• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

How To Play On Windows 7?

ZombieFish

Landlubber
ok. i have recently got a new laptop and the OS is Windows 7. i tried to install this game but it crashes everytime i click New Game. it also happens with build mod 14. if someone could tell me how to play it on Windows 7 or if its possible to, i will be very happy :)

P.S not too important because i can play it on my Windows XP PC :woot

:gday

Yes Potc works with Win7. :) But! There are a few things that can cause it to crash. This comes up periodically, but my search didn't bring up a thread where this is already discussed. So... :rolleyes:

The first thing is to not install it into program files. Windoze security will not let it run there. Install it straight to your C: drive.
If PotC still does not run, it might be that a DEP exception must be created. This is not hard. (Data Execution Prevention)
Next would be ffdshow. This one got me. If you have it an exception will also have to be made there.

You have a lap top, so you might have Intel graphics installed. Important! When installing Build14 full you will see a box where you can install ENB and/or Swiftshader. Do not install either one. Get PotC running first. If you have Intel Graphics, then you need Swiftshader installed now.

Let us know of any questions you may have. :cheers

hi (im the same guy but i couldnt sign in to my account so i had to make a new one)

thankyou for replying so quickly. i was just wondering what i have to type in to the install destination thingy to install it to my C: drive...?

and im not sure if this helps but my graphics card is Nvidia

Curses. I don't remember exactly how it is supposed to look, but methinks "C:" is good enough. It should then create a folder to install itself to.

hi (im the same guy but i couldnt sign in to my account so i had to make a new one)
That's a bit unfortunate. Do you want your old account renamed, so your current one can be called 'Ellis' instead of 'Ellis2'? :shrug

hey :) i think im having the smame problem as Ellis...

the game seems to run fine when i first start it up and navigating the menus, but when i click new game it stops and a warning pops up saying "ENGINE has stoped working"

Anybody have ant advise to what i can do? would be really great.

I used to have a vista laptop and the game crashed alot, mostly because I didn't have patches installed. Now I have a Windows 7 and it works better than ever, especially with the patches.

I may know what your problem is though. I tried installing the build for the 1st time on an older computer, and when I tried to load the game, the screens were in Russian, it had a mixture of build 13 and 14 interface, and it crashed when I tried to start a new game. You probably didn't install it properly as that was my case as I later found out.

I also have a question that has to do with Windows 7.
I installed the game in program files and was fortunate to compleet the Jack Sparrow storyline, and to not encounter any serious problems until a few days ago. :facepalm

Is it possible to change the file location of Pirates of the Caribbean in Windows 7 without reinstalling the original game?
And use Backups of your saved games?
If Yes, How do you do that?
P.S. I like to play the game without disk.

Yeah you can copy and paste it anywhere and just run the exe, pretty sure it doesnt need a disc to run anyway :shrug

Yes, once PotC is modded it does not need the disk to run. If it asks for the disk, then it is probably the security stuff kicking in because it is installed in program files.

PotC has everything it needs in that one folder, so it can be moved anywhere and will work fine. Except program files.

Stock POTC worked without the disk for me. I think it had something to do with which version it was. I have the British one.

Back