• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Discussion Is Sea Dogs: COAS a good naval war simulator?

aks2161989

Landlubber
Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships is very cheap on Steam right now. I am interested in this game for its naval combat, and not so much for the swordfights or the story. Is this a good game for naval combat? Do ships have detailed damage effects such as leaks, fires, explosions?

Is this a good game for naval combat? If not, can you suggest another game?

Thanks

Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships is very cheap on Steam right now. I am interested in this game for its naval combat, and not so much for the swordfights or the story. Is this a good game for naval combat? Do ships have detailed damage effects such as leaks, fires, explosions?

Is this a good game for naval combat? If not, can you suggest another game?

Thanks

Sea Dogs is probably not what you are looking for, the best naval combat in games right now I would say its probably Naval Action, but it still has many drawbacks. There are some games currently in developement very promising tho, altough they arent coming out any time soon, but its at least a glimpse of hope for those interested mostly on naval combat

Sea Dogs is probably not what you are looking for, the best naval combat in games right now I would say its probably Naval Action, but it still has many drawbacks. There are some games currently in developement very promising tho, altough they arent coming out any time soon, but its at least a glimpse of hope for those interested mostly on naval combat
Thank you for the suggestions! Naval Action seems multiplayer, is there a single player recommendation?

Thank you for the suggestions! Naval Action seems multiplayer, is there a single player recommendation?

At the moment I dont think you can find a single player naval combat oriented game, but the overall pirate/adventure games, with simple/arcade naval mechanics

what I play nowadays is New Horizons: Mod Release - Build 14 Beta [Last Update:28th October 2021]

Altough Its an adventure game I mostly just play the naval side, it has a realistic mode that imo makes for the best sailing feeling among all the other Coas/sea dogs etc. Is also being ported to a new engine (maelstrom), so you can check that out if you like the regular one

WIP - Porting New Horizons to Maelstrom Engine

Other than that, there is: Buccaneers! on Steam
that if im not mistaken, comes out (hopefuly) in february (I think a public demo releases before) game looks really nice, and if you dont mind the lowpoly graphics, the gameplay (all that matters imo) looks the best on any SP sailing game yet, or at least fresh air to the SP genre.

New legendary sea dogs TEHO coming out soon I think, but naval combat is if anything more simplistic than NH, or just as NH in arcade mode so, if you dont like that first, this one dosnt look for you either

I think all other games coming are multiplayer

latest SP game with naval combat involved I remember seeing is Ultimate Admiral Age of Sail
Save 25% on Ultimate Admiral: Age of Sail on Steam
But is strategy and I havent played it yet, so I cant talk about that one

You could also try Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag. It`s a very good pirate game imo, but it has some science fiction / fantasy elements inside it. Which not everyone likes to see. There`s also Empire: Total War or Napoleon: Total War to mention. Here again, both got quite good naval simulation inside, but both are more based on strategy games play style.

Back