• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Good ol' Pirates!

sedulius

Powder Monkey
Banned
Odd no one has put anything in this subforum for 4 years.

I must say, despite all the pirate games that have come out, the original Sid Meier's Pirates! on Commodore 64 is still my favorite pirate game, even though I haven't played it in years (due to the lack of a Commodore).

Too bad they went all Disney cartoon with the remake. I honestly would love nothing better, at least when it comes to pirate games, if a new Sid Meier's Pirates! came out that had the same gameplay as the original, but it had realistic graphics, environments, physics, etc.

Or something equivalent.

There's still version on PC (available as "abandonware" on some sites) as well as Pirates Gold! for DOS or Windows 3.1 which is similar to original Pirates! with updated graphics. No need for Commodore, for DOS version DosBox would be enough to do a trick.

pirate_kk

Very hard to find the right one and get it working, though. I'll play around with it eventually.

Well, I found a very good Commodore emulator. It's called VICE. WinVICE for Windows (normal VICE is for Linux). Anyways, it emulates a Commodore 128 and a Commodore 64 almost perfectly. The version of Pirates! I found (on www.c64.com ) seems to be exactly the same as my old Commodore version right down to the music. And honestly, out of all the versions I've played, that original version was the best. It is great to be playing it again!

I remember firing it up some time ago. Apart from being a good game, pirates was actually the first computer game I actually got into and made me spend wayyyy too much time being a computer screen :)

SM's pirates (new one) would have been great if you could have done anything else apart from making differant skins though. I did load it up on my laptop to have a play with but the resolution is too low :(

Tell you what, I'm getting my ass kicked on Journeyman right now. Apprentice is too easy, but you really need to master the game on Apprentice before you move on to Journeyman. That said, Apprentice on 1987 Pirates! isn't nearly as easy as Apprentice or Journeyman on the 2004 Pirates! They dumbed down that game.

I d/l the Sega Genesis version of the game, this will keep me busy a while till I can play CoAS again. There are some features that I wish we could put into CoAS, such as the retiring from piracy and getting an ending based on the wealth and influence you've accumulated.

The one feature I've always wished we could import from Sid Meier's Pirates are the gunport hatches opening and closing and the guns running out animations on all of their models - between each volley. If we could do that, it would be uber cool.

MK

I finished my first game with a score of 28, so then I went looking at old threads on here and saw that the average score people scored on here was over 50 :shock

What did you guys do get scores like that?

Back