• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Hmm. Boarding- COAS + CMV 3.1.5

Capt. Daniel Wolf

Freebooter
Storm Modder
First of all:

Im somewhat new in AOP2, and never played the stock.
I have a Combined Mod 3.1.5 installed, planning to -unusually- play -through- a sailing game, and dont restart my career four times a week because of active modding XD

I realised, compared to the old POTC community mods,
that in COAS (+cmv) I only have to fight through the first deck, and alone to duel the captain.

In POTC, there were two, three, sometimes more decks to fight through, to finally capture the ship.
Now here, even when capturing class 4 ships with a cass 5, only one deck to clean :p

So sinking a ship with gunfire, or to destroy its riggings, or guns, is ALOT more hard, than capture it.

Virtually, I have no chance with my corvette LS, against a 36 gun, and two 34 gun dutch monsters,
as the english brigs run AWAY. Normal odds, I think. Time to run.

But I captured two, and sank the last one.
Yaaay, Iwe won the battle, I have ships, worth more than 600.000 to sell, and the battle lasted no more than 20 minutes.........

o_O I have one million in the bank, and only a class 5 ship's captain, lvl13.
(realistic sailing, and battle, and a harder-than-normal-something difficulty)

Ok, by the start, if the other ship had 350 souls, and mine had 220, then I had no chance to win the first deck,
but since i have the musket volley, even galleons arent a match.

POTC capturing battles lasted very long sometimes. So it made you -pay- the price for acquiring the ship.

Now I can simply capture every ship from class 6 to 4, and earn horribly large sums of money XD
with only little efforts.

My question is:

Do GOF, or other mods address this?

Or is there any way to modify this? :D

I mean, making capture battles last long, making the player sweat to capture XD a ship, and/or shrinking the selling prices of the captured ships to -very- minimal... (for example, 600.000 for a captured ship is... A tad too easy but 60.000 seems normal for a ementaly-like GALLEON)

For example: making the capture avaliable only when the target's sails are below 20% will force players to -work- for the prize....

For the old times:

Greetings!

Its been a while, since I last appeared in POTC modding. At least three years I think.
Real Life issues kill me bad here.
Now I stumbled into my old AOP2 installment, thats why im here

If someone is interested, I recently have (its a sailing game, and im playing it, so of course I made one XD) my old, 3d detailed modified POTC stock corvette :D imported to COAS, so burning places, and night lights included.

and a modified captain blood, dressed up as a British Navy officer, with the proper portraits.
(and a modified Schooner skin, with "agnus dei" at the end XD)

By this time, I dont think im going to fool you again with promises about future modding, so currently only this three is complete. (and only as replacements, so no proper addons...)
If someone is interested, give me a howler, and I put up some pics, or send the gm's, and textures.

Welcome back CPT Wolf.

I and others would really love to have multiple decks to fight upon during boarding. We know this is possible to do because the Russians and Germans have done it in their versions of COAS. However, even after asking them for help no one has come forward to assist us in enabling this capability in our own Mods to include GOF. I have been wishing for this for a very long time and still hope that some kind German or Russian modder will come out of the woodwork to help us implement this.

Can you show us some screenshots of your reworked ship skins. I would love to see what you've done.

MK

Of course, I will upload some shots :)

Oh!

Sad news about the decks.

Hmm, assuming that POTC game programming hasnt changed mutch in basics til' COAS, should to check the POTC boarding files for the function, that calculates, how mutch deck you should fight thru, calculated from your ships class, crew, and the opposing force.

Sure its not the same, but maybe theres the solution to try.

I have a faint memory, that someone fiddled ALOT with POTC boarding mechanics, to produce this calculated number of decks,
and also the team searched for tons of hours to eradicate a "flying over the empty sea" bug, appearing on boarding-

So someone knows, where the boarding mechanics located in POTC :D

Maybe a good start

Well, pictures. Sorry about the quality o_O if something is not clear, I try to recapture that one.

Hes supposed to be an english navy officer- made from the french officer-like captain Blood. (dont know whos made it, really nice work!!)
Ive made him -really- pale, doesnt seem in that inside light, but hes -really- pale. XD like myself.
changed the colours to english navy, and erased the necklace.
Made the boots dark, more simple, and homogeneous, as a soldiers boot should be,
and simplified the coat a bit.

Added all 64, 128, 256, and battle portraits.

wolfchar1.jpg

wolfchar2.jpg

wolfchar3.jpg

wolfchar4.jpg

wolfchar6.jpg

wolfchar8.jpg

The "detailed corvette" is currently a replacement to the corvette SL. for me. Shame on me, I needed to replace a captured one... (for starters: its -nothing- compared to those -made from scratch- ship models i saw in the combined mod, which im amazed with, every single ship. Really nice job, lads!! But I treasure my corvette more, than other similarily simple stock corvette modifications I saw. Just because the fine, stolen, highly detailed LUGGER VML parts ... XDDDD)

Eh... All parts are symmetric :D if something looks misplaced, or wrong in angle, thats some strange fish eye phenomenon... (too close range)

The model is: started from the stock POTC corvette model. Yes, that ancient one XD

All attached new elements are from the famous LUGGER VML, and also uses the Lugger VML texture, beside the bortoutc, and deck textures.
The new elements were enlarged to fit for the corvette's size.

