• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

HMS Surprise

Hi all i know this thread is kinda old, still i hope someone's gonna answer my post. I'm using GOF 1.1 and i did what Craiggo said in his post, the ship works just fine, better than the one in GOF of course. Yet the walk line of the crew is not accurate, i think the HMS_Surprise_walk file can fix this but as i said i'm using GOF and there's no such thing like that in the game direction. Just hope anyone here knows how and where to apply the code to fix the issue. Oh and one more thing, every time i switch to 1st person sailing mode i'm always in the gundeck instead of quarter deck (sorry if i use the wrong name). Is there any way to change that?
Thanks!

Yes, there is something wrong with the Surprise walk file. In POTC at every map change my hard drive goes off like a machine gun. I don't want to sail a ship that is putting so much wear and tear on my hardware. :whipa

An interesting thing happened. When I got the first English reward ship it was the old Surprise. This time the new one was installed, so I got that one. :shoot: That is correct. If you finish the main quest you can get another English reward ship! :j2

This screenie shows two things. What's up with the bow wave? Does it have bow thrusters? :nerbz Also, when at speed it shows the POTC wake. There is little to no wake at low speed. There are possibilities here.

The incorrect walk file isn't likely to be what's putting strain on your HD; that's just the model's high overall poly count.
However, I'm beginning to wonder if there's more to it than just polygons. Some parts of the ship, like 'steps.gm' and the deadeyes, cause a whole load of errors when I try to open them in GM Viewer, so it's possible those same parts are slowing your machine down in-game as well. To test this, can you compare with the Surprise how your HD handles the San Felipe, for example?
Both ships have around 100,000 polygons, but the latter doesn't have any 'error' components.
I'd be interested to see if this does make a difference, it which case I'll have to look into replacing those parts on the Surprise... and several other ships which have similar parts... :?

The bow wave anomalies are caused by the hull being composed to two main components: the root model and an extra model.
The root model is not the full shape of the hull, and that's what makes the bow wave, due to collision detection etc.
Both models need fusing together in Maya, or at least the essential hull shape of the them.

As for the wake, I'm still unsure how we can adjust it, if at all. :shrug

I'm always getting error logs with this Surprise about the walk file. That's why I think the walk file is the culprit. I posted one error.log somewhere around here last week.

While I haven't sailed the San Felipe, it has been encountered several times. I have no problems with it, although there was this one battle with 14 ships that it participated in that put a real load on this rig. There was another Man O War in it as well as a couple of battleships. Nothing smaller than a class 4 Fluyt.
thpirateshipff.gif

Once the Surprise loads into the new map frame rate is normal and the hd is quiet. It just acts like it is almost crashing while trying to load it. It is unique in this regard, so maybe those deadeyes and such are also causing problems. I remember last April or May the Constitution had a bad walk file that was causing ctds.

I'm hoping someone can look into the wake. It looks like something that has potential for a large improvement with minimal effort, since it hasn't been touched in so long.

In that case, maybe you could try making the ship use a different walk file (like the Boussole's one, for example), and see if it makes a difference. :shrug
Or alternatively, just stop the ship from using any walk files, and see if that helps.

I tried swapping walk files once between the Boussole and an old Surprise and it crashed. Haven't tried since. Anyway, I've already berthed that ship and am working on the 3rd rates.

All you need to do is replace/delete the walk file name in quotation marks, in the line 'refShip.Walk = ...' in the relevant ships_init entry, and it should work just fine. :shrug

Note that if you do it THAT way, you have to change the code INSIDE the file also.

That would explain the instacrash. :wp

I renamed the name to refship.Walk = "Surprise" , and it is still complaining about "HMS_Surprise". The HMS_Surprise is berthed and should not even be a factor at all. :glare:

Note that for a new walk file to take effect, you must perform a Reinit (F11) AND give yourself the ship again.

Ok, I finally did all that. Then sailed the Surprise to a different port. Exited POTC. Restarted POTC and then sailed to another island. There are now more error reports than ever. I'm going to sell it at the first opportunity.

Oh, it did get another walk file. The crew were knee deep in the deck.

Back