• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Including sidequests in a new storyline

Noob awnser, but isn't there a line somewhere in that code that let's you edit that or something?

All Standard Storyline QuestBook entries are in RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\Storyline\standard\QUESTBOOK .
Just copy that for your own storyline and I think that should sort you out. :doff

Okay, here's an odd little question: In the main story after you help the crazy scientist the lighthous interior opens up on Barbadous. Is there a way I can have it default to being accessible?

Another. How do I make the island of Cozumel (aka KhaelRoa, the place with the temple where you fight the Black Pearl in the standard game) accessible? Since I based my story folder off the standard game it's locked so you can't go there.

I've added Reinit_KhaelRoa(); to my Startstoryline and commented out:

Code:
            //Island_SetReloadEnableLocal("KhaelRoa", "reload_1", false);
            //Island_SetReloadEnableLocal("IslaMuelle", "reload_2", false);

in quests-reaction

and

Code:
//case 20:
                    //DoQuestReloadToLocation("KhaelRoa_port", "reload", "reload1" ,"_");
                    //PlaceFleetNearShore("KhaelRoa_port"); // KK
                    //if (iRealismMode>1)
                        //AddCharacterGoods(pchar, GOOD_WHEAT, makeint(2));
                    //else
                        //AddCharacterGoods(pchar, GOOD_WHEAT, makeint(20 + rand(20)));
                //break;

in both-reaction which are the only places it shows up in my storyline folder but I still can't get there.

I CAN access it if I throw-out the quests_reaction file and start a new game (reinitilizing an old game won't work) but I'm concerned about damaging sidequests by doing that. It only seems to deal with main story items but it's long and I may be missing something.

Is it alright to nix this file?

What I am thinking of doing is making a copy of the JeanLafitte quests_reaction file and adding the CatalinaThePirate stuff at the end that deals with Fred Bob. Will this work?

Last edited:
Swapping out quests_reaction.c files just like that is probably going to cause all sorts of issues.
But the game will let you know if any of it happens. Since the tutorial is in both_reaction.c, it might not be too bad.
Jean Lafitte has an empty quests_reaction.c, because that one has all sidequests moved to both_reaction.c instead.

You don't need to remove the KhaelRoa code in both_reaction.c; that is only there to enable a Stormy Start on Cozumel.
Your first two changes should do the trick. Especially removing the line:
Code:
Island_SetReloadEnableLocal("KhaelRoa", "reload_1", false);
Because that is what prevents you from landing at the shore.

Are you able to get through the passage? That would prove Reinit_KhaelRoa(); at least does do its job.

Yes, I can get through the passage with no problem.

I'm going to comb-through the quest_reaction.c file more closely but aside from the Fred Bob stuff it all looks to be main story items. I'll know more in a day or two after doing some experimenting. Only 1 odd error when I did the switch but that doesn't mean there are no other issues.

This list is everything sidequest-wise, correct?

http://www.piratesahoy.net/wiki/original-story-tales-of-a-sea-hawk/

Last edited:
Yup. :yes

Pretty sure the Standard storyline has nearly all of its sidequest code in quests_reaction.c as well.

Here's a thought: The Edgar Attwood sidequest--I have it set-up so you start the game with a group of officers from the start. Could I go into the Edger Attwood mission and just swap-out one of their name for his and have it use them instead? It would be cool to get them involved like that and you'll likely never run into Edward since you don't end-up in the jail without the main story line.

Link Edgar to a starting officer instead. Should certainly be possible. :yes

Back