Any time I killed an enemy, the shore party officers got a share of the XP, and also when one of them did the killing. By the time I'd been to the shore and back, we'd picked up a good load of XP.

The passenger officers didn't get anything.

Which is as it should be.

Officers who are supposed to be good at fighting might pick up "Fencing" XP though the normal sharing procedure for skills associated with their job; none of the random officers in this test were such a type.

Hi All,
I have played the Apothecary quest numerous times without crashes as long as you pay the money to the priest in the church and not any of the other options as these were broken. I have not had the issue of the ship blowing up at night - only if you go there during the day. I also do the Abbey ato get my fencing / fighting skills up early in the game as well and digging for treasure gives a quick way of increasing your luck if you are persistent. Horses for courses and I wouldn't change it too much as there is considerable risk in getting killed doing it. I have not played this with the current 2019 fixes yet and will test this today.

Have tested the Apothecary through the problem point and completed it without crash or fault - This was the latest 2019 fixes Build 14 on a Win7 machine. I can't seem to replicate the problem. :shrug

Has anyone confirmed that he has the latest version ?

There shouldn't be anything in the last couple of updates which would affect either the apothecary quest or the Maltese Abbey.

Hey guys,

While helping the apothecary with his quest, I got at the lighthouse (after midnight, on foot), talked to the dude, yet his ship exploded. Then the game froze after he said the natives were attacking, then he ran away, but the natives never appeared.

According to the walkthrough, I should have been teleported to Cartagena.
When I reloaded an older save and got at the lighthouse at 23:38 the natives did appear after talking to the guy.

After talking to the apothecary again, the native appeared and they made a truce. Supposedly I gotta give the natives some opium within 5 months and that finishes the quest, but the walkthrough says it's bugged from here, so need I bother? The walkthrough claims you cant control your ship after reaching this point, but I can sail just fine. The walkthrough also says that with high enough melee, commerce and luck skill you can buy bows off the natives, but I can't despite meeting those criteria. After offering to buy a bow the native attacks me anyway.

The natives aren't gone from the port either after coming to a truce, disabling fast travel in the port area.

Playing
Build Version: Monday 17th December 2018
Build 14

The C++ error I wouldn't expect, it might be a fluke or you don't have the 2gb patch applied? But the fact the ship exploded is right. It looks to me like you missed the fact that an idian was leaving the tavern when you where making the deal there. You have multiple options to make sure the indians won't pester you at the lighthouse but if you ignore them completly they will attack you there indeed.
If you want to get rid of them you either have to report them to the officer in the prison after they tried to kill your crew member or you need to follow the indian after he leaves the tavern and see what they are up too.

Back