• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

HMS Surprise

Could be the view angle, but the stand looks a bit too big compared to the wheel and the rest of the ship.

Here´s the steering wheel of the Pandorra for reference: 1.jpeg

Very nice modelling, though. :)

What do I think? Same as usual, great work!
With all these updates, the element of 'surprise' is certainly gone. xD:

this ship is precious, is incredible! i love it, i like it! you're a very good modeller. if you need some piece to be retextured, i'm here to help.

Q: Did Jack not sail her with 32 guns?

I will have to re-read but is her hull not formed to bear 24 guns while her quarter deck could carry maybe 6-8 more with maybe 4 on her forecastle of smaller calibre guns. Jack's renown long nines and carronades (though we understand that mixed gun types can not be implemented in the pirates games).

Anyone know how to turn images into spoiler drop down menus?

http://www.admiraltyshipmodels.co.uk/acatalog/Surprize_Details.jpg
http://www.sailgb.com/p/hms_surprise__wooden_frigate_model
http://www.stephens-kenau.com/hms_surprise-product-view-12.html

Just some links to models of HMS Surprise, all have about 6+ guns on the quarter deck (per side) with about 4 on the forecastle.

If you want to hear my thoughts about the hold-gap on the middle upper deck, do it like in your new version of the old surprise! That would come closest to the movie version...

@Captain Hog: The photos that you've posted are of the real Surprise, the one of the books, this will become the movie Surprise, that's a partial rebuilt of a 20 gun ship HMS Rose, now docked in San Diego ;)

@Takeda-One: I have to review the movie, i don't remember how was hold gap, on the photos of the one in San Diego it was closed, but if on the movie it was open i prefer because i don't like too much it closed... :doff

She looks very nice sir! And your working really quickly! Congratulations!

I tought to one small thing tough, did you see the small promontory on the forecastle, it is a bit raised, on this photo you can see the stairs and the barrier :

surprise-deck2-r.jpg

Brilliant Work!! That ship is going to be a real treasure! The "old new Surprise" could be used as Lydia (movie version) than :keith

BTW: Do you thing of adding Bow chaser?

@Seb: I'm not sure that the forecastle's raised, the quaterdeck yes, but i think it no, anyway i'm watching the film ;)

@Takeda-One: I think yes, the ship's armed with 22 guns, 4 carronades and two long guns, added by the Captain, so she's a 28+2 guns, the two long guns are also the cannons on the stern, that are turned if necessary, so i don't know if put it on side or on the back, for you?

Why not putting them (or new ones) on the bow, for good old merchant hunting :dance

Have you ever thought about adding a visible cabin, like in one of the seaward shippacks? I think they used the Cabin_Huge for the vanilla frigate. Once I tried to add the Cabin_Huge model to my Arabellafrigate via Diaz tool, looked funny, but proved it as possible. With Maya it could be arranged for better fitting. Than you just need to use tranceparacy for the window textrure.:wp

But anywhay, the ship looks so awsome :bow

Back