• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fix in Progress Havana ship position on exit

I double checked every one of the changes by going to the ship from the port, and looking at where it was pointing from the deck of the ship. They are all pointing in the general direction of open water. I intentionally did not try to point the ships exactly, although some of them ended up that way. I believe none of the changes point more than a couple of degrees into land, and they're all better than they were before. Most will point into water.

I do not use the world map. I have no way to fix any situations where the world map does not match the 3D map. Whether it's Isla Mona or a world map island's port not matching the 3D port, it's out of my hands. I can only fix the things I can access.

If you feel the mismatch between the world map and 3D map ports is a problem, do what I did: sail to each of the ports and adjust the numbers until they work for both maps, first with estimates then trial and error. It's easier to adjust the numbers using the console version, as that does not require a new game and can be done on the fly, without even exiting the game.

I accidentally ended up at the Turks llighthouse. That one needs to be turned 180 degrees as well.

Hook

As long as the changes don't hurt, they're good, right?
Ideally I'd want my ship to point towards the sea upon setting sail.

Fair enough, I've copied the whole file in unmodified.

@LarryHookins: if you can sort out Turtle Bay (Turks Lighthouse) and upload a version with that included, I'll put it into the fixes collection instead.

@Grey Roger New file as requested.

Y'know, posting it without verifying at least a few points...

You might want to sail to a couple of those you think are problematic for the world map and check them. If you let me know which ones you've tested that aren't good, plus a description of which direction they're pointing and how to change them, including about how far and in what direction, I'll be happy to edit the file to something we're both happy with.

You'll have to actually sail to the port and check it, as the world map doesn't always match the actual 3D model (look at Isla Mona for an excellent example of a major difference), so you won't be able to do it by estimating. If it had been that easy, I'd have reset every beach, not just the major ports.

It'll be easier for you to do the tests, and it will make sure you're happy with the changes, and you're more familiar with the use of the world map. It'll be easier for me to do the actual changes if you don't want to mess with it. Plus I've got all the information already available. If you have suggestions on various beaches and what direction they should point, feel free to post them. Degrees is better, or even compass points, but I'll take radians as well. I can convert from radians, but I visualize in degrees.

The fix for Turks including Turtle Beach for the console version:
Code:
if ( Islands[i].id == "Turks" )
{
    Islands[i].reload.l1.ships.l0.ay = 3.0;
    Islands[i].reload.l2.ships.l0.ay = 3.0;    // LDH 12Dec16
    TraceAndLog("** Fixed Turks");
}

Hook

Attachments

• LDH Island fixes 12-14-16.rar
    6.1 KB · Views: 158
Thanks!

It's not so much that I regard any of the ports as problematic. I'm used to turning the ship a little before heading out to sea, whether by DirectSail or by going straight to WorldMap. That's why I commented that several of the direction changes in that file didn't strike me as being necessary, it's just part of the procedure of putting to sea. Realistically, when a ship leaves harbour, it probably doesn't go in a straight line, it needs to steer its way out of port, so the fact that I need to change course a little has never been a big issue.

I won't have time to check each and every port, not least because that would involve starting a new game in order to read the revised "Islands_init.c" file, and I'm well into a test play of "Tales of a Sea Hawk" to check the fixes already posted, as well as continuing to develop my "Ardent" storyline. So I'll put the revised file into the next upload of the fixes collection, then if either I or anyone else reports problems, it can be altered or removed for the next next upload.

It's not so much that I regard any of the ports as problematic. I'm used to turning the ship a little before heading out to sea, whether by DirectSail or by going straight to WorldMap. That's why I commented that several of the direction changes in that file didn't strike me as being necessary, it's just part of the procedure of putting to sea. Realistically, when a ship leaves harbour, it probably doesn't go in a straight line, it needs to steer its way out of port, so the fact that I need to change course a little has never been a big issue.
True. On the other hand, turning 180 degrees every time you leave Puerto Rico does get annoying after a while. :cheeky

But I think @LarryHookins deliberately didn't make the "default heading to sea" 100% perfect, so you'll probably still have to turn a little bit.
Just less than before. That's what I understood of the above posts anyway.

I won't have time to check each and every port, not least because that would involve starting a new game in order to read the revised "Islands_init.c" file
Hook provided some console code, so you can apply these changes also to existings savegames.
So no need to start a new game to test this. :no

@Pieter Boelen already posted everything I was going to post. :)

The important thing is that you don't need to start a new game. Just put the code in the console and press F12. There is NO WAY I could have started a new game each time I made a change. I did start one new game after the majority of the fixes were in place, just to make sure they'd taken effect properly for a new game. No need to test them all, just the ones you don't think were necessary, and then if you don't save the game after the test, the changes won't be there. Just go from port to sea, see what it looks like, go back to port, execute the console code, go back to the ship and see the difference. Trying the world map is optional, but you may want to make sure it works there too.

The ports with the small changes were just to get the ship pointing more in the direction of open sea, and some may still point a couple of degrees into the land at the edge of the port. I didn't make any changes to any ports that didn't annoy me before the change.

Hook

Also worth noting: You can use console to apply the changes AND to teleport yourself to all the various ports.
So in theory, you could probably test them all within half an hour or so.

Back