• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved How do I apply the bonuses that books and objects bring?

kiri

Powder Monkey
I would like to know how to apply the bonuses that books and objects bring? Should we just read the books? Someone made a post on it? And what is the use of the lonely man in the jungle with his funny construction?

Just to be sure, which modpack version are you playing?

I would like to know how to apply the bonuses that books and objects bring? Should we just read the books?
Most item skill bonuses simply apply just by carrying the item.
In case of equippable items, you'll have to equip them too.

There are a few books that unlock specific skills; in that case, you do need to actually "read" them.

And what is the use of the lonely man in the jungle with his funny construction?
You have a screenshot? There's a lot of men, a lot of constructions and a lot of jungles.

I assume you found one of the BuildingSet structures. They're just there to make the location look different from the other islands, so just for variety.
You can talk to the "building owner" standing next to it who will do his best to explain some stuff to you.
Though it could be that only works for the little shop on the shore in Speighstown port....
If you don't like it, the ingame Options menu allows you to disable the BuildingSet mod.

Thank you for this information I was talking about Pirates of the Caribbean: New Horizons

Bonuses apply automatically. But some items, particularly crystals and minerals, require you to have more than one of the item to get the bonus, e.g. Pyrite will get you +1 Cannons but you need three of them. Also, if you're playing the 23rd September and 7th October ZIP updates, each item only contributes a fraction of a point so you need several different items to get a bonus - for example, chronometer, sextant and enhanced compass each provide 1/3 of a point in Navigation so you'd need one of each to gain the bonus.

Books work the same way - the 7th October version requires you to have several books providing the same bonus just to get +1. Also, some books unlock abilities, e.g. "Advanced Blocking Techniques" unlocks the "Advanced Defence" ability. You need to read these books to unlock the ability.

As for the man in the jungle, which jungle? If it's Antigua, he has a small part in the "Hornblower" storyline. Beyond that, try talking to him and see if he has anything interesting to say...

The mod 14 beta 4.1, yes there are objects that give luck bonuses like statues, I do not know how to get the right

For example bronze cross (+1/3 luck), bronze ring (+1/3). I have to do what of the carpenter's toolkit (+2/3) to repair

The mod 14 beta 4.1
We need to know also the date shown next to the version number.
There have been rather a lot and the answers to your questions differ somewhat depending on which exact version you're running.

Those fractional bonuses show that you're using one of the ZIP updates. As I said, that means each item is providing 1/3 of a point, or 2/3 of a point for the carpenter's toolkit. You need more items providing the same bonus - for example, the book "Morgan's Missing Mizzen" should provide 1/3 of a point of "Repair", so that plus the carpenter's toolkit will give the full +1 and you'll get your bonus. The ring and cross each provide 1/3 of a point of "Luck", and the book "Drow's Double Your Doubloons" will provide the remaining 1/3.

(Edit: while I was writing that, you were telling us that you have the 23rd September version. Have you also applied the 7th October update? The screen wasn't updated in the update so it still calls itself the 23rd September version.)

Last edited:
mod 14 beta 4.1 23 september 2016
Thanks. Indeed then as @Grey Roger mentions, you are affected also by the experimental(!) change to have item bonuses reduced depending on your difficulty level.

What difficulty are you playing on?

If you don't object to starting a new game, you may want to consider reinstalling the 28 July 2016 version from here: Mod Release - Build 14 Beta 4.1 WIP [Last Update: 23 sept] | PiratesAhoy!
And then add this fixes-only archive on top: Medium Priority - Post 28th July fixes | PiratesAhoy!

Arcade Game Mode
"Arcade" is a realism setting, which can be changed independent of difficulty.
The list of possible difficulty levels is "Landlubber", "Mariner", "Sea Dog" or "Swashbuckler" these days if I remember correctly.

7th October update? I would like to be up to date with the latest ones or is that the 7th October?

Thank you for your help you answered me very quickly I find your forum really good and the work you do is great

Starting from the 28th July installation of Beta 4.1, there are now two possible upgrade paths.

You can install the 23rd September ZIP update followed by the 7th October ZIP update from here:
Mod Release - Levis' Stuff [October 7th (v2)] | PiratesAhoy!
That gets you a lot of experimental mods, including the one which you've encountered by which objects only give you a fraction of a bonus point and even if you collect the lot, you won't get more than +1 total in any one skill.

Or, starting from the 28th July installation and not installing any of those, you can instead install this one:
http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/Grey Roger/post_jul28_fixes.zip
This contains bug-fixes, most but not all of which are also in the 23rd September or 7th October updates, but this one contains none of the experimental mods. Three +1 items will each give you +1 bonus, though you can never get more than +4 total - that limit has been in place for some time.

Is there a message that shows objects and books that combines on the forum or someone can make all the list on that subject. It's hard to guess which object goes with which book to get a bonus

Look at the inventory screen. The descriptions of items and books should tell you which bonus they provide. The same descriptions should also appear on the screen where you're buying them at a store or street vendor. So if you have something which says "+1/3 Luck" then look in the shop for something else which also says "+1/3 Luck".

Personally, while playing that version of the game, I don't bother with items and books unless I have lots of money and have already bought everything else I want. Searching for three items just to get +1 isn't worth the effort. Once I've got money to throw away, I buy every item in sight just to get a full collection and let bonuses sort themselves out.

Back