• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

How do I change the sound of a character?

Fluen

Freebooter
I have a personal issue with the blacksmith at Puerto Rico. He's grumpy (understandably after dropping red hot metal on one's feet), but he always uses a frindly sound: "Of couse, mi amigo, what can I help you with?" And I think, it clashes badly with his grumpy nature. But I haven't been able to find the place, where his sound is defined. How do I change it?

Look him up in the program characters init folder in the Isla Muelle file.
Change his greeting line. New game required for that unless you use the console.

Sounds like it'll make sense to update that for the main mod too, so when you find a better one, please let us know. :onya

As I'm about the begin the Bartolomeu o Portuguese storyline, I can just as well try your advice.

I opened the IslaMuelle.c in program\characters\init and found the blacksmith. He uses Zaid Murro's greeting. So I opened greetings_alias.ini in resource\ini\aliases. There I decided to copy Zaid's section and change it.

The new section now reads:
[Gr_spain smith]
minDistance = 5.0
maxdistance = 50.0
(I use a captal D in distance, but it causes a smiley to appear here)
volume = 1.0
name = VOICE\ENGLISH\Spa_m_a_006.wav
name = VOICE\ENGLISH\Spa_m_a_007.wav

I tried with two soundfiles, because I noticed, that is possible with other characters. Sound 006 is about Toledo steel, and what it does to a man's belly, and 007 is about owning a dog "bigger than you".

I then changed the blacksmith's greeting in IslaMuelle.c to
ch.greeting = "Gr_spain smith";

In both cases I made sure to keep a backup of the original file.

Is this correctly done? And will keeping the backup of the original file in the same folder as the changed version cause any problems? The backups are called IslaMuelle - original.c and Greetings_alias - original.ini. Especially the greetings-file concerns me, because it's a configuration-file.

I think that should indeed work. :onya

In the case of those alias files, I do recommend to NOT keep backups in the RESOURCE folder.
The game tends to load them all and when there us too much loaded, sounds start dropping out.
It's weird game engine stuff. :facepalm

Now I've realized, that almost all blacksmiths (the "sooty jewel" from Jamaica is an exeption) use the same sounds, and have begun to ponder alternatives for them. Especially Arne Sakmusson, the nervous wreck from Nevis.

I'll let you know, what sounds I choose for them, once I get irritated enough to do something about it.

Back