-changed the guns to detailed models,

-added properly the two moors to the fore,

-added the.. eh.. manpowered weight lifting wheel, currently for the two moors,

-added ship's bell,

-added rudder wheel, and rope, and the (stucked, only decoration) compass, with the compass holder.

-added a rope between the last sail's two bums, (the moving one) to hold a large flag at the end of the ship.

Made that 5 years ago. Until the current conversion to COAS.

when converted for the COAS, I added four night lights locators, (only for the deck, as I was lazy to work hours to build up the rigging lights, without knowing the rigging's coordinates, as the lights only work on the main model)

and added (working) burning places.

The textures are a little bit modified LUGGER VML textures, (iron texture for the metal parts, so brass, copper, and gold became dark silvery.....) and basicly -any- corvette, and deck textures will do. Isnt as blurry as this, currently seems really nice even on close up, but I *****ed up the screenshots .jpg converting...

wolfship1.jpg
wolfship2.jpg

wolfship3.jpg

wolfship4.jpg

wolfship5.jpg

wolfship6.jpg

wolfship7.jpg

wolfship8.jpg

wolfship9.jpg

wolfship10.jpg

Well,at the end I dont think its the best topic for this character skin, and ship model advertising... :)

Point me a proper way if you can think of any, as these currently only replacements.... o_O

The "agnus dei" skin for that schooner is a stock schooner skin, (im not sure... maybe. THis version is an overly simplified white-gray skin -damn nightlights make it look yellow- calculating that this ship is too small for windows. Maybe I changed this also to be this way... Maybe stock.) I maybe only added my brand " + agnus dei + " to her buttocks.

wolfschooner1.jpg

Shame on me, my COAS corvette lacks it.
(my good old horroristic POTC gray-white-silver skin for the corvette are sank with my old PC... Only the model remained.)

("Agnus Dei"-lamb of God on the rear, and my ship names are: Little Wolf, Blood Wolf, Carnivore, Elder Harm, and Cunning Death...)

You might want to take a look at the POTC corvettes. They received a major upgrade 1 1/2 years ago including new masts.

I like the new character. Did you make a substitution and rename that file, or did you actually add him to the character init and model list?

MK

Im glad, you like it :D

Well, I only renamed the skin, and the portrait files...
(as I modified an already started character, / ship, for the sake of gaming experience ^^ instead of modding... plus major laziness, and forgot the implication process in the past years...)

About the corvette:
this version uses the COAS+CMV battle corvette (or battle frigate?) riggings gm files, as I wanted to check the difference from the rigging I imported from potc.

So far, difference is only in the texture.

(and I use my old wolfcorvette gm for the last sail/booms, because of the new rope, and the huge aft flag)

What was changed in the POTC corvettes? Im curious-

(Hell, I cant find my -last- POTC installation, with my unexpectedly abandoned "British Navy Career" mod beta version)

What was changed in the POTC corvettes? Im curious-

(Hell, I cant find my -last- POTC installation, with my unexpectedly abandoned "British Navy Career" mod beta version)
See this thread for details of the Corvette upgrade I did back in 2011: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/corvette-v-2.18160/
Ironically, I made many of the same changes that you did. :cheeky The rigging was also modified by Hylie Pistof.

Oh, and I'm not 100% sure, but it looks as though your corvette model has reverse lighting.

Well, theres a chance for the reverse lighting in COAS :D
The last two lamps are producing light for the aft, but the fore ones near the masts are producing minimal, or no light at all, only visible light is produced to the guns.

Whats the solution for the reverse? :D

Hmm. My corvette should be in one of the POTC build mods.
14, or 15? You should bumped into it o_O

As also my "sloop-Brig", a ship, made from a Shynava I recall, with similar additions as the corvette.
(I dont find my last POTC version, so that ship is maybe a goner, if they dropped out from the build)

Nope. Never saw a light frigate with that lugger wheel. It's too bad because that is about the best wheel around.

The only way to properly fix reverse lighting is to re-export the ship through Maya with corrected normals.

I'm afraid I don't ever recall seeing your corvette in the Build Mod. If I had seen it, I probably wouldn't have made so many changes myself. :wp
However, I believe the 'sloop-brig' you're referring to is still in Build 14 as 'Shnyava1'.

Hylie: That lugger wheel is used on the current corvette, just with a slightly different texture ;).

But it doesn't have the wind direction indicator. That pedestal is a perfect place for a compass.

Back