1. Dismiss Notice
  2. GOG.com logo

Thanks to YOUR votes, GOG.com now sells:
    - Sea Dogs - Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales
    - Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships

Vote now to add Pirates of the Caribbean to the list!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Under the Crossbones Podcast

A Pirate Podcast with Interviews
    Music, Comedy and all things Pirate!

- Episode Guide - About - Subscribe -
    - Twitter - Facebook - iTunes - Android -
    - Youtube - Fill the Coffers -

Dismiss Notice
  4. New Horizons logo

Quick links for PotC: New Horizons
    - Download latest version
    - Wiki - FAQ - Report bugs here
    - ModDB profile

5. GOF logo

Quick links for AoP2: Gentlemen of Fortune 2
    - Downloads and info
    - Historical Immersion Supermod
    - ModDB Profile

Dismiss Notice
New to the forum?
Please take a moment to read our Welcome Message and Forum Rules.

Need Help How many quests are in Build 14?

Discussion in 'POTC Gameplay & Tips' started by rogueranger1993, Sep 5, 2017.

1. rogueranger1993

rogueranger1993 Landlubber

I have a friend who's interested in the game, but he wants to know the exact number of main and side quests in the game before getting it - can anybody give me this number? I don't know how to go about getting it myself, unfortunately. Thanks!

2. Hylie Pistof

Hylie Pistof Curmudgeon Staff Member QA Tester Storm Modder

How many main and side quests? More than you will ever play.

3. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

Maritime Research: Project Engineer (Analysis)
    See here for full details: New Horizons Quests | PiratesAhoy!
    That list is technically out of date, because @Grey Roger recently added another brand new side quest.

So:
    8 full, unique and extensive main quests
    1 unfinished main quest
    1 free play storyline where you are limited mainly by your imagination
    35 specific side quests
    8 types of repeatable random side quests "to keep you busy"

These are guaranteed to keep you busy for quite a long while! :cheeky

4. Grey Roger

Grey Roger Sea Dog Staff Member Storm Modder

I thought you had already downloaded and played the mod. ;) So you should be able to get a quick overview of the various main storylines.

Hylie Pistof likes this.
  5. Captain Murphy

Captain Murphy Actually a Captain TOP CONTRIBUTOR Programmer News Gatherer Hearts of Oak Donator

Software Developer
    I'm gonna guess his 'friend' was asking on another forum.

upload_2017-9-5_7-58-52.png

His account over there.
    upload_2017-9-5_8-4-52.png

Hylie Pistof likes this.
  6. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

I've got to admit, because of the specific timing and subject of this question, I am surprised in exactly zero ways.
    Doesn't matter though; the number of quests in PotC:NH is no secret whatsoever.
    It is documented right here on our Wiki: New Horizons Quests | PiratesAhoy!
    Plus this page: New Horizons Side Quest List | PiratesAhoy!
    That's where I got the numbers from in my own post. Took virtually no time whatsoever.

Of course technically the length of the quests might also play a role, if you really want to compare. Plus the complexity, replayability and their individual uniqueness.
    I wish the developers on Eras the best of luck in adding an equal amount of that as we have done over the years.
    If they manage to actually do that, I'll gladly congratulate them on completing a gargantuan task! I'll be truly impressed.

I have no desire for PotC:NH to be "better than Eras" and honestly couldn't care less about the need to compare.
    New Horizons is what it is. If people like it, good for them! If people don't, I hope they have fun enjoying something else.

I haven't a clue why they're talking about the source code in relation to quests anyway.
    We've never had the luxury of the source code, yet we've added a substantial number of quests all the same.
    In other words: They never needed it and anyone on their team could add quests whenever they want to.

7. Grey Roger

Grey Roger Sea Dog Staff Member Storm Modder

If such comparisons are being made, I'd be interested to know whether the "three times the number of quests or more" for CoAS are full storylines or short, partial stories? "Tales of a Sea Hawk", for example, consists of several sections and may very well be the equivalent of several CoAS quests.

And that's as far as I'm going with comparisons. If anyone wants to talk about PoTC:NH quests, I'm happy to join in. If someone wants to turn it into a oneupmanship contest against another game, I'm going to get bored and fall sleep. :D

Hylie Pistof likes this.
  8. Pieter Boelen

According to the touchy Poll - What Version Are You Playing And Why thread:
    As far as I know, virtually all the above are technically side* quests, but they are far longer than most sidequests in PotC and PotC:NH.
    The exception is Peter Blood, which is a relatively short main quest that provides a custom opening before switching to free play.
    I have absolutely no clue how they compare in length to the main quests (=storylines) in NH.

Either way, this is comparing stock CoAS (no mods) with modded PotC (New Horizons), so it is apples and oranges really.
    Based on everything I know, none of this should have any relation to Eras one way or another.

* = I consider a "side" quest to be a quest that relates in no way to the player character. It is therefore available to any and all player characters.
    A "main" quest (or "storyline") does relate to the player character and would make no sense for any other character.
    For example, "Strange Things Going on in the Caribbean" is a long quest in PotC, but it doesn't relate to the main character and is therefore a sidequest.
    Devlin Opera, on the other hand, is unfinished (and therefore excluded from the default mod install), very short, but does relate to the main character and is therefore a main quest.
    Similarly, it would make no sense to play through the "Horatio Hornblower" storyline as "Jack Sparrow" and therefore this is not normally possible in PotC:NH.

9. Hylie Pistof

Hylie Pistof Curmudgeon Staff Member QA Tester Storm Modder

Huh. Why are the eras people so obsessed with POTC? It's almost like they have some sort of inferiority complex or something. I for one only want them to leave us alone so we can continue to mod POTC in peace.