• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Hello, Pirates Ahoy

Antiscamp

Landlubber
I found nowhere to place a short introduction message, so I'll do it here.

I am Antiscamp. The first computer game I really fell in love with was Sid Meier's Pirates! in 1987. As a young lad, I played the game to death on my C64 (later on Amiga and PC too) and read everything I could get over about pirates and the 17th century overall. Good times! Since then, pirate games have always held a special place for me, but I've never found a successor to Sid Meier's old classic that would hold my fascination. All the modern games seemed too cartoony and unhistorical, like Black Flag (great game, but no pirate simulator) for my liking and I don't enjoy multiplayer online games at all; I want single player.

I just recently found the Sea Dogs series and bought the entire series cheap on GOG and GamersGate. This is the true successor and I'm finally back into my boyhood pirate setting. Playing pirate games on a lazy, sunny saturday morning really brings the eighties back lol

I am also a modder; mostly the Elder Scrolls games. I am quite an accomplished level designer. I started creating a pirate themed mod for Skyrim in 2014 but sadly didn't finish it. It's set on a tropical island within Elder Scrolls lore, but I used a lot of Caribbean pirate references while creating it. I'll post an image of the island here as well. I would be interested in quest writing/map design for the Sea Dogs games, but don't quite know how open to that these games would be. I have alot of ideas that I'd like to implement.

Thank you, Pirates Ahoy Community for your wonderful mods of which I've downloaded and am using several. I hope to be a contributing modder one day.

UNg4NQD.jpg

UNg4NQD

Hello!

Not an active member here really but I've recently grabbed both of the newer Sea Dogs games on GOG myself after having them on CD/DVD when they were first out, such fun despite the lack of polish, the various mods definitely add a lot to all of them.

I'd highly recommend getting Pirates of the Caribbean as well at some point if you like those kind of games, similar to the newer Sea Dogs, but with more of a story.

Ahoy @Antiscamp, welcome aboard! :cheers

I can't speak for any of the other games as "Pirates of the Caribbean" is the only one I have. In "Pirates of the Caribbean", altering the map is likely to be hard, though it certainly has been done because the current map looks nothing like the little fictional map from the stock game. Quest writing, on the other hand, is wide open. Build 14 of the mod has several storylines and sidequests written by modders.

Ahoy there @Antiscamp and welcome to the forum! :cheers

Indeed there are some pretty good games in the Sea Dogs series.
Some are good out of the box and some require mods to live up to their full potential.

The 2003 Pirates of the Caribbean is technically also part of the series and was originally developed as Sea Dogs 2.
It is unfortunately not easily available these days, but it is certainly the game I'm most familiar with.
We've done so much modding on that one that it very nearly is several new games in one now! :rofl

Back