• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

How to give my officers weapons?

con20or

Master Mariner
Hearts of Oak Donator
I got this and Tempest on a steam sale recently - its filling the spot until next NH update. Im struggling through the early missions and finding tips online for most problems but one I cannot crack is giving my officers weapons. Ive tried in the in-game menus, tried them in different slots, tried talking to them at land and at sea - nothing. My navigator only has his fists. I bought a cutlass or something and want to give him something.

Thanks

You can´t give weapons to your first navigator who is offered from the game and should also better get rid of him as soon as possible because he isn´t reliable (the prisonwarden was warning you about that) and you can find much better officers with higher skills in taverns. To all other officers you can give swords or axes when- and whatever you want. Only pistols are a different case because they will only accept better ones than they have, if they already carry one and they must have the skills for better ones or they won´t accept any changes. I recommend you to save you game before entering a tavern for the first time and reload till you find officers for your taste because they are very rare in this game and therefore really difficult to find..

Last edited:
That first navigator is basically there to act as your sailing master and sail your ship. He's not good for anything else, and you don't want to remove him from the navigator's spot because you'll take a major hit on all your stats. He doesn't need a weapon or anything else but he may be able to use amulets. Face him and press enter, then select the Exchange icon and transfer the items. Then on the F2->Items screen select the item and press Equip.

I usually look for good officers from the beginning, but you won't find any in the tavern until after you've returned from Guadeloupe and talked to the brother a second time which unlocks the sandbox part of the game. I'll keep him around until I find a better navigator or until my sailing skill surpasses his, then he's only good for whatever ship abilities he offers. I've had him quit fairly early in the game, and I've had to fire him to make room for another officer. He's never left me at a point where I still needed him.

Hook

I still have Folke Deluc (initial tutorial navigator) in my crew after 11 years of gameplay time (1662) on this iteration.
I turned him into a great boarder and an overall good quality officer.
I just rotated him into different positions over time for diverse experience, and took the shared experience perk REALLY EARLY.
Remember longevity in your crew has value over time.
I don't really care you cannot use him as a companion (ship captain).

You can give weapons, equipment, and amulets to him and use him as such to use, although as stated you have to pay him off as an officer more often than most even at max loyalty. The amulet direction is actually recommended, as this helps him be more viable early in the game especially as the navigator until his other skills come up to par. He gets switched to Chief Gunner after Charles reaches 45 navigator, then goes on purser, then boatswain. By that time, the rest of the officers are filled, and you rotate accordingly, except shipwright.

BTW, I still after all this time sail a 4th rate ship, "Sea Wolfe" to keep costs WAY DOWN, and bank the rest. I do have a 2nd rate Heavy Frigate on Isla Mona for needed missions. The "Sea Wolfe" can handle most encounters except large convoys, Pirate Hunters, or Gentlemen of Fortune easily. I don't like the tactical maneuvering of large ships as it makes them hard to fight or run, taking the brunt of damage, even when fully upgraded. I am sure I will upgrade to the "Dog of War" or Gryffindor eventually through the main quest again. I am leaving the Caleuche for last this playthrough.

Last edited:
Back