• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Intel Graphics Fix

I see! Well i used SS once on my compaq since i really wanted to run it but the comp had a intel card, treid SS and peformance was so horrible! Hopefully there will be a fix soon that will allow us to play with our intel toys without graphics reducage.

Just to let you guys know, i reinstalled the swift shader mod as per the installation instructions and returning the original sea.dll, the game won't even start. From memory though, swift shader when it worked resulted in extreme lag on both my intel computers. I feel this is without doubt a preferably solution over using that swift shader mod. Perhaps even with more people taking up the game now!

Great work to all, especially aplificar! Thanks a lot indeed! :bow
I reckon some weird effects are MUCH preferred over the dead slow performance of SwiftShader.
We could always have both fixes available side-by-side and people can decide for themselves.
In any case, it is a great help! Oh... and welcome to the "Modders" group. I dare say that is warranted, eh? :cheeky

This was the latest version, right?
http://www.piratesahoy.net/attachments/sea_gmafix_hq-7z.8883/

Yes, sea_gmafix_hq.7z is the best one of the patches (hq for high quality). Thanks for adding me to the modders group!

Although the game still crashes sometimes, for the most part, it usually loads. Heck, I was able to do a sea battle on my way to redmond island before it crashes (furthest I've gotten in a loooooong time.) I'm yet to try this fix with build 14 though.

Although the game still crashes sometimes, for the most part, it usually loads. Heck, I was able to do a sea battle on my way to redmond island before it crashes (furthest I've gotten in a loooooong time.) I'm yet to try this fix with build 14 though.

Actually scratch that, its gotten to crashing regulary again. I'm using an Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 (which is such an interesting graphics card)

Actually scratch that, its gotten to crashing regulary again. I'm using an Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 (which is such an interesting graphics card)

That's unfortunate, are you currently using Swiftshader? Does it crash in the same place, or does it appear to be random? We might be able to track it down if you posted more system specs mate.

Although the game still crashes sometimes
This happens on my computer, too. It's heap corruption, which I've tested and determined is due to something involving DirectX. SwiftShader was preventing or delaying the heap corruption. Not needing SwiftShader made another problem come to light. The sea patch isn't the cause.

... the game crashes much more frequently with the second [patch]...
The more intense the memory usage where you are in the game, generally the sooner the game will crash.

The new problem has been moved to it's own thread. A partial workaround by making the heap more tolerant of errors in Windows 7 is worth checking out.
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/heap-corruption-random-crashes.19362/

I've been trying both amplificar's first and second patch now, both with base POTC, and with build mod 14. It seems that a number of compromises need to be made over graphical quality and gameplay experience. I'll try and make this make as much sense as possible!;)

Firstly, when using base POTC for graphics undoubtedly the second patch results in the best sea effects: the first one creates cross hatching and various odd things. However, despite this being the case the game crashes much more frequently with the second one. Generally in Redmond for some reason, repeatedly, don't get me wrong it's not detrimental to the game play entirely but can be annoying if you forget to save. However the first one rarely crashes at all! I had one crash throughout the entire game, in the labyrinth on Knael Roa. So i guess if you want gameplay over quality pick the first patch and vice versa the second one.

With the build mod however, the first patch (for me at least) fails to work at all. However the second one works excellently, graphic problems aren't as noticeable, especially when you install ENB graphics!

Hope this helps :aar

Ahh, you ran into the memory bug. The Storm engine has memory errors galore. I ran memtest well over a year ago and my computer memory is fine. Most likely yours is too.
I recommend not running POTC for hours on end because it will crash eventually.
Redmond/Bridgetown is bugged. My hard drive rattles badly at every loading screen, but almost never CTDs anymore. I don't go there except when absolutely necessary.

Yes definitely, Hylie, my memory is also absolutely fine! Shame about the Bridgetown problem, but regardless considering i'm using one of the new sea.dll patches and haven't been able to play for year, minor inconveniences like this to me are nothing! Seriously hoping all the original POTC players with intel computers can find this thread and finally get playing again!

That's unfortunate, are you currently using Swiftshader? Does it crash in the same place, or does it appear to be random? We might be able to track it down if you posted more system specs mate.

Yeah, I'm still using SwiftShader, and it crashes in the same places. Sometimes I'm able to load the tutorial area, but when I'm done with it and it starts loading the port, it usually crashes. Rarely, it loads and I can proceed to finish the tutorial. That's the farthest I've gotten before it crashes, but very recently (it must of been a blue moon or something) I was able to load the Oxbay cutscene and was able to do my first sea battle in about 3 years. Also, here are more of my specs

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2350M CPU @ 2.3 GHZ
RAM: 6GB
DirectX: 11
Operating System: Windows 7 (64-bit)

Yeah, I'm still using SwiftShader, and it crashes in the same places. Sometimes I'm able to load the tutorial area, but when I'm done with it and it starts loading the port, it usually crashes. Rarely, it loads and I can proceed to finish the tutorial. That's the farthest I've gotten before it crashes, but very recently (it must of been a blue moon or something) I was able to load the Oxbay cutscene and was able to do my first sea battle in about 3 years. Also, here are more of my specs

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2350M CPU @ 2.3 GHZ
RAM: 6GB
DirectX: 11
Operating System: Windows 7 (64-bit)

I think I actually fixed my problem. Turns out I think the editted sea.dll and Swiftshader were having conflicts with each other (or something idk). I've been able to load a new game, save, and then proceed to load the game 4 more times. I'll let you guys know if I run into anymore problems.

If your feeling adventurous mate, you might try amplificar's suggestions in THIS thread.

All right, I've put about 4 hours into the game so far without crashing vanilla potc. So I decided to install build 14, but, the text appears really blurry for some reason, I thought this was my resolution or my texture quality, but changing them didn't help. Does this have something to do with Intel..?

All right, I've put about 4 hours into the game so far without crashing vanilla potc. So I decided to install build 14, but, the text appears really blurry for some reason, I thought this was my resolution or my texture quality, but changing them didn't help. Does this have something to do with Intel..?

lol fixed it.

Someone had a problem like that well over a year ago. Methinks it has something to do with config.exe.

The patch is at the bottom of THIS POST. Please let us know how it works for you mate.

Thank God and amplificar!

IT TOTALLY WORKS!!!
Even though I have the crapiest intel graphics card I've known so far, it works with high settings and no lag AT ALL!

Thanks again! Now all that's left is to be tested with the Build mod and if it works, then fix the sea problem!

Back