• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Installer includes trojan horse/virus?

The virus I found was in the uploadfiles.io version that I just downloaded to test. This was the same problem I described in an earlier post in this thread and the same download site.

@niels, I got the following response from Symantec:
In relation to submission 65686.

Upon further analysis and investigation we have verified your submission and, as such, the detection(s) for the following file(s) will be removed from our products:

File name: b14_beta4_installer.exe
MD5: b283423cde277f0227f41ccef52d2203
SHA256: aa0f56d74979e88956d72fc8699b54bea19c328262cdadf765d6b93d52e9ceb5
Note: Whitelisting may take up to 24 hours to take effect via Live Update

If detection persists, please contact support:
* Norton: Official Norton™ Support
* SEP: Endpoint Protection Technical Support

Decisions made by Symantec are subject to change if alterations to the Software are made over time or as classification criteria and/or the policy employed by Symantec changes over time to address the evolving landscape.

For more information on best practices to reduce false positives:
https://www.symantec.com/content/en...se_downloads-instill_trust_first_WP.en-us.pdf

Sincerely,
Symantec Security Response
Security Center | Symantec

It looks like this is resolved. I use AVG and it did not detect anything.

Off topic, it is a bad idea to use Kaspersky as it is used by the russian government to hack computers worldwide. How Israel Caught Russian Hackers Scouring the World for U.S. Secrets - The New York Times

Can't happen to you? My email account was hacked and used in the ddos attack on the French government during their elections last summer. I stayed in contact with them and they informed me that the attack was traced back to a certain black site in Moscow. My email was also used in multiple ddos attacks on VoteVets.org here in America. I am a member of VoteVets.org and told them to quarantine my email account. Use Kaspersky at your own risk.

Off topic, it is a bad idea to use Kaspersky
I needed a different virus scanner than McAfee, because that one was bringing my laptop down to its knees.
The recommended replacements by the local experts were either Kaspersky or Gdata.
My mother was concerned about the Russian link, so I investigated a bit.
As far as I could tell from the information I found, it did not turn to be as big a concern as originally feared.
But I did find some absolutely hilarious related stories. :rofl

Because I needed something and didn't have time to continue searching, I just went with Kaspersky anyway.
Now I have a two-year license and still no time to do anything else.
So whatever might be the case, I'll stick with it for a while. There's nothing else I can do.
Compared to everything else I've got going on right now, it's peanuts. :wp

Anyway, thanks for the warning. Always good to have a head's up! :cheers

I've launched a multi-pronged assault using Windows Defender, MalwareByte's AntiMalware, BitDefender, SpyHunter, and Symantec. I excluded McAfee due to too many unpleasant exchanges with their corporate sales force over the past 25 years, not that Symantec are substantially better. That said, it's a false-positive from my analyses as well.

But yes, thanks for keeping us on our toes. We want those who enjoy our efforts to be successful pirates, not surreptitiously pirated.

Back