• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

How badly do people want trade winds?

LarryHookins

Buccaneer
Staff member
Storm Modder
I read through the posts at Wind direction in the Caribbean | PiratesAhoy! but I want to start a new discussion on the subject.

I have all the tools and most of the information I need to do a reasonable implementation of Caribbean trade winds. It's not a mod I'd want to play myself, and it will take away from my time playing COAS, but if enough people want it, I'll do it. I'd prefer to get opinions from people who would actually use it, and commit to doing 10 hours of sailing on the decks of their ships, especially Iron Man players. Just being a good idea isn't enough reason to do the work, but let me know what you think anyway.

If you look at Windytv, wind forecast you can see what the winds in the Caribbean are doing right now. Trade winds are generally from the east or northeast at 15 knots, give or take, and some random areas having speeds up to 25 knots. There are some localized areas that are different: larger islands can create a wind shadow, and winds at Port au Prince and all along the north edge of the peninsula running west of there you'll be lucky to see wind speeds of as much as 3 knots. If the wind is from the northeast, it's the same along the south edge. I wouldn't do that to anyone, but the wind speed might be 4-6 knots. Cuba has a large band of low winds to the southwest. Cartagena has winds from the northwest at 25 to more than 40 knots all the time.

If the wind is from a constant direction, you won't be able to sail into or out of some ports. For this reason, winds within a certain distance, say 500 to 1000 yards of a mooring spot need to be random. From that point to a more distant point, the winds should proportionally change to the prevailing wind direction depending on the distance from the mooring spot.

You should not get 180 degree wind shifts ever. You might get as much as a 60 degree wind shift each hour if the random wind direction is the opposite of the trade wind direction.

The mod would have a toggle, of course. Zero is off, 1 is wind speed only, 2 is wind speed and direction and local special conditions.

Determining the distance to the nearest landfall is already part of the newer directsail code, and the information is kept and can be accessed elsewhere. The currently used wind speed and direction calculations would be mostly bypassed if the mod is in effect.

The first thing I did when I downloaded the New Horizons mod that included trade winds was comment the entire thing out after the second 180 degree wind shift. I did make a change to the wind direction to make it vary more. The only thing I've done with the COAS code was to add 9 knots to the normal wind speed, which was typically 4-15 knots, then limit the ship speed to the current max speed attribute... it acts like the wind is blowing at 18.7 knots if it goes above that. I find this preferable to using time compression while sailing.

Of course, the world map isn't affected. The rate of the passage of time on the world map can be adjusted so you won't necessarily break any quests if you can use the world map. The higher wind speeds might help those who don't use the world map. Just imagine visiting Havana, then sailing anywhere else. Personally, I prefer the higher wind speeds from a random direction.

So let me know if this is something you want and would use.

Hook

Personally I do like the idea of a more realistic weather system, but trade winds would only be one component of that.
I figure that in addition to that, you should also have land and sea breezes near Islands and depending on the time.
That would allow you to get in and out of any port as long as you get your timing right.

The next step would be to have weather changes not be random but be based on high/low pressure areas moving through the Caribbean.
With the occasional storm/hurricane thrown in for good measure.
That way, ideally, you could see bad weather coming and avoid it if you wish.

I doubt any of your above would be simple and I'm not sure it would be worth the effort to implement that into PotC.
But it does sound potentially very interesting to me! :cheers

Actually @Pieter Boelen, it wouldn't be that hard at all if you understand the weather code. It's playtesting and tweaking it to make sure it's working in a way that makes the game fun that will take most of the time. If @Tingyun comes back, I can tell him where to access the landfall information and how to use randnorm. That would be best, as he can playtest to his heart's content. :)

I've been following the winds at the link I provided for quite a while now, and there really aren't high and low pressure areas in that region. The winds just basically blow from east or northeast, but may change direction a bit to flow around some islands. It wouldn't be hard to create a reasonable facsimile of the trade winds. The most difficult part would probably be getting the winds to transition properly from random shore winds (really needed to get into and out of ports) to the trade winds.

People who sail everywhere on the world map won't be affected other than engaging an enemy ship away from land. In that case they can predict the wind direction, which should be useful. People who don't use the world map will have a bit of a struggle sailing east or northeast. Getting into and out of ports shouldn't change.

I've spent a lot of time looking at that map and where I wanted to go and thinking, "What would this trip be like if the wind was from the east?" After a while you'd starting thinking, "Do I really want to sail to one of the western islands?" because of the difficulty getting back. In my own game, I'd rather avoid that.

Hook

I'd be curious to find out how that works out for gameplay.
After all, you'd be confronted with the same challenges that people back in those days would have had too.

There must be high/low pressure areas though, right?
Those Autumn storms have to come from somewhere! :shock

But indeed the Caribbean weather is far more consistent than for certain other areas of the world.
So by that reasoning, indeed it should be relatively simple in comparison.

It would be nice if Tingyun could work together with you on this.
But I haven't a clue when or even if he'll ever be back.
He left angrily after I said a fix he proposed wasn't an actual fix.
I'm afraid he didn't appreciate that, but I'm doubly afraid it was still true.... :(

Another factor is currents, and the different wind directions in different areas. The reason the Spanish treasure fleets were able to get back to Europe is that they headed further north and caught strong currents along with a prevailing wind going eastwards. Our map doesn't extend that far north, so we'd be operating under a limitation which was not quite as harsh in reality.

Considering that as I write this, you'd have go to as far north as Newfoundland to find winds useful to sail to Europe, I don't think that's something that affects this game. It's not like we're sailing back and forth to Europe. :)

It's been almost a week, and no one's said they wanted trade winds except Pieter. I don't think it's that popular an idea. :)

Hook

It's been almost a week, and no one's said they wanted trade winds except Pieter. I don't think it's that popular an idea. :)
Indeed apparently only @Tingyun was really interested in it and he's been AWOL now for a while. Shame, really; I do like the idea.
But being practical, I think it is something to maybe pursue one day for Hearts of Oak or for a proper successor to our dear Pirates of the Caribbean mod.
It's hardly high priority though.

I like the idea on a general principle. Haven't tried it, so maybe experiencing it would make me change my mind. I'm not a regular user of DirectSail, though, only in short trips, so it wouldn't affect me that much

I just stumbled across this thread and have to say I like the idea. Anything that reduces the evil winds from constantly blocking my progress is welcome.

I used to do a lot of direct sailing in the Open Sea mod but have lost interest in it because the winds are mostly interested in stopping any and all progress. Now I only direct sail when the winds are not actively blocking me. Otherwise it is the world map or sail to.

When working on the Open Sea mod my main concern was that the merchant ships like the fluyts and pinnaces with full holds would not be able to make a long run in the 30 days allotted for a merchant run. Yes I timed out a few times but with a little luck it is doable.

So yes I would like to see this happen but know it is not likely.

Back