• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Issues Installing Base Game from CDs

Hotshot

Freebooter
Storm Modder
Hi folks!

First of all, let me say thanks to this awesome site and all the dedicated people keeping those "diamonds in the rough" alive and kicking :)
I just played Sea Dogs (bought on GoG) and with the help of this forum, walkthroughs (hosehead!!) and Mods this was an absolute blast!!

So now I want to try all the other games of this "series".

Unfortunately, PotC wont install on my machine which runs Win10Pro x64

I've tried running setup.exe with admin privileges and disabling UAC. Didn't help. Right after starting the installer I get the following error:

"The remote procedure call failed."
I can only hope anyone of you guys can help me out...

Thanks in advance and keep on keeping on!

Hotshot

Ahoy @Hotshot, welcome aboard mate!

Windows 10 tends to hate older games, specifically, older copy protection on games. That usually isn't an error though till after the install. As far as I know, it should install OK from the original DVD. There have also been reports though of the original DVD's failing over time. This sounds like it may be a data read error to me. You might have a look at the DVD's surface and see if you have any scratches or blotches anywhere, sometimes a good lint free cloth can polish it enough to read correctly.

**EDIT** This thread has been moved to the appropriate forum

Last edited:
Warning: Once you manage to get the game working, you may end up losing a LOT of time to it.
I myself have been involved with it for almost 12 years now! :cheeky

Thanks for the welcome!

First bottle on rum's on me mates :)
-------
Ok, so it should install... that ain't good. Only have this DVD. Is there anywhere I can buy this digitally? GoG unfortunately doesn't have it (yet)

Edit: oh, and I have the 2 CD version, if that does matter...

Edit2: thanks for moving; didn't really know on where to post this :-\

Back