• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help How do you select different potions to drink?

Peg Leg Rick

Landlubber
I'm playing Sea Dogs City of Abandon Ships (the unmodded vanilla game), and I'm trying to fight the skeletons in a cave just outside of Havana. If I manage to win the battle I'm usually poisoned. I have a couple of antidotes in my inventor but if I press the "X" key I only take a +40 health potion. How do I select either the antidote for poison or a more powerful health potions? Thanks in advance!

Press enter, select USE, choose potion using arrow keys and confirm with enter

Hi fjx, thanks for your reply! I pressed enter, but I didn't see any "USE" button to push so, I assume, that's why I didn't see any menu so that I could use the arrow keys to scroll to the potion that I wanted to use. I did find out that by pressing "enter" when in a building or in town it brings up locations like the Port Authority or the Money Lender so that you can use the arrow keys to scroll across locations at the upper left corner of the screen and fast travel to those buildings. However I couldn't see "use" anywhere to select. Not even in the inventory window. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Hey fjx, it just dawned on me that you had to be "in combat" for that to work. Man, what a dummy I am! It worked!! Thanks so much. If you don't mind another dumb question...

I've got attacked by a pirate ship and managed (barely) to win. I took all the goods off of the ship but I didn't have enough crew to take control of the pirate ship so I had to let her sink. Now I can't figure out how to sell the stuff I captured. None of the merchants in my starting town buys or sells them. I'm playing for the English and I'm in Havana. How or who do you sell goods to? Thanks so much!!

Hey fjx, it just dawned on me that you had to be "in combat" for that to work.
You don't have to be in combat mode (with your weapon drawn), you just have to be wounded to use medicines (health less than 100%).
I've got attacked by a pirate ship and managed (barely) to win. I took all the goods off of the ship but I didn't have enough crew to take control of the pirate ship so I had to let her sink. Now I can't figure out how to sell the stuff I captured. None of the merchants in my starting town buys or sells them. I'm playing for the English and I'm in Havana. How or who do you sell goods to? Thanks so much!!
I'm not an expert in trading in this game, but ship hold goods can only be traded in the store, not on the street. Some of them are also contraband, meaning that only smugglers you meet in a tavern can buy them illegally. Press F2 and select the Trade tab for more info on visited stores.

You don't have to be in combat mode (with your weapon drawn), you just have to be wounded to use medicines (health less than 100%).

I'm not an expert in trading in this game, but ship hold goods can only be traded in the store, not on the street. Some of them are also contraband, meaning that only smugglers you meet in a tavern can buy them illegally. Press F2 and select the Trade tab for more info on visited stores.
Thanks so much again fjx!! When you mentioned "the store", I first thought 'What store? The merchants all have stalls on the street.', and then it hit me. I'd forgotten about the building with the guy selling cannons and who has swords on the walls. I was thinking of him as an arms merchant only, but as I thought about it I do remember scrolling down once and seeing all the other goods for sale there too! Man, you saved the day for me again! Thanks so much. I'm really looking forward to getting back into the game now!

Reactions: fjx
Back