• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Intel Graphics Fix

Ouch! But it runs. It does run.
Indeed it does, and quite well at that. I got into a mid-sized battle last night and had a very steady FPS throughout. Even passing the camera through a cloud of smoke doesn't drop the framerate by a noticeable amount.
I actually found that, once I really started concentrating on the battle, I found the odd looking water wasn't obstructive at all. It's the gameplay that counts, after all. :D

Not any more, worse then before, and I got a little lost after reading so much cuz I am fairly new to the PC/IT field
You may want to re-read Hylie's post; he edited it shortly after posting.

Here's something odd I noticed earlier while wandering along the docks:

Intel_test4.png

Intel_test5.png
Amongst all that multicoloured crap in the water, suddenly you can see this curious pattern quite clearly.
It looks like a specific texture being rendered on the surface, and a weird one at that.
Any ideas what it could be? :read

I have never seen anything remotely like that. Could it be a reflection of the dock?

I think it's supposed to be a reflection of the dock on the sea. In the first of your two screenshots, the texture matches the left side of the dock. It's scaled up, rotated, distorted and it has bad color/ARGB transparency.

The shader effects disabled by the patch are the cause. I wont be able to fix this for a while still, but there are at least two ways to fix it eventually: removing more effects (quick), or decompiling a big chunk of the sea.dll and rewriting it (sloooo).

Ah, I think you might be right. Perhaps in the short term, it would be worth disabling the effects? I reckon the sea would look considerably more bearable without the multicoloured patches scattered around.

So, if you could remove the reflection of the sun done to the water, the sea would not have this weird problems?

And that thing about the gameplay that counts is totally true! This water did not bother me from the first minute and I am playing on low graphics with every game I have (but rome: total war and PotC: At Worlds End).

Any way, I've seen many games with Anti-Aliasing but even after enabling it, I don't notice any difference. What does it actually do?

It is a trade off. I am a: Full graphics ahead! Damn the frame rate! kind a guy. I just spent over $500 USD upgrading my 5 year old desktop just so it could run AA & AF at 8X & 16X with maximum frame rates.

Actually, the newer games are better and less AA & AF is needed. But they put a heavy load on the hardware anyway. Half the computers in use today fall below the minimum specs for modern games.

Hey man, i have a small problem with the fix. I changed it as you said but unfortunately there isn't any sea whatsoever. its not a particularly major concern so far but its just really annoying to look at. any help would be great :)

I am running Build 14 mod 2.1 and Full 2.3 Light on Windows 8 machine, with Intel graphics card.

When I installed 2.3 Light, I didn't install the Intel fix, because I didn't know I had an Intel graphics card at the time.

I was not able to load a game at all.

I downloaded sea_gmafix_hq.7z and renamed it to sea.dll Is that the correct procedure? Thanks.

It did allow me to load the game, but before loading it does say the the new sea.dll file is not a windows file, lol. Oh and it says, sea.dll - skipped. When I am in the tutorial section, there is no water outside the ship, just black nothingness.

I can also move my character sideways without him moving his feet.. Is that normal? I can even move off the ship completely in midair.

This is my first time playing this game.

Thank you

You RENAMED the 7-Zip file to sea.dll? That's not the idea, no. The .7z file is similar to a .zip or .rar file and should be extracted.
Included in it is the REAL sea.dll file you want.

I can also move my character sideways without him moving his feet.. Is that normal? I can even move off the ship completely in midair.
As per our FAQ, yes it is:
3. If I use the A or D buttons my character slides and can go through solid objects; why?
The original game didn't have sidestep, so we added it. We tried to include collision detection, but failed.
Easy way to stop it is to not press the buttons ;) (or reassign them).

There are clues here. Could it be that both Jack Sayer and bookbuster have new Intel machines and did not install the Intel fix? Deleting the 1st install and doing it again might help.

I got the impression they were the same person with different account for some strange reason? Dunno...

Thank you for your help. This is my only account and I am running Toshiba Satellite P775. It really does not have a good graphics card - then again, I really do not play many games. I am here more as a pirate enthusiast!!

I reinstalled Build 2.3 light right over the last install, and this time I checked Intel fix, and.. it worked!! The water does appear oily.. but the game has not crashed once yet. I will keep you updated as I learn to play the game.

I did this before I saw Pieter's post, before I learned that sea_gmafix_hq.7z was a zipped file. Doh, should have used google to find out what the extension was. I was wondering if anybody knows what version of the fix I installed if I did it through the Build 2.3 light installer?

Thank you!!

And to Jack Sayer, did you try all of this above?? When my sea was black nothingness the game told me as it loaded that it basically had no sea.dll file. I am surprised it loaded at all.

Through the Build 14 Beta 2.3 Light installer it is the "Build14_EU_gmafix" version.

Back